Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    South East Victoria
    Posts
    10,156

    Default

    I do apologise if you find my use of the word "square gaiters" (meaning pacers as opposed to trotters who use the diagonal gait) to be so offending. It's just what I grew up with.

    Otherwise I can't see that there is anything confusing about my post. Imho the success of the progeny of two mares (in Australia) doesn't mean that the cross will always be successful. And if Gerhard Quast hasn't shared the records of his breeding (only his statement that they have trotter blood) then how can anyone comment on the success or failure of the cross.

    If you have what you think of as nice French trotters that you want to cross with jumping line warmbloods then go ahead and do it. I'm sure that, if handled and trained correctly, the progeny will be good riding horses even if not world class showjumpers and isn't that what everyone wants anyway. A good horse if not a superstar?
    Last edited by Bats_79; 11-07-18 at 08:11 PM.
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

    Antoine De Pluvinel

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    South East Victoria
    Posts
    10,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgh05 View Post
    It was bitted ( as are most arg horses) and boy did it need it
    "arg" as in Argentinian?

    I did a clinic with an Argentinian a few months back. It was super.
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

    Antoine De Pluvinel

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    5,427

    Default

    I am not a fan.. of their nags, their saddles, or their horsemanship.. they are really really nice folks tho….
    The much louded Gaucho tradition makes the average Aussie stock horse look like Valegro.
    Their Criollo's have hard minds and backs like barn doors.
    Their saddles place the rider four floors above the horse and you need extra extra extra long spurs to even touch the scar tissue that once was skin…..
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bats_79 View Post
    I do apologise if you find my use of the word "square gaiters" (meaning pacers as opposed to trotters who use the diagonal gait) to be so offending. It's just what I grew up with.

    Otherwise I can't see that there is anything confusing about my post. Imho the success of the progeny of two mares (in Australia) doesn't mean that the cross will always be successful. And if Gerhard Quast hasn't shared the records of his breeding (only his statement that they have trotter blood) then how can anyone comment on the success or failure of the cross.

    If you have what you think of as nice French trotters that you want to cross with jumping line warmbloods then go ahead and do it. I'm sure that, if handled and trained correctly, the progeny will be good riding horses even if not world class showjumpers and isn't that what everyone wants anyway. A good horse if not a superstar?
    I don't find it offensive just incorrect A square gaiter is a trotter not a pacer and yes midnightly hella was a mare

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgh05 View Post
    I am not a fan.. of their nags, their saddles, or their horsemanship.. they are really really nice folks tho….
    The much louded Gaucho tradition makes the average Aussie stock horse look like Valegro.
    Their Criollo's have hard minds and backs like barn doors.
    Their saddles place the rider four floors above the horse and you need extra extra extra long spurs to even touch the scar tissue that once was skin…..
    Just returned from reining in Chile.. the chilean horse was just superb.. so trainable and adaptable.. Cant speak highly enough of them!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    South East Victoria
    Posts
    10,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgh05 View Post
    I am not a fan.. of their nags, their saddles, or their horsemanship.. they are really really nice folks tho….
    The much louded Gaucho tradition makes the average Aussie stock horse look like Valegro.
    Their Criollo's have hard minds and backs like barn doors.
    Their saddles place the rider four floors above the horse and you need extra extra extra long spurs to even touch the scar tissue that once was skin…..
    What a shame. Ours was all about keeping a light rein, not abusing the leg, undoing the noseband and carrying the hand well. But he is far from a "gaucho".
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

    Antoine De Pluvinel

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    South East Victoria
    Posts
    10,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QUARTERMILER View Post
    I don't find it offensive just incorrect A square gaiter is a trotter not a pacer and yes midnightly hella was a mare
    I must remember to go around my old home region and tell them how wrong they all were. Trotters don't do diagonals and pacers mustn't do the outside legs making a square. How stupid they were. I find you rude. Don't think I will bother replying again.
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

    Antoine De Pluvinel

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bats_79 View Post
    I must remember to go around my old home region and tell them how wrong they all were. Trotters don't do diagonals and pacers mustn't do the outside legs making a square. How stupid they were. I find you rude. Don't think I will bother replying again.
    Trotters don't do diagonals??? Last time I checked they did !! Pacers musn't do the outside leg??????
    Bats I have been involved in harness racing for many years and in Australia NZ and North America trotters are known as Square Gaiters Pacers are known as pacers

    "Champion Victorian trotter Maori's Idol holds the record for trotters or square gaiters "

    "The Group 2 Queensland Trotters Cup has attracted a number of trotters including one of the best square gaiters in the country"

    "Among these are the mare Any Left and the ex-Sydney trotter Cyclone Jake, a gelding which will make its presence felt in the square-gaiters events."

    "The winner of the 2YO and 3YO Trotter of the Year titles, Danny Bouchea belongs to the most successful family of square-gaiters in the Commonwealth"

    I dont know what location your old home town was at however either they or you got it wrong !!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •