Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Good people who continue to make dumb mistakes

Why oh why do people buy and pursue horses that are clearly unsuitable? Or more to the point, why do parents allow their children to ride horses that continue to buck, rear or otherwise throw their children off?

I can only put it down to the romanticised thinking of “sure the horse bucks, but he is really sweet” or “they are learning together” or forgetting that it is the rider’s neck on the line?

Ignorance is definitely a factor. However, ignorance turns into something else when said people continually ignore the advice of multiple instructors and riders because the ‘love’ the horse so much ...

I guess I just cannot ever imagine being ok with my child sitting on a horse that is known for such behaviours. Maybe that is the control freak in me, but while I had control of what they sat on, I can’t imagine choosing such an animal knowingly.

Maybe it’s the instructor in me that has seen it happen over and over again, and know all too well what an unsuitable horse can do to a previously keen confident rider.

*sigh*

I feel your pain
    Friend has been riding for 20 years, since she was 2
    On her third horse in less than 12 months
    Unsuitable choices, thousands of $ lost
    Sigh
    '..his neigh is like the bidding of a monarch and his countenance enforces homage.'
    Shakespeare

jumpa I honestly can't figure out how some people think so stupidly. I have come to the conclusion that they don't a) engage the mind. (I have heard people claim that they don't like to think which is why they love lots of noise and mayhem around them)
    b) bury their heads in sand either through ego and pride or
    c) guilt. they are raised to feel guilty about things all the time. I see it in abundance on cyberhorse. they confuse guilt with love. and if it is love...
    d)they have their own separation anxieties. you know the sort. people who can't stay single for five minutes and dream of babies.

add these components together and you get a real stupid person.
    ‎"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

So rather than ranting about it, Jumpa - give us your views on how you going to fix this.

I take it you are the said instructor and if you have leadership skills as well as technical coaching skills it should be a doodle for you.

People make decisions all the time that don't always work out the way they think they will. Rather than judge them and call them stupid, an emotionally mature individual can help them make changes to improve the situation.

Maybe they don't want to be seen as giving up on a horse or being a quitter.

I dunno...you'd hope that along with that they'd be doing as much as they can to rectify the problem...

But yeah. That's just what I think.
    - There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away -

I have been doing a fair bit of instructing recently at my old pony club. So many kids on unsuitable young ponies. What happened to kids riding geriatrics? Thats what I learnt to ride on and I'm no lesser of a rider.

It's sounds like jumpa has tried to help. I don't think it's a matter of giving up on a horse. Ok so it doesn't work for you there will be someone else looking for a horse like that.

The one that gets me. Very short ladies riding big dressage warm bloods. Don't get me wrong there are a lot that are more than capable I'm talking about the ones that then have to get other people to ride the horse because it's too much for them and they are scared of it. Buy a suitable sized and a suitable temperament horse and you will have so much fun.

LOL I can so relate J!

I know of a girl who has just bought her third horse from the same dealer- the two she already has are totally unsuitable and the dealer has come up with reasons as to what "she" did to ruin them, so they are now paddock ornaments because she "loves them to bits" (at least she isnt still riding them and getting burried each time she did).

I have no doubt the third horse will also be unsuitable as it strongly appears that the dealer bought it from a market two weeks earlier and has not even ridden it outside a round yard (syas it all doesnt it!). You gotta love the horse grapevine for finding out info!

If she had combined all the money she has spent and put it towards a good decent horse she would be a lot better off; and not running a retirement home for rogue horses

This post was about a trend I see, rather than one particular instance.

I will go out of my way to help people that want my help. I am happy to take said mount on, do lessons, or suggest other trainers if necessary. However as you can appreciate, not everyone wants help for whatever reason (or take on board what is said). I am not in the habit of giving advice to people who do not want it (or seek it out). Furthermore, I am not always the instructor in the scenario, nor always in a position to offer help.

Just four examples off the top of my head.

Example A) Non-horsey parent goes and buys a flighty 4 yr old riding pony for child without an experienced person there. The child had been riding less than 12 months. Potential train wreck?? Lovely parent, however the difference between a old schoolmaster riding school horse and a 4 yr old riding pony is extreme...

Example B) Teenager gets a horse that drops the head and bucks often when rider gets on (classic cold backed horse). Rider has fallen off more times than you can count, and confidence/enjoyment has decreased significantly. Multiple instructors and observing riders have said to teen and parents that the horse isn’t a suitable mount. Multiple have provided strategies to help, however parents don’t listen.

Example C) Beginner gets fiery OTTB because it is cheap... need I say more?

Example D) Family lease a horse for oldest child who is capable. Horse is known for bucking on occasion, and family is warned never to put the younger kids (who are beginners) on said horse. After a short period of horse being well behaved family go against owners instructions and put younger kids on horse. Horse bucks, and child falls off. Child is now terrified of riding. Hmmm...

Ah ok - yeah people getting green larger ponies for their 4 year old drives me nuts too! there was one of them at Pony Club and it's painful watching this little kid hold on for dear life as the parent leads this shying, flighty young thing around the arena

In saying that, there was a nice 4-yr-old pony at PC who was putting the older ponies to shame!! Such a gentleman! (He was a little looky at some things, but very steady)
    - There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away -

Yep annoys me too.

Ive come to the conclusion that it's the non horsey parents devised plan of making the kid want to give it all up!!

We have new neighbors that are in the process of buying their daughter her first pony. They are non horsey but not totally clueless and are doing all the right things and are listening to my bits of advice. Makes a nice change!

BNW.