Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Leah R (Guest) Guest

    Default WORMING OVERDOSE?

    Hi there, We wormed our pony 13.2 today with Equimec and the tube flipped back and she ended up with a full dose for a 600KG horse. Is this likely to do any harm does anyone know. She would be about 350KG. Can anyone let us know what to look for ie danger signs if she has had too much? Thanks in anticipation

  2. #2
    Terri (Guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    Hi Leah R,

    I don't know the figures for Equimec but other wormers like Panacur have a 50 time overdose rate. Watch our for symptoms out of the ordinary and call your vet if you have any concerns.

  3. #3
    Leah R (Guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    Thanks for that, much appreciated.

  4. #4
    EPL(guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    Equimec also has this strange/crazy "over-dosage" test on the product. It has been tested that many times and is the reason that we dose all our pregnant mares/weanlings/yearlings and stallion etc with it! Don't worry!!! Cat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    .
    Posts
    558

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    All you've probably done is waste half a tube of wormer.

    You can do more damage giving a normal dose to a horse which hasn't been wormed before. All the worms die at once and cause big problems as they "let go". It usually wouldn't kill a horse but it can make them very sick.

  6. #6
    danni (Guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    Our mare is 15hh and roughly about the same weight as your horse (according to the vet)and some weeks ago the vet came to look at her for something else and wormed her at the same time. He said that giving the whole tube doesn't hurt them at all. It never caused her any problems, but do ring your vet if you are concerned about your horse.

  7. #7
    Debbie (Guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    A friend kept her horse in with a donkey & it developed a cough suspected to be lung worm I think (donkeys apparently carry it) and her vet told her to dose the horse 14.2hh with something like 2 tubes at a time a week apart or something similar - a lot of paste anyway!

    Also we bought a horse that (drenched properly by owner previous to us) had come via the markets. He developed spasmodic colic due to red worm infestation (they can sit dormant for years in the gut) he was given about 6 doses of various wormers over a period of a week or so by the vet before he was well again.

    They have a very high safety margin on worming products.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Debbie (Guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    Sorry, me again. I saw an interesting thing on TV the other day. There is an Australian eye specialist working in a very poor country (can't remember which one) doing work like the late Fred Hollows.

    In this country there is an extremely high percentage of people, young & old, going blind due to a parasite. His simple cure - IVERMECTIN the active ingredient in most horse & dog heart wormers.

    Also the other really nice thing, the drug company is providing literally millions of doses to them FREE OF CHARGE. :D

    Cheers



  9. #9
    ness (Guest) Guest

    Default RE: WORMING OVERDOSE?

    I was always told to give the horse the whole dose no matter the size, never had any probs and i know 50 or so horses that this is done with, half the time you lose a quarter of the paste on the way in or a bit doesnt go down far enough and they spit it out anyway.. i wouldnt worry unless you see something out of the ordinary in the horses behaviour/general well being..

  10. #10
    Kylie27 (Guest) Guest

    Default WORMING PROB TOO!

    I have another very quick query regarding worming. I have a very big, very solid mare that is a b*gger to worm. Being very small myself, I have a hell of a lot of trouble worming her. Twitching etc just does not work and I end up getting bruised and battered. I do win in the end, but I was wondering if it was ok to put the wormer into a bucket of molasses (she drinks molasses out of her feed bucket for a treat). I have tried it before and she gulped it down, not even tasting the wormer. Will this make it less effective at all? Molasses is a natural substance so I figure it won't have much effect on the wormer. Anyone have any suggestions at all for me???

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •