Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh, there wasn't much to that youtube. At first I thought the horse was stuffed but no, it was a real, live horse.

Just kidding. I'm not sure why the fellow thought we might not get what he meant. Thought his example using temperature was a clever one.

Quote Originally Posted by ... Taff View Post
    Oh, there wasn't much to that youtube. At first I thought the horse was stuffed but no, it was a real, live horse.

Just kidding. I'm not sure why the fellow thought we might not get what he meant. Thought his example using temperature was a clever one.
    There usually is not much to the more subtle ones Videos where they have horses running around are usually the worst examples. I think the message in that video that we have to let the horse make their own decisions, but we set it up so it is what we are asking for, is a very big thing. So many people try to force the horse into whatever they want from them. Horsemanship has a lot to do with our mindset!

Neil Davies of fear free horse training is brilliant - www.fearfreehorsetraining.com He makes sense and doesn't force the horses. He has a great book out as well It is well worth a look. I only wish i had heard of him when I had one of my young horses backed.

For me I liked her message about not fighting with your horse all the time. It's much nicer for everyone, horse and rider, if the horse is a willing participant. I haven't been able to ride this weekend, but my horse has clearly indicated he wants to go out and do something. He's leaving his feed and going to the gate to come out and work. Which is lovely.

I was recently looking after a friends horses for four weeks. One a very good girl and the other was a right madam. First week running to the back of the paddock etc. By the third week she was walking up and thinking about being caught - I'd just stand and wait for her to decide what she was going to do - and fourth week she would see me and come running up. When she was running away I didn't hurry after her, didn't make a fuss when I caught her. Just quiet, did what I needed to do and went away.