PDA

View Full Version : Single float v's Double float

Christine (Guest)
09-07-01, 02:55 AM
Hi there everyone. Well I don't have a float, however I will be buying one before next year.
I'm wondering if people can give me the pros and cons of singles and doubles.
Also, the pros and cons of any open float and closed in float....
I see people driving around with singles and wonder how safe they are.
I have a friend who is adamant that they are dangerous.

Thanks in advance people. :)

Christine

Farrago (Guest)
09-07-01, 03:03 AM
I don't believe a well built single float is any danger. I had one for years. I believe a double is more versatile, you can take feed with you if ness or a friend to help travelling costs. Plus a lot of horses like the extra space.

horseyhoney
09-07-01, 03:20 AM
a single float is a lot more dangerous than a double horse float alot more accidents happen in a single horse float than in a double!so if u want 2 risk u and your horses life that little bit more buy a single float!u c thats y most pplz have doubles!single horse floats r aot more dangerous and so much more un-stable!i would never buy a single or let my horse b floated in1!alot of pplz might think different but they might never have seen 4 single float accidents!!!!!!!!!!!!!
didn't mean 2 scare u but i hate single horse floats!
luv alwayz horsey honey!

eMa
09-07-01, 04:11 AM
the danger with single floats is that most are single axle and therfore only have two wheels... if you get a blow out with one tyre or a wheel comes off (i have had that happen with my double float) - the float will more than likely tip over as the axle will hit the ground on one side or if the tyre bursts will cause a strong drag to that side and also cause it to tip.

if you get a single float, get one that is dual axled as this will make it 100 times safer.

if you have a problem floater you will find it difficult to get it into a single float as they are alot more claustrophobic for the horse.. and is dangerous if you have to walk onto the float in front of the horse....

buckskinremi
09-07-01, 01:19 PM
Well my 2 cents worth guys.
I had a single axle single horse float for years it was cheap ($300) and it was light for my commodore, it was open and yes it was an eye sore BUT I reckoned it was the best thing since sliced bread! That little float went every where and boy did it do some Kms!
I loved it, yes I knew the dangers, as has been stated in the other opinions above, but not once did I have a problem.
I always made sure the tyres were pumped up correctly,I never drove fast with it on and I put new tyres on once a year, yes every year I owned it! I always said the tyres were worth more than the float.LOL
As for being "Open" I reckoned it was good for the ponies to see abit of the world. My horses never moved when a great big coal truck came up beside or behind me.
I would still have that single float if it wasn't for the fact my double came up at a very very cheap price for what it is. (Olympic Deluxe,no rust, 8 yrs old and cost me $2000)
And well I now show two horse at a time so it would be abit hard trying to get the two to shows in a single float!
While I love the double I will always love that little single, so if your budget doesn't stretch far enough for a double go ahead and buy an "open" single. Your horse will ove the cold breeze on his face.

Cya
BSR

Susan (Guest)
09-07-01, 01:27 PM
If you can afford it buy a double float. But if you can't and your horse is a VERY GOOD traveller then consider the single.
Good luck.

horseproblems
09-07-01, 02:52 PM
Single floats with two wheels are a danger to horses and other road users. I have followed them and seen them coming off the ground on bends.

IMHO, single floats will be banned by the Road Traffic Authority
in all States. I do admit that I have seen the rare one that has had double axles and has been a bit wider than most, but as a general rule, I wouldn't entertain one.

If you think about the width versus weight and height of a horse, you can soon begin to visualize the dangers involved. I can walk up to one that is not hooked to a car and tip it over.

Open versus closed? Horses prefer open and they do not worry about traffic. Humans prefer closed.

Stick with a double. :-)

Carly (Guest)
10-07-01, 02:41 AM
Christine I have to say that single floats are death traps. The first problem that you would incur would be trying to get the horse to walk into one, they are a small, scarey, dark things for horse's to walk into... and for that reason not many horses will be inclined to float in one. The other thing about them is because they are so tall yet not very wide they are unstable on the road, as in when there are strong winds the float will be pushed around.
I seriously recommend a double because of there size horses feel more comfortable floating and will ultimately make it a lot easier in the long run. Plus you will definately be happy about the extra space to store things, and its good to be able to help out friends occasionally with floating... so its good to have the extra space.

JWA (Guest)
10-07-01, 05:32 AM
To add to the problems already mentioned with singles. I have followed one on a narrow bitumen road, I went to pass and they pulled off the bitumen. There was the usual reasonable drop of a few inches from the bitumen to the gravel and when the float wheel went off the float dipped on an angle. The horse must have fallen onto that wall because of the change in angle and the other wheels came off the ground and they almost tipped it over. I was sure it was a goner and I don't know what stopped it falling over, perhaps the horse fell down or the chains stopped it or they hit a patch of high gravel. I have also tried to help load frightened horses on single floats at many pony club days. Personally if I was a horse, I would refuse to load on a single float.

Liz (Guest)
10-07-01, 08:15 AM
Hi Christine

The replies above seem pretty unanimous - but my 10c worth...
I floated using a twin axle single hire float for quite a few years, it was open roofed.
Never had any problems loading or unloading with it, although your horse needs to be trained to walk on by himself, its not really safe to walk on in front of them.
My horse was transported regularly to comps and riding club rallies and never showed any concern so I deduce that the experience can't have been all that bad for him.
I bought a double last year - fully enclosed - and its great. On a rainy day you have somewhere for you, your horse and your gear that is dry. You can camp in it comfortably, horses travel just as happily.
I think if you are investing in a float it is probably a better investment in the long run to go with a double. The 2nd hand market for a double would be better than for a single, I would think.
Hope that helps
L

amjs (Guest)
10-07-01, 10:34 AM
I would recommend covered, double with dual axles and don't get one of the ones with the huge window at the front.
A friend's mare tried to jump out of a float with no roof. Fortunately all ended well and she had a roof put on the float!

Another acquaintance who trains racehorses had one jump through the window at the front of the float and land on the boot of the car. Fortunately they were going slow at the time so the horse was not seriously hurt (eventually went on to win a few races!)

It probably goes without saying but have the floor thoroughly checked out.

Welshie (Guest)
10-07-01, 11:46 AM
Have to disagree, having spent a number of years helping a friend who floated horses for other people in a single float, I found none of the horses had any problems in it. Would definitely recommend a good solid dual axle float, Coachmen used to make a good one. What is most important is the towing vehicle. Unless you have a heavy duty vehicle such as a Landcruiser, you may well be safer towing a lighter single rather than double float. Agree that horse prefer open floats, really depends on what you prefer. Also, what is the difference in loading a horse on a single float and loading the second horse on a double float?

Christine (Guest)
13-07-01, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Christine

Jacki
14-07-01, 04:15 AM
My little bit of input too......

Have never personally had any trouble using a single, however I always use a double float. Why?? Just in case the horse has problems and falls down...........you need the extra room in a double to be able to help them up. I always wonder how you would be able to get in and help a horse up in a single float.

Just purely a preventative move on my behalf....never had any bad experiences with singles......but definitely prefer a double.

me and me (Guest)
14-07-01, 01:11 PM
Pro's: Ummmmm
Con's: They look stupid
Some horses get claustrophobic