PDA

View Full Version : Manuka Honey???Has anyone used it??

zl2_
29-12-07, 11:50 AM
Hi all,
Manuka honey has been recomended to me to treat quite a large and deep cut with proud flesh starting on my 4yo quarterhorse filly but im just not sure as I need for the scaring to be as minimal as possible??? Does any have any suggestions on this honey or any other product?? Cheers zl2 :)

Kaddy
29-12-07, 11:58 AM
I have used honey with great success - although I didn't use Manuka, I got some from a local bee keeper, unprocessed tea tree honey. I should have taken pics of the injury thru the healing process, because to look at it now you wouldn't believe how nasty it was. No proud flesh at all & it healed before my eyes. I just cleaned the wound & generously applied the honey to a cotton wool pad & then bandaged on. Changed it every two days.
The horse I used it on is a broodmare, but I would have no hesitation in using it on my show horses.

zl2_
29-12-07, 12:02 PM
Hi Kaddy,
Is the honey the only thing you use or did you start with anything else??
zl2 :)

Kaddy
29-12-07, 12:04 PM
I used Dermaclens for a couple of days until I could get the honey, which the lovely bee keeper delivered to me on a Saturday.

That was all I used.

chas2
29-12-07, 12:07 PM
Hi there
Yes we've used it and highly recommend it. Even used in some hospitals I gather.
Apparently you should only use Manuka as it appears the Teatree from which it comes has some medicinal properties.
My brother who is a Vet has seen its effects and recommends it.
Cheers
Charles

zl2_
29-12-07, 12:07 PM
thanx heaps for the info
cheers

zl2_
29-12-07, 12:09 PM
Hi Chas,
Any scaring ??
zl2

centrelink
29-12-07, 12:17 PM
Have seen some remarkable results with honey depending on what type of wound and what your vet recommends go for it.

Red Dun
29-12-07, 12:26 PM
Hi zl2

Have a look at this story. The owner used unprocessed honey (same as Kaddy) with remarkable success.

Best of luck.

P.S.: Please be prepared for this picture!

http://www.crazy-horse-designs.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=170

kelli
29-12-07, 12:29 PM
highly recommend it

craemma
29-12-07, 01:21 PM
Have had success with using raw unprocessed (unpasteurized) honey on a large wound that was basically a massive 5cm diameter hole that had to fill in with granulated tissue (large hole due to surgical removal of nasty fibroblastic sarcoid on front of fetlock).
Have also used on some nasty unstitchable fence wire injuries, healed up very nice and clean, minimal scarring.
I looked into Manuka honey at the Chemist, $30 for a tiny little jar from memory, I went the cheap skate option as i thought it was a 'long shot' potentially, but it worked out great all the same.
As other people have mentioned, go to a local apiarist (Beekeeper) and purchase, make sure it is unpasteurised - the stuff you will buy in the supermarket will be pasteurised, this is virtually useless.
Friends have used honey on wounds and left them unbandaged and uncovered.
On both occasions I covered the injury site. Ladies sanitary...hmmm, err you-know-whats-its are great and convenient, smear with honey, slap on the wound, then vet wrap.
You did say you have proud flesh though, I am not sure if honey is going to help that. 'Yellow lotion' applied to wound healing in the above manner I have found good for dealing with proud flesh, although there are a lot of other products that I am sure many people will recommend also.
Good Luck!

craemma
29-12-07, 01:23 PM
Hi Red Dun,
Cannot view, you have to register and become a member to view?

Ellemac
29-12-07, 01:47 PM
Manuka honey is one of the best wound healing products you can get especially if you can get your hand on some with a "unique manuka factor" of 15 + but even 1 with a rating of 5 with do the job well. Its reasonably inexpensive compared to other chemical based wound healing products and it is honestly fantasic. I have used it on numerous gaping wounds some even with large amounts of prond flesh and none of my horses have any scarring at all. I was sceptical when i first used it but now I will not use anything else. Manuka honey is used in many hospitals to fight drug resistant super bugs etc. Its also good to add some to the feed every now and again. If you can get your hands on some collodial silver as well that stuff is also amazing you add some to the feed and wash the wound in it then put the honey on over the top. You can also get manuka cream if you do not want the mess of honey. Wash in wound in a mild saline soloution also halps speed up the healing process and make sure your horse is on a good diet as this contributes highly to how well and how fast any wound will heal.

Good luck hope eveything goes well. Its so horrible when you walk into your horses paddock/stall and see a large gaping wound isnt it?

SKIPPY123
29-12-07, 03:16 PM
Highly recommend it. Used it for 8 weeks when TB mare broke her splint bone and we had it removed.

She has very little scarring.

Bought it from my local health food shop. Also used it for them while they had EI. Made it up with luke warm water for them to drink.

Skippy

teetee
29-12-07, 03:21 PM
I have also used sea minerals ointment a couple of times which I have found really great for nasty wounds, you do have to clean the wound regularly in order to avoid scarring. Have a look at the article in hoofbeats a couple of issues ago, the process of debriding which I have practiced without knowing it lol :)
You should be able to avoid proud flesh by stripping away the outer scabs to stimulate new growth.

