Default Resting Heart Rates for the endurance horse

Hi I know either I have asked this before or someone has, but what is considered a good resting heart rate for an endurance horse.

cheers

Default RE: Resting Heart Rates for the endurance horse

A "good" resting heart rate would be 30-35, and EXCELLENT resting heart rate would be 24-30.

But really at the end of the day your horse's heart rate just needs to be under the wire to continue. Under 55 for training rides, under 60 for endurance rides in order to continue. The advantage of a low resting heart rate is that if your horse has a naturally low heart rate, his chances of having a low finishing heart rate after doing the ride are pretty good. Of course fitness level factors into this greatly as well.

But then it doesn't matter if your horse has a resting heart rate of 40 so long as he finishes under what's required.

I rode a horse who started at 40bpm and finished on 40bpm - you can't ask for more than that! :)

good answer SS

the difference between them is the rider can be lazier in training and/or caring for their horse if its in the excellent rating and still get through, but at what cost to their horse? (it can be far more tired and stressed than the "good" rated horse and still get through)

by the same token my friend T had a 15 hand mare with a heart the size of a shetland pony and high heart rate leaving her little leeway to get through vet checks, and still successfully completed. she just had to take 4 times more care in her preparation and riding to get her through, so who would be the better horse person?

Bred a TB filly with a heart rate of 80, no endurance career for that one, speed? she was so fast you had to see it to belive it. unfortunately spotlighters ended her career before it started.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

As Mindari alluded to it is all about management in my eyes. If your horse has a higher resting heart rate then your management needs to that little bit better.

Is the resting heart rate of a fit or an unfit horse? As the horse gains fitness the resting and working heart will drop.

*picks up her stethoscope and heads for the horses* lol

Thanks, horse in question has a resting heart rate of 24, she is currently only in very very light work ie once a week if we get the time, does that mean her heart will be almost no exsistant if she gets fit :7

cheers

What are her bloodlines??

SS I used to have issues getting my polar HR monitor working, I am beginning to think that is because it just didn't register...

Don't laugh if I tell you, she is 50% arabian, out of a Dunwingeri mare (Al Karim Sir Halim/Fahran) by a wb stallion (tb and wb in their mainly Trak blood).

cheers

LOL
    if she does well and she should, the owner of the sire will tell you it all came from him, the owner of the mare will tell you it all came from her.

such fun.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

As has been previously said, the resting heartrate will drop as the horse gets fitter. So, as long as the horse is fit for the job, the resting heartrate is not something to be concerned about.

Rather, you must focus on the recovery rate of the individual horse. As you get to know your horse, the time required for your horse to recover to a level that will see it Vet through successfully is more important than the resting heartrate.

And as SS said, the requirement for a training ride is under 55 beats per minute, but the requirement for an endurance ride is ALSO under 55 bpm for the first leg, and under 60 bpm for subsequent legs.

While training your horse, religiously record the recovery rate and time for every training session in order to determine whether your horse is ready to enter (and successfully complete) a ride.