Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What's her breeding that people think the temperament might be causing her to be hot rather than the training?

Can she do a loose rein leg yield?

If she can't she needs to be doing them in-hand (is your foot healed enough for that?) Cavesson or rein through the bit and over the top of the head not under the chin, very loose side reins so she doesn't bend her neck too far to the inside (you don't want her to be "on the bit"). Leg yield on the circle (almost a side pass) with her nose to you until she stops thinking about the difficulty and then forward around the circle. First in walk, then in trot. I teach the leg yield as a voice command as well "over, over, over" and then softly forward. This makes the back rotate through the transversal point.
    Last edited by Bats_79; 13-02-18 at 08:52 AM.
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

Antoine De Pluvinel

Quote Originally Posted by Bats_79 View Post
    What's her breeding that people think the temperament might be causing her to be hot rather than the training?

Can she do a loose rein leg yield.
    Out of a jive magic mare.

I’m only going on what I’ve heard about them being a bit hot/tricky/funny and my own girl who is out of a jam mare, and also knowing the owner of the dam of mine pretty well.

I can tell you of 10 horses that behave exactly the same way all with different breeding. It's tightness through the back due to being ridden into the hand rather than breeding. Some horses can handle being jammed up better than others. Very quiet horses when they get tight in the back really suffer because they can't express their anxiety as clearly.

Not saying GB has jammed her up but the little bit of video I have seen shows a very tight back. If the back can't be loosened then the next step is launching against the hand to escape the "push" from behind because the back is too tight.
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

Antoine De Pluvinel

Oh somehow - for some reason - I thought she was by Jazz. Out of a Jive Magic mare puts Jazz a fair way back.

Where are these videos?

The only vid I saw was one of the first rides... search way back in gasbusters threads, good luck and stay safe. The ground is too hard to use it as trampoline

I have to own this, and I have to think my way through it.

Too much hand, tight through the back....yep. Bats you’ve absolutely nailed where I’m thinking. We had a little bit going well a week ago and I started asking more...

And the tension starts when I take her away from the princess...not always, but sometimes, and she feels pretty good, and I rely too highly on the reins in self preservation mode.

Sire is Rascalino, dam has wolkenstein and jive. I reckon jive is too far back to have much impact...it’s more a training and environment issue.
    Last edited by gasbuster; 13-02-18 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks Cyrus. Found it. And gb I can only re-iterate what I said in that thread. Yes she is tight in the back - she's tight all over.

From what I’ve heard JM throws a similar temperament to his sire. Either way I wouldn’t say it’s the biggest issue with this mare, just might explain her being more sensitive than a horse with different breeding, certainly I’ve found there is a noticeable difference with mine to the other three that have the same sire and are out of a variety of dams.

GB do you have an equissage? I found putting it on before a ride helped my boy who gets tight along his belly muscles.

No advice, just wishing you good luck! Hang in there, things will improve given patience perseverance and time!