There is an old wives tale that says horses are opposite to us, if you pick a scab on a horse it is less likely to scar, it sounds weird but I have found it to be true of the wounds my pair have come up with.

Most recently my gelding put himself through a friends fence while I was away, he got massive lacerations across his hock and he has a bit of scarring because I was away for 2 weeks and he wouldn't let my friend clean it out. Once I was able to get to it and clean it up and put some sea minerals ointment on it it healed really quickly.

My vet has also used alogard on fresh wounds to keep out infection (because of the tea tree oil) and to minimise swelling.

bindi123
29-12-07, 03:48 PM
Ellemac is correct. Manuka Honey has both antiseptic and astringent properties. This honey will PREVENT proud flesh as it turns into a natural occuring peroxide.
The encouraged circulatory process can be seen with your own eyes.
Just clean the wound and slap on the honey. Watch as the capillaries around the wound swell and redden with new fresh blood!

I have written some articles on its amazing results and can vouch for its successes.
It is also used in many hospitals to heal ulcers that won't respond to other medications, and post surgery for things like mastectomies.

It will leave minimal scarring.

Although expensive Manuka Honey is the very best for wound healing as it has the scientific research to back it up. Google Manuka Honey and see what comes up!

You will notice a marked improvement in the apprearance of any wound in 2 days.

Cheers,
Bindi

chas2
30-12-07, 02:14 AM
Minimal scarring, in fact some of the best results we've seen, and as I said impressed my brother who is a Vet.

BarebackGirl
30-12-07, 03:15 AM
Hi there,
I understand your worry.

I tried Manuka honey, the above is correct in that it seems to work, but no one mentioned to you that it's also extremely messy, and - if your horse realises it's edible, he'll lick it off the minute it's on, so the uncovered option goes out the window.

I had success with it on an open would on the lower leg, but then the whole affair got messy, the horse realised it was good to eat, and on one occasion - stop reading now if you're eating at the computer - I put it on, and before I could whack on the gauze he whipped his head around, stuck his tongue/teeth on the wound, and ripped off the whole scab with all the honey on it - wound reopened and took oven longer to heal. It could be said that I could have been quicker or had him tied shorter but it does get messy for sure.

From the above posts, I find Creammer's post (sp!) to be spot on advice,
(although don't think I'd try uncovered with honey again!)

In the end I left it uncovered to the open air and used Cetrigen and Yellow lotion, then no- scar and moisturiser in the following weeks, now there's no scar at all.

bindi123
30-12-07, 05:23 AM
Yes Honey is messy but tying ones horse to doctor it is a must...for its safety and yours.

Buy a packet of Chux wipes......cut in half and use these as wound dressings. Wrap with Vet Wrap and then use electricians tape top and bottom of vet wrap bandage.

You can apply some foul tasting stuff over the top for sniffers and chewers.

Things like Cetrigen are very drying for open wounds......drying will lead to scarring as scabs forming is not what you want when closing wounds over.
You want moist healing to encourage the wound to heal from the inside out.

Honey will make tissue cover a bigger area very quickly.....once filled in you can leave bandages off for a few hours provided they won't be knocked or banged (taking you back where you were).

Always keep scabs moist to limit scarring!
Good old PawPaw Cream can be applied with no bandage later with some fly repellent lightly sprayed over the area and the leg.

Cheers,
Bindi

gdh
30-12-07, 07:00 AM
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=11052

If you're not a member, join, it's free.

Red Dun
30-12-07, 10:40 AM
Awwww, sorry ladies

Have a look at post 44 on this thread:

http://www.cyberhorse.com.au/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=39050&forum=equestrian

And then have a look at post 37 on this one.
This is 20 weeks after the injury, using unprocessed honey.

http://www.cyberhorse.com.au/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=41825&forum=equestrian

belambi
30-12-07, 04:07 PM
you can now buy manuka honey in woolie (honey section, nothealth food section.. around $11 a jar. Does a great job!

simigirl75
30-12-07, 04:31 PM
Yep Belambi, I bought mine from coles. Had it in the special bin for $3. It wasn't the high rated stuff but my horse took skin off a large area on her back hind. I only used the honey on it twice and there is no scar at all. I could see it starting to heal on the second day and in a couple of weeks it was all gone. AWESOME stuff!!

I've used honey several times on injuries. I generally don't wrap it if it's in an awkward area. I just apply comfrey powder (good to stop or reduce scarring) or antiseptic powder. This also keeps the flies off.

Simone
http://www.ozhorseforum.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=2&

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/araluendemo.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/simigirl75/HannahKingandZari.jpg

Shelz
31-12-07, 09:10 AM
Manuka Honey works great, just keep your cat or dog away if your horse kicks cause they will want the honey!!!

Other solutions are cod liver oil and sea minerals and above all try to keep your horse in a clean environment if possible (i.e. stable cleaned in tea tree oil etc)