Default Hints to fix leaking concrete water

I have a concrete water tank that has started to crack and is now leaking more and more water with the tank almost full the pressure of the the water is making the cracks worse on the outside, any suggestions on how to manage the leaks?

Default RE: Hints to fix leaking concrete w

I bought a can of leak sealer.

It wasn't a concrete tank, but I squished up a piece of blu tac and placed that over the hole, as it said that the area had to be dry.

I then sprayed over the blu tak and the hole. I don't think it worked completely the first time and I had to repeat, but it would have been holding for over a year now.

Good luck with yours.

Depends what you use water for.
    If its for stock use you can just throw some concrete poweder in down the wall where the crack is and sometimes it will solve it. Not so good if its drinking water.
    If you have a local tank fixer they may have a big water tanker they can unload into whilst fixing.
    Some people have liners fitted - Bartletts in Ballarat make them. We repaired one with steel straps around tank, and then they filled the cracks - has worked so far - 4 years.
    Good luck
    Chas
    "Your greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall" Confucious

When I lived with tank water we used to use the stuff used for fixing leaking showers (can't remember the name of it). It worked for about a year at a time. We ended up buying a plastic one after a few years!
    Sorry I can't be any more help!

It must be leaking tank time of year, I noticed our 5,000 gallon aluminium tank leaking out of pinholes at the bottom today, and buggar it it's full.
    Any ideas..................?

Sorry I have no ideas about fixing concrete ones either.

No ideas for the concrete tank leaks, but for the metal tanks.... we had the same problem with both our 20,000 gallon house tanks. Leaks through the pinholes only really bad when tanks were full (due to the pressure of the water. )For a short term fix we used an epoxy putty (which is like a plasticine which you can apply when the surface is wet/damp). It was an ongoing exercise for about 6 months with more and more pinholes appearing. It's really only a short term fix - in the end we had to bite the bullet and buy two new tanks! This time with liners - so hopefully we should be ok for many more years to come.

Thanks for that info NPD I will look into getting some as a short time fix.
    I know I will have to get a liner just not now when everyones on holidays.....................sigh

I don't know about tanks for human use, but there was a product for painting the inside of concrete tanks, stock troughs etc. that my dad used to use.
    It's done from the inside and fills the cracks and does not mix with the water. Don't know how you'd go with a full tank tho' - snorkel, anyone? ( :o - blowing bubbles!)

It was available from the ag. shops.

The emergency fix for pin holes in the metal tanks was to use a toothpick, sharpened match or twig and break of the point of wood in the pin hole. The wood swells with the water and blocks it neatly.

I never thought of that Improv. Mine were pinholes in a fibreglass tank. I used the blue tac, just to stop the water enough for me to spray the leak sealer, and for it to dry. As I said it is now over a year later and I haven't had it leak again yet.

I just went and grabbed the can. It cost me $6.95 and this is what it says, "Leak Sealer can be used to repair minor cracks in all types of surfaces, wood, metal and masonry. Seals instantly, won't crack, remains flexible under a wide range of temperatures. Leak Sealer repairs gutters, flashings, walls, doors, drain pipes, truck roofs, cracks in cement walls and floors, in fact Leak Sealer has hundreds of household and recreational uses. Leak Sealer dries in a neutral grey, and may be painted over..

SHAKE WELL! SHAKE WELL!

Shake can vigorously until balls rattle freely. Hold can 30 cm from surface to be repaired. Spray until crack has been covered completely, wait 10 minutes and repeat if necessary.