PDA

View Full Version : Zabeel Progeny

hooleydooley
13-11-06, 07:45 AM
Hi CH'ers,
Just wondering if anyone has a horse by Zabeel or if they know of any quirks with this breeding eg temperament or conformation. I am looking at a horse by Zabeel and have heard they have good jumping ability and alright movers. Correct me if I am wrong but weren't there a few Zabeel horses at Barastoc this year? I Think I saw something about it in Horse Deals but can find the article.
Has anyone got a warmblood with Zabeel TB lines?
Your opinions would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
HD

belambi
13-11-06, 07:52 AM
well..in my experience I love them..interesting to note that there have been 3 maximum sabino foals by him!
http://upload4.postimage.org/1628517/ZabeelFilly_1_.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/1628517/photo_hosting.html)

Lisa an Gypsie
13-11-06, 09:15 AM
I like Zabeel horses as they are often very loyal and intelligent animals. They also make excellent jumpers/eventers as well, matter of fact is that anything by sir tristram is usally pretty good in the jumping arena.

However Sir Tristram was known for his violent personality and nasty temper and these traits can often be passed to many of his foals and their descendants. Horses of the Sir Tristram line are know for their highly sensitive natures and their spooky and sometimes erratic behaviour. So yes they are known for having several interesting personality traits, however a good horse is a good horse and I would gladly take on any Sir Tristram descendant as they are a lovley line of horses.

Many jumping breeders like to use mares with Sir Tristram bloodlines as they are a proven jumping line.

We had a TB geling in our racing stables by Zebeel and he was a weedy looking thing when he arrived, absolutley tiny. He never grew much but he did fill out alot and ended up a quite nice looking horse, just a little small. He had a fairly erratic ridden personality though, often known for taking large cat leaps and whipping suddenly. Dumped the jockey regularly for fun.....lovley to handle on the ground, not so lovley to ride :(

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lisaangypsie/Gemmaheadmorning.jpg

Sway
13-11-06, 10:29 AM
Ok Im probably going to get flamed for this, but all of the Zabeel progeny I have worked with have been a little crazy, mares/fillys especially. Now these are racehorses spelling, so haven't had the time to let down after racing. One of the mares we had was an idiot to say the least, she charged/tried to jump through a nearly 6 foot gate merely because she didnt want to be in that paddock. Cant say she would make a jumper, she didnt quite make it over. When she came to us, she had a piece out of her eye lid, a big piece out of her bottom lip, teeth missing and a few other battle scars, no doubt from her stupidity! Sje probably took the cake, the others weren't as bad. Never had one that was 100% sound either, all had some problems.
As I say again, all ours at work all look very similar, they have all been bright orange bay and all have very similar faces. Also minimal white markings. They are quite easy to pick as Zabeels.
Now I am sure there are plently of lovely Zabeel progeny around, but that was my experience with some of them.

Cheers
Sway

lorraine
13-11-06, 01:47 PM
I had a gelding by Zabeel from Paying Facility. A big (17hh ish)dark bay of a super hunter type. Very handsome, very sound and had super movement and a real big jump. Not for the faint hearted though - he was big and powerful and he knew it. Strangely sensitive too, but a pussy cat if he clicked with you (he did with me!). Would have been a super eventer had I been up to it. Last I heard he was show jumping.

annieat4444
13-11-06, 02:12 PM
Hi guys

Sorry for the intrusion but "Charlie" is a grandson of Danehill (sire) and Twig Moss (Dam) and he is one of the quietest horses I have ever had, He has a good jumping technique also. I have had a Sir Tristram Mare and she had no jumping ability at all.

My lovely Warmblood Filly on the dams side has Lunchtime and Marscay.

Beck Star
13-11-06, 03:10 PM
It must be the super jumping ability!
I HAVE HEARD (don't shoot me down if this doesn't suit you as I only heard it! Though from many people) that most of Souviner's (sp?) progeny take in his angry - super sensitive nature, even if they get crazed over nothing it is said because of him. Interesting that Sir Tristam is the same!

dressage_rox
13-11-06, 04:35 PM
I'll have to say i have also noticed Sir Tristam decendents aren't the most level headed and easiet of horses!

Lisa an Gypsie
14-11-06, 01:53 AM
oh and they are often bay :) most of the ones I have seen are bright bay.....and nutty but very talented :)

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Lisaangypsie/Gemmaheadmorning.jpg

Tara
14-11-06, 01:11 PM
I don't know why but there's just something i love about zabeel horses. yes the majority are bright bays, but Sky Heights is dappled bay, jezabeel was more a brown, Octagonal is almost black and Might and Power is a darker bay.
They can throw back to Sir Tristram's nasty-ness, octagonal's full brother, Columbia, never made it as a galloper or sire because he was just dangerous, but i don't think that they're often that horrible. However, i've heard that they can be late maturers, which is why they often disappoint as 2 and 3 year olds.
i have zabeel as my computers wallpaper, he's so pretty!