Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When to worm a horse?

Hi Guys

I know this must sound like a STUPID question... *feels embarressed*... but i was just wondering...

When is the best time to worm a horse? As in, before a ride? After a ride? After his dinner?

Like, does it matter when you give it to them? Like if they eat after or before it or go riding after/before does it make them sick or something?

Sorry. :(

Default RE: When to worm a horse?

Some worming pastes to give diarrhea (or however you spell it in australia.) I usually never take notice when i give it to mine before a feed, after a feed, never had any problems, only once when they all got diahrhea from a cheapo value working paste, never go there again, took 4 days to clear their system.

Ok, i'll do it after the ride then and before feeding. Thank you.

I give him Equimax LV.

I found out the hard way that the pastes with "boticide" can cause colic. The latest one I used had a swing tag that says to give it after food. I musn't have been the only one.

I actually waited until they were about half-way thru their feeds, then put a headstall on, shot the paste in, then let them go back to their feeds. Didn't worry them a bit.

I like to worm on a day when he isn't getting worked. Usually I let him have a few mouthfuls of hay, worm him then let him have the rest. I *touch wood* have never had a problem doing it this way.

I usually worm in the morning, catch each one, worm it & then feed it. That way if anyone is going to have any sort of reaction, I will see it.

Cheers,
    Kaddy

Unless the wormer has a specific warning then it doesn't matter. However I tend not to worm before work and I always feed a couple of carrots afterwards to clean the mouth. I know many wormers are flavoured but I'm sure it can't feel all that pleasant to have a clagged up mouth! Thinking about it, mine are usually fed afterwards too.
    Do you have a worming schedule worked out for the next 12 months? It's a good idea to work out when and what you're going to use (you can keep an eye out for specials that way too - Equimax is nearly always on sale a few times a year). Don't underestimate the importance of a good worming program :)

agree Travers. For years I wormed in a really hit & miss fashion. Then I got my act together and spoke to my vet. He has a 2 page "worming protocol" sheet that he's done up, which advises the best type of wormer for specific times of the year, especially for up here in the tropics.

I would definitely talk to a local vet, one that understands the climate you're in, and get a bit of a plan worked out.

I usually give the wormer (some times after being worked, sometimes not), then feed them. Never had a problem yet.

Don't be embarrassed for asking the question either!! Horses (like kids) don't come with an owner's manual!!

Well i gave him it before i worked him... and he is fine. :)

Thanks for the help

So can i use Equimax LV for 12 months now? And then change it over? Or whaT? Coz some people say to change it all the time, others every couple months...?

I give it before morning fed for one reason, they are anticipating the feed and do not view things suspiciously at that time, and seem to just accept the worming paste.

However if I went out in the paddock during the day and tried....non cooperative and snorting it out on me :)

This morning I did the 3 and I have to proudly say they were angels, just put in the side of the mouth and quick release, no fighting it at all. A face pulling act for 30secs, then lick the lips and over with it and neighing starts for their feed.