Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

All a bit of a giggle… the op has evaporated.. don't think our advice is particularly welcome…:-)

Folks do tend to be encouraged to buy stereotypical grand prix winners (sic) that may be quite unsuitable as a horse to enjoy.

Anyway.. all good fun and a bit of traffic for the cbh corpse….

Yes bats.. I am in the states.. back in the big apple tomorrow and home mid week after 6 weeks on the road and water…. :-)
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Quote Originally Posted by gasbuster View Post
    So I thought I had it sussed, but not to be...
    So here is my list, and who knows where it will lead me
    1. Not stupid...I can do young horses but I prefer to keep their legs on the ground and going at my desired pace, I can do a little bit hot, and a little bit spooky...
    2. Sound
    3. Structurally capable of piaffe, passage, pirouettes without risking a suspensory.
    4. 5-6 years of age ( cause that all the training I can afford to buy)
    5. Fully grown between 16 and 16.1
    6. WB
    7. Broken in, no buck no rear, no shitty attitude

Stuff all budget...I have proven i can make my own horses, and each one gets a little better.

I know some of you breed, and others train...maybe one of you have a spare unicorn I can buy
    testing (showing my husband somnething)

ETA: Sorry gasbuster, I haven't read your post yet. Please ignore me for the present.
    Last edited by ... Taff; 14-10-17 at 09:55 AM. Reason: to apologise to gasbuster

I don't believe that Gasbuster actually needs our advice. She knows what she wants, she's not a beginner and there's no need to insinuate that she is. I mean - how insulting.

Good luck finding your special horse Gasbuster. From your posts I think that you and I like the same kind of horse - in my search I looked hard at a Lipizzaner but did finish up with a warmblood with good performance breeding on both sides.

Hope you find one soon. Happy to look at a horse for you here in Vic (west of Melbourne) if you see one. Meet up with Learns4Life - an army of lookers!

Why do people assume that a horse that is capable of doing well at high level dressage isn't going to be fun to own and ride?

Agree Mindari the Arabs and QHs used to be great all purpose horses, the old style are few and far between these days. Same with TBs my old eventer is 25 now and still sound as a bell, would be hard pressed to find one with legs like his nowadays.

Also agree with Midnightly, I am sure GB will find the perfect partner in crime before too long

OP hasn’t evaporated, just been doing the stuff that pays the bills....and dreaming on the side.

I work with two lovely coaches, one of whom tripped over something interesting today. I’m going to take it for a spin next weekend at a clinic she is running...I’ve seen it with her riding, next I will see it with it’s current rider on board...

She has warned me it’s movement is much bigger than I’m used to, and after seeing the video, I thin’ it will take my riding to a whole new level if I am brave enough to take on the challenge. Very young, very green, VERY CUTE...

And now, going through a few of the other posts....

Iíve seen a really nice Anglo...v cute, moves nicely, about the right height...but Iíve got to be realistic in that Iím a tad on the tubby side...and this I believe may habpve been a contributor to the princessí demise...and the Anglo just looks a little fine..I think I need a little chunkier horse.

As for horses that are too smart...the princess is the smartest horse I have ever ridden, and also the most agile...a tricky combination when she gets her nickers twisted. I also know that there are certain bloodlines known for throwing the odd unreasonably spooky horse...which Iíd like to avoid...I can ride most things other than a buck, but choose not to go there...I donít need to be a hero.

My choice to go WB is solely based on likelihood of success...weíve had a pony to adv level, a stock horse to Med, almost adv, and the princess to FEI...15.1 hh and so not built for it...Iím a believer that any breed can do it, Iíd just like to do it a little easier by not having to work harder, and make the horse work harder to get around their physical limitations.

And yes, said pony will chase cows, do the odd ODE and be an all round pet.

Sounds exciting GB! Let us know how you go with the big mover

Yes I agree with you gasbuster, get what you like the rest is just discussing stuff not advice as tow what to get.

best of luck hope its exactly what your looking for

Hey tuggers.

the new must have show arabian. next doco to come "pedigree horses exposed" eh?

Horses bred to look like cartoons are part of a worrying trend

A colt with googly eyes and a very "dished" head is the latest example of a trend for animals with "cute" looks that raise health risks, says Danny Chambers
    Orrion Farms

Since humans first domesticated animals, they have been selectively breeding for desirable characteristics. To start with, the aims were increased productivity in livestock, size or speed in horses, and better herding or hunting abilities in dogs.
    In more recent times, this has expanded to include animals with certain aesthetic qualities, resulting in very deformed examples being lauded as having an “ideal” look, despite suffering from serious health and welfare problems. Now it seems horses are joining the list.

The most obvious examples of this problem are dogs with flat faces – such as pugs and French bulldogs. These brachysephalic dogs have soared in popularity in recent years, but are at high risk of breathing problems, often requiring surgery to improve airflow to the lungs, sometimes an emergency tracheotomy due to acute respiratory distress.
    As Pete Weddburn, veterinary columnist for The Telegraph, has pointed out, it would be illegal to smother a dog so it could barely breathe, but it is perfectly legal to breed a dog that collapses, unable to get sufficient oxygen due to narrowed and compressed airways.
    Snuffling is not cute

These pets cannot exercise as normal, they struggle to thermoregulate so are predisposed to overheating in warm weather, have eye problems, skin fold diseases, a screw-shaped tail linked to painful spinal abnormalities, neurological problems and cannot give birth without caesarean section.
    What is most concerning is that many owners think that the snoring and snuffling noises indicating respiratory difficulties are “endearing” or “cute”. If a child were making similar noises they would quite rightly be rushed to hospital.
    And now the trend for exaggerated facial traits appears to be taking hold in horses as well.

One breed – Arab horses – are characterised by having a slightly “dished” face. In the US in particular, exaggerated examples of this feature are in demand. This week pictures and a video have gone viral of a 9-month-old Arab colt with what looks like a deformed upper frontal bone in its skull giving it an extremely concave head shape. While the Veterinary Record journal reported that one vet had confirmed it had no health problems, it also quoted a few of the many with concerns.
    They are worried about this trend because horses are what are known as obligate nasal breathers – that means they cannot breathe through their mouths. In a horse with an extremely dished face, the nasal passages are likely to be significantly narrowed, restricting airflow and therefore capability for exercise. This horse is being hailed as “close to perfection” and due to its breeding potential is already rumoured to be worth millions of pounds.
    When vets and animal welfare campaigners raise their concerns, they are often aggressively accused by breeders and owners of having no understanding. Owners are incensed when it is pointed out that their animals may be suffering, because this state of affairs has been so normalised by society.
    So what can be done?

The key is to educate owners, the public and particularly trend-setting celebrity pet owners. It must be understood that breeding for physical characteristics which require medical intervention for the animal to live a normal life is not acceptable.
    If a wolf gave birth to an extremely brachycephalic cub, it would rightly be regarded as a mutant and probably euthanised to prevent ongoing suffering, but because these traits have been selected over many generations in pets, the oddness of them is not as apparent.
    The British Veterinary Association is doing its part by providing guidelines for the appropriate use of any animal species by advertisers, to discourage unhealthy breeds being used to promote or sell products and events.
    These trends raise many questions without good answers.

Show rings for all breeds of animals have created lots of awful and sad health compromises....it's ok to say, and we all know that education is needed, but no licence is required for breeding any animal so it isn't going to change anytime soon.
    Without a horse you're half complete.