Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default RE: Disadvantages of Barefoot

Have a look at David Farmilo's website :) He's selling a hoof balancing ruler that can be used to set the trim of the hoof. It's a great piece of equipment, and can be used by the lay - person to balance the foot.

IMHO a lot of barefoot trimmers are as good as used car salesman - everyone else except THEM is a shyster or worse. David is one of those people who doesn't need to bag out the opposition - his acheivements speak for themselves. Have a read, and see what you think anyway... could be the way to go :)

"I wouldn't be a member of any club that would have me!"
    Groucho Marks

Be yourself: everyone else is taken.....

Thanks Cate, actually ordered the hoofline, great tool. You would not believe it, I spoke to David today about my horse's hooves and he gave some great advice. Hopefully he will come to Victoria soon :-)

Hi, it is always great to hear what others have to say, and I agree with everyone. It is what is best for each horse that is the "correct" way to do feet. I have a lovely 5 year old OOT T/b. Delighful, big moving, graceful fellow - while he has shoes ON. I had alot of trouble with him when I first got him ( took his shoes off when I did ). He had constant sore backs and shoulder problems, His saddle was fitted correctly from start, and I only took him slowly - but to no avail. His back started to spasm, and with one vet saying turn him out for 6 months I thought, oh great. But then realised, all these problems where when I rode him out ( and I am a careful rider, and never go hard on gravel anyhow ! ). So put shoes on him. Well, what a transformation! He floats now, and have had no probs with him, until he pulled a shoe off, and we trimmed him up too tight ( well, we wont do that again ). So okay, he wont have the most "correct" shaped feet, but atleast he is sound !
    ( heres hoping anyhow ! I have put alot of faith into him, purely through sheer love, with many saying give up on him. I hope I get the last laugh ! )
    good luck !

As far as I can see that are no major differences between barefoot trimmers. If you stick to good basics you cant go wrong. Most of them are saying the same thing - they just say it a bit differently.

I feel sorry for people who have tried barefoot and found they couldnt cope with their horses problems (or how to deal with them) - just goes to show what problems they have and how shoeing masks it!! Yep its something very serious to think about.

Horse do have much more grip, traction, feeling and much less shock going up the legs without shoes - in the long run their bodies will last longer.
    East Gippsland Hoof Care A.C.E.H.P. - for balance, form & function
    www.wix.com/yunarickard/eghc
    "There is none so foolish as he who thinks he can outwit nature"

www.madeit.com.au/YRDesigns - beaded jewellery, handspun woollies, beanies, scarves, cards

>
    >Horse do have much more grip, traction, feeling and much
    >less shock going up the legs without shoes - in the long run
    >their bodies will last longer.

Autumn, I do have to take this comment and reply to it ;-)

At a recent three day event, there was a rider who is a VERY staunch supporter of barefoot and has been forever. All of her horses slipped DREADFULLY in the dressage ring, let alone the jumping. Out on XC it was terrible to watch as the ground was slick after some rain, and her horses were definitely NOT coping with even slight turns on the course. Their gallop was stilted and struggling.

She was the only rider stopped on course and sent home under orders from the Ground Jury. Why? Because her horse was clearly unable to cope with the conditions and spectators were asking what the heck was going on. I myself was one of those spectators, and it was only later that I found out the reasons why her horses were not coping.

This rider is an absolutely 100% confirmed barefoot supporter, and has been for absolute years apparantly. I agree, at the lower levels, but NOT at the upper levels of eventing. Im sorry, but I saw it for myself on the big TV screen..as did every other spectator. Even other big time BF supporters that I know who saw it, were admitting that it wasn't pretty and that the horse didn't cope even half as well as the shod horses.

This rider's argument is that in the wild they are barefoot..true..but they also don't have people riding them and making them jump massive fences.

Just my two cents to the argument. And I am not bagging the barefoot people, I do believe it has its place with horses (one of mine is barfoot) but not every horse, and certainly not upper level competition horses. The fact of the matter is that they just can't grip as well as horses with shoes.

Thanks all!

