Default Article of intrest re cruelty

I thought that I would post this information as the more people who know about agistment properties such as the one talked about in this article the better !!!

The article by Sean Cunningham appeared in Wednesday Nov 10 issue of the Macarthur Advertiser (page 5).

RACE STEWARDS BAN HORSE CARER

Racing NSW has disqualified a Cawdor farm operator from having any association with the preperation of thoroughbred horses until October 2005.
    The ban follows an investigation into the death of a horse in his care.
    Stewards charged Sam Nicoletti of the Rayleigh Park horse property with having failed to exercise reasonable care to prevent an act of cruelty on racehorse Assimilate, a five year old gelding, owing to the thoroughbreds deteriorating physical condition, and failing to provide propper and sufficient nutrition, which contributed to its death.
    Mr Nicoletti pleaded guilty to failing to provide veterninary treatment for the horse.
    Not to be mistaken with similar sounding Raylee Park Stud at Cobbity, which has no association with Rayleigh Park, the 120 acre Cawdor property contains about 24 horse boxes.
    Former Rayleigh Park worker Kim Hollingsworth, who gave evidence at the inquiry said she noticed Assimilates poor condition.
    "I have been involved with the care and feeding of horses for the past 10 years and durring that time I have never seen a horse in such poor condition" she said.
    "I believe that responsiability for the death of the horse rests solely with Sam Nicoletti and I further believe that he lied to me when he told me that he would be feeding and caring for this horse".
    "I stopped feeding the horse believing that Sam was doing it"
    Ms Hollingsworth said she was angry with Mr Nicoletti when she saw the state of the horse and described Assimilate as a walking skeleton.
    She offered to take the horse into her care but Mr Nicoletti said she would have to speak to John Carroll, who had placed the horse on agistment.
    Ms Hollingsworth said Mr Nicolletti told her that he would feed the horse and that she would have to speak to Mr Carroll before she took the horse.
    "I spoke to Sam on a number of occassions about me looking after Assimilate but he told me that John Carroll had not returned any of his calls" she said.
    About a month after Ms Hollingsworth had asked Mr Nicolletti if she could take the horse into her care, she visited Rayleigh Park and found Assimilate dead in a paddock.
    "I confirmed the identity of the horse by checking its brands and markings" Ms Hollingsworth said.
    She urged horse owners thinking of placing horses on agistment to "be vigilant and thoughly research the propertys owners credentials".

There is a photo of the horse-emaciated, dead in the paddock-just skeletal (very horrific stuff).

I think it should have been a life ban not a megar year ban!

Default RE: Article of intrest re cruelty

I agree, life ban and never to own or have care of ANY animal again.

At least it was made public, it will scarr his enterprise forever. The more horsey people know about it the better!

I am sure there are plenty more cases like this, but are never exposed.

the scary thing is that he isn't the only one doing this. At my old agistment a tb came in that was skin and bone, his owners had sent him out for agistment/spelling, and were paying $150 per week for the privilege - when checks were finally made on the horse, he was in a yard and could barely walk, subsequent enquiries turned out that the agistment 'manager' was taking everyone's money and p*ssing it down at the pub.

The heartbreaking thing is that to get the horses into this state they are literally starving them. This particular tb was just on a couple of biscuits of hay a day for the first couple of weeks and in a yard with water, the weight gain on so little food was just miraculous, makes you wonder if the horse's even see an empty chaff bag.

But without registration of all pets, how do we enforce non ownership of animals in this country? Say I was ms cruelty incarnate - my horses were bashed, starved and in general left to die, I get charged, I get fined....frankly there is nothing to stop me picking up the paper and buying something else. This week there's a colt for $150 in the local paper, if I had a lifetime ban against me, I can turn up with the cash, an unregistered vehicle and if I could catch the colt, i'm sure the owners wouldn't know that I'm only taking it to mistreat it again.

Very good idea where are all our internet wizards and make up a site where horses can be registered unoffically of course but where horse owners could also be registered and if I was buying a horse I would say im registered with BLA BLA and they could check up on me and what people have said about me it is worth brain storming about.

I don't know Lisa. A warmblood stud in Vic some 15 years ago was charged by the RSPCA, convicted, and fined several thousands of dollars and the son and daughter (both adult) part of the family were banned from owning horses for 10 years. They had dead and dying horses in their paddocks. I don't know what happened to most of the surviving horses, but their major sire, an imported Holsteiner stallion of excellent breeding, went to New Zealand.

Sadly, the daughter is breeding warmblood horses again.

It is hard to fathom what goes on in theminds of people like that? I cannot even begin to comprehend their reasoning, motives or whatever.

There is a property down the road from me which has a lot of ponies. The ponies are very thin and have about 4 to a yard. We've reported them to the RSPCA, but the RSPCA have said that they are in ok conditions and they can't do anything unless it gets worse. It's only a matter of time in my opinion til it gets worse.

i would say how shocked i am, but im not.

ive experienced it myself, i was paying someone to feed my mare and foal, instead she was stealing my food and starving them both...aswell as not getting water.

what gets to me is it still goes on, the RSPCA have been called and called, and horses keep dieing, the RSPCA knows it, and have had to take a very young horse and put it down because of its condition, but they wernt charged with anything....suffice to say i now have no respect for the RSPCA, there are horses dieing all the time, horses being starved and no water, and never any treatment sought for injured animals....but they still do nothing.....

Strangely enough, I was recently helping a friend pack when she was moving house and she had magazines from the last 20 years which provided some interesting reading. In one of the old Horse Magazines, there was an article on the cruelty case Ernie speaks of, or maybe there are many cruel stories relating to breeding. But if it's the same person, my friend also remembered the family and she said the daughter's new stud is in a new area, but still in Victoria?