Default Help please! dry brittle mane

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions:
    My 3 year old has a dry, brittle mane and Im wanting to know how to fix it - If i keep a neck rug on him (unlined synthetic) its perfectly fine, but it rubs out easily and im at the point where i cant afford to lose any more if i want to show him.
    Therefore Ive been letting him go without a neckrug, and being exposed to the weather seems to really dry his mane out. Hes currently getting a complete hard feed twice a day (inc. copra and sunflower oil) as well as ad lib spring grass and hay.
    Is there an alternative to neck rugging I can try to save his mane? the rest of his body and tail is fine, so i dont think im dealing with a deficiency (please correct me if you think differently)
    Any suggestions appreciated!
    thanks

Default RE: Help please! dry brittle mane

Dirt is the problem when it comes to manes rubbing out. I regularly wash my horses mane (at least once a week) and I also get down on my hands and knees with a sponge and some suds and scrub the neck rug part of my Zilco Combo. Whenever I can I put him into just a canvas rug and his clean summer hood. Polar Fleece neck rugs are good as they can be put in the washing machine. You shouldn't have a problem if you keep your rugs clean and the mane clean. Perhaps you could try some good quality conditioner in it to try to stop the brittleness. I hope this helps.

Hi there

Try conditioning the mane with some henna conditioner, it comes in a big tub for about $2.50 at the cheap shops. It won't colour the hair, and I have found it excellent for tails so I can't see why it won't work on manes.

Your horse probably has a dry scalp, that is why he is rubbing when you put hoods on. Wash his mane in an anti dandruff shampoo, really let it foam up and leave the foam on for at least 5 minutes as it is the foam that will lift any old scalp and dirt from the mane. Then rinse and try the above conditioner.

An excellent product for dryness is Californian Poppy Oil, you can get it at most chemists. Don't use the vaseline version. Use only a little bit, like the size of a 20 cent piece in your palm and rub it through the mane. Only use it on cool days if your horses mane is uncovered, as it might get irritated by the sun - being an oil.

I hope this works,
    bowerbird

Try Aloe Vera & Oatmeal Dog shampoo from the vets. There are a couple of different brands and even a matching conditioner.

I now use this on my own hair after using it once when I ran out of my other shampoo. I don't know how or why, but this stuff is the only shampoo I've found that stops my long, very fine hair being affected by static during this windy time of year. Soft, shiny, no flyaway bits. LOL, works well on the dogs too.

Hey :)

My boy has a very dry and brittle mane and tail and a big 'dandruff' problem. I started off shampooing and conditioning his mane, tail and forelock with pantene a couple of times and also bought an anti dandruff shampoo (which I didn't end up using). I followed the pantene washes with an intensive hair treatment I bought at the supermarket and he instantly seemed to pick up.

Now I regularly put a leave in cream treatment in his hair (I use the VO5 one... I bought it for less than $5 from the chemist) and I'm really starting to notice a difference! I've been doing it for just over a month and a half - I've also noticed that his little dandruff problem is almost gone since I've been doing this!

Cheers
    Yaz

I use eco2000 shampoo and pantene conditioner on my horses and they all have beautiful manes and tails, I only use light cotton hoods and wash their manes and tails weekly and their hoods. I agree with sarah keep mane and hood clean. Shampoo available from saddlery.

Good quality human hair products, like so many have suggested. The mane is similar in some ways to our hair.

Coconut oil makes a good occasional treatment before shampooing if the hair is very dry indeed - it's popular among my Indian and Sri Lankan friends who have gorgeous thick, long hair, they reckon it strengthens the hair and helps grow it long without breaking.

Ziggy,
    It is a common problem when mains fall out because of neck rugs. It isn't dirt but the the pressure of seems and the like. Try all the conditioning treatments mentioned in other posts, they can only help, you can try a main stay, or lycra hood, but these too can cause matting and the like. I try to leave my guys bare on the neck through the day and use a light synthetic neck rug at night. The poar fleece neck rugs are good to because they are light. It is a catch 22 situation I'm afraid.

Wow!
    Thanks for all the replies guys, i really apreciate it! Ill make a concerted effort to keep his mane clean now - I already shampoo & condition his tail so it wont take much to do the mane as well.
    Fingers crossed!
    Ziggy - with having light cotton hoods etc on your horses, do you stable yours or are they paddocked? Id be keen to try this only that my boy is paddocked and were getting heavy spring rains at the moment, how do you get around that?

thanks guys