Thread: RAKALIN

RAKALIN Guest

Default RAKALIN

Has anyone out there used the product RAKALIN. I would like to know if it's any good and If there are any side effects?

Fran Guest

Default RE: RAKALIN

All you need to know Sweet Pea is that it SWABS very easily...

Reminds me of one of those "most memorable letters to the editor" in a horse magazine a few years ago. It went something like "I've heard a lot about the use of drugs in the show ring! What are they called and where can I get them?".

Re Rakelin, it reportedly helps quiet fractious horses and may assist with day-to-day training. Your horse could easily scour though and it is unlikely to have a long term benefit. It is also very swabbable, so don't think you can use it at competitions. For best advice, you should consult your vet, as it is an S4 drug and must be prescribed by a qualified person.

michelle(nz) Guest

We used it on a racehorse. He was the most nervous horse you will ever see! He use to be fine in his box, but bring him out and he would just shake, like a shivering shake. I felt real sorry for him, as he just didn't want to be a racehorse. It did not help a great deal, he still shook, and like Bill said, he had awful scours.

Rosemary Guest

And traces can still be found in the blood after something like 700 days. Scary stuff.

Sally Guest

Yes, I've heard that too Rosemary. My vet once gave me some for my horse who has a bad shying problem (after checking his eyes etc.). My trainer said "if you want to ride a horse that feels like it's had a frontal lobotomy, go for it!" Needless to say, I never used it.
    As for the scours, that is apparently how you know if it's working! You give them x amount till they scour (some sort of reaction to the seratonin being released) then back it off to a smaller dose. If they don't scour, they haven't had a big enough dose! Sounds lovely doesn't it!!!

Years ago I agisted at a property where there were pacers trained. There was one who had all the ability in the world but was a shocker at a standing start. The vet gave the trainer an ampoule of Serpisil (the human stuff that evolved to Rakelin) and said give him half. It only looked a tiny amount so the trainer gave him the lot. Poor little Dinkie (nickname) had his race and 'woke up' in the paddock 3 days later. Prior to that, he had become sedated to the point that his head hung to the floor, his eyes rolled back in his head, his bottom lip hung 3 inches down, he sweated and scoured continuously and he leant against the wall to keep from falling over. Hideous stuff and I loathe the effect on a horse. I don't care what major effect it has (if any) on the temprement. I would not be responsible for putting a horse through that discomfort. I am really glad that it swabs so easily because that is enough of a deterrent to keep most people from using the junk. How it could help a horse condition beats me because the poor sods scour so much.
    It was developed for handling scizophrenics so I wonder if it has the same effect on humans when the serotonin is released? Uurrgh.