Jellyfish, your comment is an important one! (And I note that there is no hostility in your argument, that's why I decided to reply)
    High competition levels (especially when negotiating difficult ground) mean that the horses are pushed beyond their biological limitations. This will always be to the detriment of the organism and will show up sooner or later shod or unshod.

It sounds that this particular horse was merely without shoes - a functional barefoot trim, however, would have provided appropriate traction under "normal circumstances. At extreme levels (and for the purpose of pushing horses beyond their natural physiological limitations and being able to compete anyway) an "artificial" adjustment to a barefoot trim can be made. This way of trimming would be a "performance trim".
    Obviously this was not done, hence the problems.
    I am not aware of anyone (except a handful of people here in Oz) who are familiar with this way of trimming.
    It is a shame that the rider didn't recognize her horse's limitations and that her action were not a very thoughtful way of promoting "barefoot".
    There is much to learn. As always - a little knowledge can be dangerous. Good intentions without covering all angles, is too.

Thanks Carola for seeing that I was not trying to be hostile!!!

Can you please elaborate on what an artificial adjustment to a barefoot trim is..because I think this rider did in fact do such a thing before the event???

And for the record, she is not in Australia ;-)

I was quite dismayed to see what I saw, as she is a high profile rider, who has for many many years studied the barefoot trim etc and promoted it. I was not aware of this until recently though.

This rider has had some incredible success's...though on horses who are shod (and not owned by her).

The horses were definitely struggling to cope, and I am very very pleased that the **powers that be** put their foot down in the interests of the horses' wellbeing.

But that aside, my old horse is tough as old boots and will go anywhere without shoes! (he is just shoeless, no special barefoot trim or anything) I wouldn't want to event without them at any great level tho!

Thanks again, I do agree that it is great for some horses, but that you have to work out what suits each particular horse.

Well, thats what I do with my lot anyway :-)

Over and out!

Jelly fish I think I know who your are talking of.
    This person had 2 horses? One in the Three star and one in the One Star??
    Both were retired/withdrawn on the Cross country.

If it is the person I am thinking of you are right she is a staunch barefoot supporter and certainly knows what she is doing with regard to trimming too.

Despite considerable success with horses that she rode for other owners (shod by owners requests) she rides all of her own barefoot.

I wonder if she will be revising her plans. Its a long haul to get 2 horses to a 3 day only to have them both withdrawn on cross country.

No way I would have ridden that course on a barefoot horse or even a unstudded one for that matter. I like my life way too much. :0

Hi Maddle,

I find the boa boots easier to put on then the easy boots, but I have found that I need the gaiters (that you have to buy separately) as they rubbed the pastern and coronet band without them. Also one boot continues to twist if I don't have it tight enough, but this is because my horse has poor conformation in that leg and paddles. I keep losing the caps that go over the dials, a bit of a pain they are only about $3 to replace but are needed to stop the dial being bumped and popping open.

The easy boots don't move at all, I find once I have them properly adjusted they are super, it can be frustrating getting off and retrieving them, but once they are correctly adjusted I haven't lost any and they don't rub or twist like the boa boot. The only thing I don't like are the small holes that the metal prongs on the inside "bite" into the hoof wall, but at least it's not as harsh as a nail that goes right through the wall.

I haven't used the old macs, but my friend has and she has also had problems with them rubbing and needs to put a sock over her horses hoof. I felt the boa boots were more stream line then the old macs and I was concerned about tripping because of their bulk.

hope this helps
    TNT

I tried Easy Boots years ago for when I lost a shoe and I found them awful.Horse kept ripping them off - I couldnt keep them on at all. I assume they have changed the model since then as if they are still the same I would never use them again.

I have Old Macs and find them excellent - not that I use them much now a days. I would like to have a look at the Boa boots as I have heard lots of good reports about them.
    East Gippsland Hoof Care A.C.E.H.P. - for balance, form & function
    www.wix.com/yunarickard/eghc
    "There is none so foolish as he who thinks he can outwit nature"

www.madeit.com.au/YRDesigns - beaded jewellery, handspun woollies, beanies, scarves, cards