Default Washing canvas rug?

I have been given a canvas rug with the felt/wooly lining. How do I wash it - in the normal washing machine; or does canvas need another technique? I also want to soak it in a disinfectant as I do not know the horse it was on before - any suggestions which product? Thanks!!!

Default RE: Washing canvas rug?

Normal washing machine is fine - but you need one of those BIIIIG industrial type ones.

If you have laundromats near you, check them out. (Easiest and cheapest!!) Not all laundromats can wash things like animal blankets or horse rugs (silly health regulations), but some have a designated machine. I wash my canvasses at one of my local laundromats that has two designated machines.

Also, in some areas there are business who offer rug washing services (Camden has Clippetty Clop Cleaners for example) but they tend to be a bit expensive.

i hang mine over a sturdy fence or gate and use the spray nozzle on the hose and a good liquid wool wash with a small nail hole in the lid (empty shampoo bottles are also good as they aren't as heavy). do one side at a time. for the woollen side i aim the hose at the top of the rug and give it a good wetting. then i start at the top again and drizzle a small amount of the wool wash into the stream of water and work my way down. don't be too heavy handed with the wool wash or you may have trouble getting it all out. then give the rug a good rinse using the same process. then do the other side and let it dry.

i use the same process for the outside except i don't use the detergent in case it removes the waterproofing in the canvas. give it a good scrub with a stiff brush and then you are ready to give it a waterproofing with you favorite product.

best done on a sunny day to get it nice and dry.

maree
    ballarat

dishwashing liquid, stiff scrubbing broom, hose with spray nozzle and one pair of arms which never tire :) (prefferably you hubby lol)...I used to live in a very...muddy wet yucky area with red clay and it used to take 1 hour to clean one canvas rug properly....so glad I can't rug out here :)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psie/gem01.jpg

Thanks for all your ideas everyone; I'm on the right track now, BUT what about actual disinfection(as opposed to just cleaning); I mean what if the previous horse had some sort of fungus or something. Is there something I may be able to get at the vet, maybe Betadine would be good and then leave rug out in the sun??? Any suggestions?.

undergraduate Guest

Is this rug meant to be a wtareproof one? Cause if it is then detergent and machine washing may wreck the waterproofing. I would check that out first. (I know I wrecked my first ever rug by washing it with a simple hose, washing up detergent and a horse brush). It was only a $100 rug but it absolutely stuffed the waterproofing.

I take mine to Carlovers and hang them up in on the pegs for the car mat's, then use the high pressure hose to wash and rinse them, and the pressure gets the hair out really well!!
    Then they are sopping wet, so best to have a ute to bring them home in, or the float works just as well. Then hang them on a fence to dry.
    Easy as pie!!