Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default injury from all nylon fencing wire

I was woken at 4am yesterday (thank goodness his neighbour ran around until I came out!) to find my 4yo warmblood gelding laid out with his back leg up in the air with the top strand of our nylon fence wrapped around his leg. I have never run barefoot (in my nighty!) down the gravel driveway so fast.

I dont know how long he had been caught but he had a number of bands and they were purple with white in between. The photo above was taken about 5 mins after I cut him free. I immediately feared loss of blood flow so we got him walking then washed the leg with warm water and massaged it for about 20 mins. After this it was starting to look nice and pink. I gave him some bute and put him back in the paddock so he would keep ambling. This is his leg after we massaged it.

Today the leg is very swollen but there is plenty of warmth in the foot. Of course we wont know how much damage there is for a week or so. Fingers crossed we got him out before major damage was done.

My point in sharing this is so that people realise these fences are not failsafe. We have had a number of incidents were our horses have not had a mark on them but if we'd had wire fences they would have been shredded. Only the day before I rescued the neighbouring horse with his leg over the top strand of the fence from them rearing up at each other. We then put up a double fence with a 3m alley between, it was this brand new fence that he got wrapped around his leg - so it was freshly tensioned, not sloppy.

I have no idea how the managed to actually wrap this around his leg. You would think it was a freak accident but it is the SECOND time it has happened to us. The last time the horse was stuck longer before found, the cuts were deeper and the piece of flesh between died. This horse luckily was saved but had major scarring.

Telling our farm supplies about what happened they tell me they have heard of a foal doing the same thing but its foot fell off and it had to be PTS. They dont know how long it had been caught up though.

If I could afford it I would have all my fences built with horserail.

Oh Sangria You poor thing!! His leg looks ok, I hope it continues to do so. I think that if a horse is going to injure himself on a fence, it doesn't matter WHAT the fence is made of!.
    Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.

Luckily for you you had that sort of fencing, and also managed to act reasonably quickly. If it was barb or even plain wire, I reckon it would have been de-gloved for sure, and very nasty.
    good luck, I think you'll find he'll recover quite quickly from his misadventure.
    Do you have electric?

I have everything crossed for you.

We had a foal at work do similar with bayco, wrapped around but she also cut the front thru the tendons and was found in the paddock running around on her fetlock joint due to the cut tendons. She had obvious marks around the whole leg from the bayco. She was treated and bandaged by the vet who were very concerned about the leg having been wrapped and blood flow cut off/restricted. Unfortunately by day 4-5 when vets came to change her bandage and check her leg, her leg/flesh had all started to die and the decision was made to put her down.
    One of those things you think is safe and still causes major injuries. This was not the first one that had wrapped its leg in bayco but the first one was ended up ok as they were watching the horse when it did it.

Sangria, I do hope your horse is ok but don't 'wait for a week or so' to find out how much damage is done. If there is heat in the foot that's an indication of possible infection. I would have the horse on anti-biotics and bute personally but best check with your vet. It only takes a very small cut and the right bacteria and you have a cellulitis infection which is a right bugger to clear up.

Have to agree with above postee. I'd be getting vet out. To 1 give more bute & 2 some antibiotics just in case. No point waiting weeks to end up in a worser predicument.
    Not a good idea

Fingers crossed for your horse. I also recommend giving Vit C injections immediately incase there is any dead tissue that will become necrotic.

Worst injuries in these cases is often as a result of the horse rolling into the fence. I've seen them wrap stretch nylon fence around themselves very quickly in that scenario.
    Brokeford Holsteiners - video and pictures - www.brokeford.com.au

Ringbarks are serious.
    Warmth and no odd coloured fluids is a great sign
    Thinking of you guys and a rapid recovery for your boy.

Over the hill Mid North Coast, NSW, Australia

Know of a yearling that was sadly strangled the same way.

What exactly do you mean by nylon fencing wire & is the fence electrified?