Default sand drenching horses

I was wanting to sand drench my horses. I used Physillian (not sure on spelling) Husk and one horse refuses to eat it no matter how I try and disguise it. What products are out there that you can use. I asked local produce and they just gave me a funny look and when I explained that they pick up dirt when eating close to the ground or off the ground and it stays in there stomach he told me that was the most pathetic thing he had ever heard.

Default RE: sand drenching horses

Just a question, is your horse suffering any symptoms? Is there any sand in the poo?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...hoofprints.gif

It sounds like your Produce needs to train their staff a little better!!!!

Yes horses can pick up sand when they are eating.

Don't feed the psyllium husk in with their feed. The psyllium sticks to it's self, so grab a couple of handfuls of bran or similar. While it is dry, mix it thoroughly. Then when you wet it it shouldn't stick together like glue.

Feed this first with maybe a bit of their feed. Once that is eaten they get the rest of their feed.

'It doesn't matter how high you are on the food chain, once you inflict pain you FAIL AS A HORSEMAN.'

'You cannot train a horse with shouts and expect it to obey a whisper'

'Be consistent, be fair, time it right, never be in a hurry, never be emotional, be calm, just be the system.'

Psyllium husk has been proven over several control tests to be less effective the simply feeding large quantities of roughage. Ad lib hay is the best way to contol sand as ALL horses that graze or eat off the ground will pick up some sand. Apart from the fact that it is fairly unpalatable to horses, the amount that you would have to feed per day to be of benifit(kgs is what I'm talking about)would make it too expensive and feeding it wet defeats the purpose of it forming a gel "inside the horses digestive system" as a horse is a slow eater comparitively speaking. A cup a day for a few days is simply not enough, so HAY HAY HAY is the best solution and if your horses are fatties try and source good quality straw.

I was going to say the same thing Duchess. I think you can get pretty good results by giving the horse MAX hay for several days.

This is what we have to do during this drought - with 20+ horses eating off bare ground there is no option of treating with pysllium.
    Brokeford Holsteiners - video and pictures - www.brokeford.com.au

I buy round bails of barley straw and they graze on that during the day. I don't let them eat good hay 24/7 or they would be real fatties. With the barley straw they are getting good roughage during the day and they get their normal morning and nightly feeds of good hay. I think this is the best way to control sand.

Cheers - Carol

Just an update....I have been mixing the p. husks in to their fed just once a week (cup) at most. They don't even notice it, but I can't say I notice any difference in their poo.

All the horses are ingesting a lot of dirt/sand as we have no plant life....and they like to eat off the ground all day any trace of hay or invisible food :)

I haven't fortunately seen any signs of colic....so I do it more as a preventative measure, eases my mind.

I have recently just applied the HD formula to the 3 horses and I did note very loose poo the next day. Otherwise they are all back to normal. They tend to go very green with the lucerne hay, so I think the next round bales will need to be just grass.

They get 2 hard feeds a day which they love and is slowly improving their condition. More hay they've been fed has not made a difference with their poo or their weight....it was the hard feed of (chaff/soya bean meal/speedibeet/copra/bread when available/equilbrium) that did the trick.

Thanks for that article. I have been looking for something like that on the internet, but couldn't find anything useful. Answers a lot of questions i've had of late.