PDA

View Full Version : Catch A Bird

Color
25-08-04, 05:15 PM
Where can I find info and website for this TB stallion? Thank you.

Henrys_hill
25-08-04, 06:19 PM
http://www.studbook.org.au/asp/SHFnMenu.asp?hid=152594

wazmons
25-08-04, 06:42 PM
He's the striking TB with the roan markings isn't he. I think I saw him for sale in a reccent issue of Horse Deals.

He is also registered Aust stock horse (breeding permit only). Check out : http://www.ashs.com.au. Click on horses to access the on-line studbook

Color
25-08-04, 08:04 PM
wazmons, could you get me more info of the owner and perhaps a website if he is for sale please. But he is already 22 years old, why would one sell such an old horse? I would not! My old ones always stay with me.

Color
25-08-04, 08:06 PM
I am looking to buy a female or male TB papered offspring by him that has the roan color (dark head and legs and light body), but if he is not too expensive for his age, then I might well go for himself. Thanks for help.

wazmons
26-08-04, 01:51 PM
"Catch a Bird" was advertised on page 39 of the May 2004 issue of Horse Deals.

He is standing at Tildara Stock Horse and Standardbred Stud located in Geelong, Vic. The phone numbers are (03)5282 1639 (recorded message) or 0419 303 212

Glad to have been able to help (he's a stunner). I'd love to put him over my mare but can't afford to breed this season (2 fillys already):7

wazmons
26-08-04, 02:06 PM
BTW I also like to keep my old guys until the end. My second pony died earlier this year at 34 years old and I still have my long retired show hack

Color
11-09-04, 12:10 PM
wazmons, thank you for the information. Do they have a website?

wazmons
16-09-04, 01:16 PM
No website that I'm aware of. Good luck!

Cass
10-10-04, 02:26 AM
Is that the same catchabird which was racing in Perth in the mid to late 80s? i remember the horse as a kid, he was a funny looking thing with all crazy marks all over him. Same horse?

colorful
28-10-04, 08:42 PM
I think he had some kind of stripes. They call these brindle markings. Must be the same horse. He did not produce his own markings but produced several roan TBs. I am trying to find out how many of them are in existence and if they are already roan in the next generation.

EPL
03-11-04, 01:51 AM
He has produced quite a few roans, but nothing 'striped' like himself that I am aware of. Unfortunately the stallion has become infertile.

EPL
03-11-04, 01:57 AM
and sorry, there are two of his progeny forsale in the November HD's on page 280.

buddy
08-11-04, 06:51 AM
Are they ASB? One of them is silver roan.

Naomi
22-11-04, 08:03 AM
Hello,

I have Catch a Bird and have had him several months due to the previous owner no longer wanting him due to his "apparent sterile state" which as yet hasnt been proven ask me in a few months time as by then i should know if my mare that is his paddock mate is pregnant.

The state that i picked up this stallion in wasnt very nice underweight and extremely despressed. He is now a very happy horse.

If you would like more information please email me on presumptiveruler@hotmail.com and i will give you my ph. number

regards

naomi

naomi
22-11-04, 08:06 AM
the silver roan one in horse deals is half standardbred. I believe the woman still has an asb colt that has the roaning.

cheers

naomi

naomi
22-11-04, 08:08 AM
yes it is the same horse that raced in perth and was living there up until about 5yrs ago.

regards

naomi

naomi
23-11-04, 01:23 PM
here is a web page that was made up for him by the previous owners in western aus.

http://members.aol.com/brindlehos/bird.htm

colorful
26-11-04, 04:59 PM
Can someone please post a copy of the horsedeals ads? Or is there a link? Thanks.

Bel
26-11-04, 05:15 PM
The horse deals website is www.horsedeals.com.au, they have a search engine so you could probably put Catch a Bird in and see if it comes up.

Cass
27-11-04, 12:15 PM
Its quite amazing where horses end up as they age. Catch a bird wasnt a bad 2yo i remember he was trained by bryan omalley and i think laurie connell owned him. He must be an old horse by now, i sorta remember he looked like a zebra, very odd for a racehorse. I havnt seen one like him since.

wazmons
27-11-04, 08:52 PM
Hi Colourful,

I still have that issue of Horse Deals. If you'd like to email me at wazmons@hotmail.com with your address I'll photocopy and post the add to you.

