Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default RE: Mr HP Sand Colic Recipe

sorry, i must be totally dence but what is this Mr HP sand colic recipe? i dont think i have ever heard of it!.

HP has some good, common sense things to say. Unfortunately, he oftens promotes as FACT things which he just personally feels very strongly about. I can't find his recipe, no any scientific studies to promote his claims.
    Ah well, I am sure he will appreciate being talked bout! LOL

he he Simi! Nicely done.

I actually bought the recipe (darn that $10) and then couldn't get it near my horse. He took one look at the milk and cream and went- I'm sure as h*ll not eating that.

I guess you could 'drench' the whole lot down the horse's mouth, but it would take hours to get that much into a drench for a start and you'd be covered in disgusting milky, honeying mess. Second, my feelings sort of went by the way of Neisje above- if he didn't want to eat it, it probably wasn't that good for him anyway (he's not a fussy boy).

Have used it.........

Did nothing.

I would not waste you time and money.:)

I must admit I'm a fan of the simple 'grassy hay, hay and more hay' and access to to it (or pasture)24/7.

Now that is natural! And your horse will agree :)

http://www.ozhorseforum.com/index.ph...blog&blogid=2&

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...raluendemo.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ingandZari.jpg

Grassy hay or straw, small hard feed with some extra salt in it to encourage drinking. You might have to lock the horse away from grass to get it to eat enough hay. Horses, after a certain age, can no longer absorb milk protein so all that milk and cream are doing is causing a spasmodic reaction from the bowel to "clear it".

Water for the washing effect

Hay for the scrubbing effect are the most natural ways of clearing sand.

If the horse has problems with teeth try some very, very wet speedi-beet (although you will have to introduce that slowly to start with).

In the old days, the heavy work horses used to have their bellies wacked with a board (when they were lying down) :) to move the sand. Can't see a TB standing (lying) still to allow you to do that though.
    Brokeford Holsteiners - video and pictures - www.brokeford.com.au

Try feeding Psyllium Husks for sand collic.

Feed a cup full of Psyllium Husks, once a day for three or four days, each month.

I use it - works brilliantly evey 6 months or so to clean out. never ever had anything but good come out of using it - and it has always worked to pass alot of sand - more that phsyllium ever has. I also DID THE RIGHT THING and paid $10 for it - at the end of the day what a small small price to pay for such wealthy advice - as i am now confident and know i will never have problems caused by sand colic.

I have used it for a while on my two horses and been very happy with the results. Both of my horses are on regular worming programme (annual rotation of Strategy-T and standard wormer) every 6 weeks and they both get plenty of hay and grazing. Right now I give the drench every 3 months becuase it's still dry and not a lot of feed out.

The thoroughbred mare will eat it in her feed (slowly) overnight.
    My national show horse gelding won't eat it but accepts the full dose being syringed in with a worming paste syringe.

Neither have had diorrhoea and their manure looks just fine. I've seen sand come out in the manure, not huge amounts though but becuase I take a lot of precautions I wouldn't expect to see it. The mare especially is a messy, food tipping eater off the floor so I take pains to stop her scruffing her feed out of the bin - this has more effect IMO than anything else!

One thing for sure, their coats absolutely BLOOM three weeks after they have it.