Default Using external Hard Drives for BS Database

Hi everyone,

I read a post by Michal written on 4th Jan 2017 regarding external hard drives to speed up processing times.

My question, to Michal if you still look in on the Forum from time to time, or to any other computer savvy person out there, is this....

If I move Price to the external HD, and leave the BS program on my Laptop Drive, how do I get the downloads to go automatically to the external HD, and how do I get the BS program to access the External HD when its doing its thing.? I cannot see anywhere in the BS program where I can change these paths.

If it helps, I'm running Windows 8.1

(My thoughts to all the families who may have loved ones in Manchester. My daughter is safe, and I sincerely hope and pray that your loved ones are as well.)

Kindest regards to all

Bazza

BS lives all in one folder so you would have to move the lot.

I would not recommend it though. Either you misread what I wrote or I had a brain freeze if I recommended external HD.

1 To get the best of out of Betselector you need to run it on SSD. That SSD needs to be internal. It can be a second internal drive.
    2 To back up you can use an external drive

The issue with external drives is that they are limited by the USB interface which will make them not as efficient.

You could use a smaller SSD and a larger external back up if your laptop cant have 2 drives.
    Form Elements Utilities - add on tool for Bet Selector
    www.ratings2win.com.au - Axis racing software and Database.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post
    BS lives all in one folder so you would have to move the lot.

I would not recommend it though. Either you misread what I wrote or I had a brain freeze if I recommended external HD.

1 To get the best of out of Betselector you need to run it on SSD. That SSD needs to be internal. It can be a second internal drive.
    2 To back up you can use an external drive

The issue with external drives is that they are limited by the USB interface which will make them not as efficient.

You could use a smaller SSD and a larger external back up if your laptop cant have 2 drives.
    Thank you so much Michal for expanding on the issue that I've raised, and I'm also so sorry for not replying earlier.
    It looks like an upgraded laptop for me, rather than a cheap alternative.
    Thanks again Michal for taking the time to address my issue.
    Cheers
    Barry

Upgrading a laptop with an SSD (by replacing the HDD already there) is the single most effective way to extend a live of a laptop. It will add at least 2-3 years to the usable life span.

I have done several of these for my family. The great thing is, that you can simply clone the existing drive, so all the programs and data on it will just work and realistically its fairly simple to do.

You could even buy a simple USB cady for the HDD that you are replacing and use that for your external disk, they are on ebay and only cost a few dollars.

The above beats a new laptop and all the installing of existing software that it entails, providing your current laptop is not too old there are no issues with drivers or compatibility.

Good luck.
    Form Elements Utilities - add on tool for Bet Selector
    www.ratings2win.com.au - Axis racing software and Database.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post
    Upgrading a laptop with an SSD (by replacing the HDD already there) is the single most effective way to extend a live of a laptop. It will add at least 2-3 years to the usable life span.

I have done several of these for my family. The great thing is, that you can simply clone the existing drive, so all the programs and data on it will just work and realistically its fairly simple to do.

You could even buy a simple USB cady for the HDD that you are replacing and use that for your external disk, they are on ebay and only cost a few dollars.

The above beats a new laptop and all the installing of existing software that it entails, providing your current laptop is not too old there are no issues with drivers or compatibility.

Good luck.
    What a brilliant suggestion !!
    You've saved me a small fortune, (being a pensioner), thanks again Michal.
    Cheers
    Barry