Good to hear somebody has got the stallion and he's being cared for. I wish I could have put him over my mare (she's a bay TB but both of her foals, by different dads have lotsa white ticking)

Naomi
29-11-04, 02:39 AM
hi,

Baz re Catch a Bird is the ripe old age of 22 now and if you want to see what the old boy looks like these days please feel free to email me as i can show you current pics like i could take more today. This old stallion has one of the most beautiful temperaments that i have seen a total sook and loves attention. He is still active in trying to cover the mare with him but it remains to be seen that in a happy state that he is now in if he is still fertile. He was never tested to see if he was infertile by the lady that had him but the conditions he was living in would be enough to depress any male from wanting to try.

cheers

Naomi

Naomi
07-01-05, 09:22 AM
HI ALL,

Just thought i would let you all know that as i believed all along Baz (Catch a Bird) is not sterile at all.

I recently was told that 2 foals dropped this current season from him so that the sterility was prob more the mares living conditions that prob stopped the mares wanting to breed.

He is currently living a life of luxury with his wife Honey and with the action when she came into season recently we may have a Foal in the later part of this year

cheers

naomi

code45
08-01-05, 02:25 AM
Oh wow Naomi. You will have to post pics when the foals come along. Good luck!

brumbyjil05
27-05-05, 04:40 AM
hello all

been awhile and havnt been able to this stage get pics for the t fillys that dropped early this yr from Catch a Bird

Now you prob think im mad but just under two weeks ago I decided that Baz (catchabird) needed something to perk him up in life so at the grand age of 23 he is now a riding horse again. I believe its been at least 16yrs since he had been riden but he like the gentleman that he is is taking it in his stride. Actually he loves it pushes me to the gate so I will get on and go out and ride around town. They say you cant teach an old dog new tricks but I think they are Wrong as this old fella has been going over trotting poles like he has done it all his life

Just had to share that with you and hope that his fertility rate will improve with him having interests in life as I want to put a few mares to him in the spring

cheers

Naomi

Billybingbone
05-07-05, 12:57 AM
Catch A Bird (NZ) 1982

Aust.Id.: 152594 bay or brown stallion Date of Birth: 14/10/1982

Microchip Number: N/A family C25

by Noble Bijou (USA) 1971

from Showy Countess (NZ) 1969

Natural Player
05-07-05, 03:25 PM
He was advertised in the Horse Deals in 1999/2000 also. I think he was free too. I remember the colour. 2 of My ASB mares(mother and daughter)have sabino in them(i'm told by a paint breeder) I don't know much about paints but I'd like to see what sort of foals we would get if they were put to him.

Miss Kate
25-09-05, 12:09 PM
To all who are interested in this unusually coloured stallion.....
Today at Belmont (WA) in the second race was a mare named Lilac Hill, a 2000 mare registered as a bay, but she is a true bay roan (darker head, mane, tail and points). When I looked at her on SKY Channel, she is not a bay - too light in the body colour and displaying all the characteristics of a bay roan. She lost her rider going into the straight after suffering some interference, so didn't finish in the placings.
I was intrigued enough to look up her pedigree and she is by Zedrich (chestnut) out of Slip Catch (bay) by Catch A Bird. I would presume that Slip Catch really is a bay roan and that Catch A Bird's ability to produce bay roans from chestnuts is alive and well.
Jeanette Gower's book "Horse Colour Explained" talks about Catch A Bird and describes him as having "vertical rows of white spots without underlying pink skin, joined like stripes primarily over the ribs and hindquarters." Jeanette goes on to say that in 40 foals out of four foal crops, four foals were born bay roan (all from chestnut mares).
After re-reading this section of the book, Slip Catch is one of the bay roan foals named (but the ASB calls them bay with ticking) and her colour phenotype has been confirmed by bloodtyping.
To the person who asked (ages ago) if the next generation are bay roans, the answer is YES.
How is the old man going? Is your mare in foal, Colour?
Please keep us up to date.
Cheers
Kate

Miss Kate
04-10-05, 11:29 AM
***bump***

Miss Kate
06-12-05, 06:24 AM
**bump**
As there is some discussion on the Equestrain Forum regarding coloured TBs.