Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Feeding Copper Sulfate

can somebody tell me the pros and cons of feeding copper sulphate and also how you feed it? I've looked on the web but there wasnt anything helpful i could find

Thanks

Default RE: Feeding Copper Sulfate

Hi Rowdy,
    Cant help you, but Ive also heard its good to put in their water, to stop algae. Id like to hear thoughts on feeding it, and also putting it in the water too! :)
    Puddles!

Hi, I would recommend the book Natural Horse Care from Pat Coleby often sold through Saddleworld shops. There are 5 pages written only about feeding copper sulfate.
    Its a very good book, also try the webpage www.countrypark.com.au and search. You might find something there as well. Good luck, horse1chester

Bung a length of copper pipe in the trough to stop algae as well..

Forget who said that, but awesome tip.

The bottom line is don't do it!!! Feeding copper sulphate to animals at the 'recommended rate' has killed more than one or two alpacas that I know of.
    This from Peter Huntington of KER -

"The current practice of adding copper sulphate is dangerous and likely to be ineffective as a means of getting copper into the horse. Copper sulphate can be irritant to the horse's mouth and the daily copper requirement will be fulfilled by less than a gram of copper sulphate. It is difficult to accurately feed that small a quantity, let alone know if the horse eats it. Often copper deficiencies are matched by zinc, manganese, iodine and selenium as well. Use copper sulphate in the water to control algae, but stick to the proven methods to supplement a deficient diet"

I don't know about the copper pipe in the water but try gold fish - they work a treat!!

Hi Gem
    we use a copper colbolt block and it also has zinc, manganese, iodine and other salts,
    we find it great and the horses only touch it if they need it.
    about $20.
    lorraine

for the love of the horse
    Just Keep It Simple

If you have dark coloured horses, a copper deficiency can be detected if their coat has a light red look about it. With cattle they get a light red ring around their eyes.

I feed copper from time to time, only because I know that we live in a copper deficient area.

I've never had a problem with feeding it.

Why on earth would anyone want to feed their horse/s a toxic, caustic substance?

If a horse is deficient in copper, then get a safe supplement.
    Blocks are made for automatic filling water troughs. Otherwise just clean them.

I cannot see how feeding a horse with copper sulphate is 'natural'. If the horse has a worm burden, get a drench.

I have always been told that it is an old myth and we should never feed Copper Sulfate to horses...

I use gold fish, I buy these cute little babies and now have some whoppers... They work a treat... And you can always bring them into the house when you want to do a gold fish thing and when you get bored with them, back to the trough they go :-)

Haha Ive never heard of using goldfish!! :)
    The horses dont try and eat them and wonder what the hell is swimming around in their water?!