Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transport costs and companies?

Just after an approx cost of shipping a horse from Nowra general area to Newcastle, and a few ideas on who to use? After a month of stuffing around, my boy is coming home (at buyers expense!!!) and she is having him trucked. I would like to give her some suggestions if possible (and hope she doesnt die at the price, which I suspect is quite expensive)

Cheers

Cessnock Horse Transport do that run.

They are very good,

1800 261 670

Brett Jones Horse Transport are another, but I don't have his number.

Not sure of the cost.

yep, go with nancy and colin from cessnock.

I used Idano to get Iggy from QLD to Wollongng $770 (gst inclusive)
    For I have sworn thee fair, and thought thee bright, who art as black as hell, as dark as night...

I wouldnt let Idunno anyhwere near a horse.

Southern Cross?

Funny that you say that.
    Not entirely happy with them myself...be interested to hear why you don't like them

Just giving an average price.

Anubis
    For I have sworn thee fair, and thought thee bright, who art as black as hell, as dark as night...

Ditto Do!
    Idano should no longer be running IMO the amount of damage theyve done to the amount of horses should be cause enough to shut them down.

Notable (1800 063 313) and Prestige (0422 476 457) both do that run, but they won't be cheap. I can however recommend both. Contact for Jones Horse Transport is 02 4474 3526. I am not sure they have a very good reputation however, someone warned me off using them a few years ago - they may have improved though.

Some other transports to consider: RB Horse Transport (from Scone), have used them and they are EXCELLENT. Contact is 02 6545 9680. Livestock Transport, contact (02) 9663 0539, also excellent. They have been around for a very long time, and you don't stay in the horse transport business if you aren't any good. There's also Sydney Horse Transport, 1300 768 008. If you are in the Newcastle area you could also contact the locals, like Jason Deamer (0414 574 012), and Newcastle Livestock (0414 684 693).

I didn't realise that Col Westbrook went as far south as Nowra; I know he does a weekly run to Dubbo but didn't realise he went south as well. He is very reliable though, and is cheaper than most. Contact is 02 4998 6226.

I'm guessing the cost of transport from Nowra to Newcastle will run anywhere from $300 to $600, depending on what company does the job.

Actually Koalas it is surprising how many of the big Horse Transport are still in business with the reputation they have and the practices they carry out, ie like horses going from Brisbane to Adelaide non stop with 2 drivers. They then wonder why the horse arrive sick.

I also know of 2 large companies that have killed complete trailer loads of horses on long runs, through not stopping and giving the horses contaminated water to drink.

I have also heard of horses traveling from Sydney to Brisbane with broken legs and the horse down. Vet said that the horse had the leg broken and been down for most of the trip.

I also have heard of mares getting in foal in transit as to save money they stop at showgrounds and put multiple horses in yards or mares and stallions in yards next to each other.

I am pretty sure that Cessnock have a truck based in the Shoalhaven with their second driver.

If you want to talk general Horse Transport their is only one company that I would use for the East Coast/ Brisbane - Melbourne run and that is Equine Answers Horse Transport but they dont do the Shoalhaven therefore Cessnock of Jones.

If you wanting East Coast to Perth or Adelaide you would use Equine Answers to Melbourne and then Goldners or Ramsays from there.

For Western Qld and Darwin connections you would use All Breeds from Brisbane and Equine Answers to connect.

The problem with transport companies is that they use Truck Drivers rather than Horseman. Equine Answers only use Horseman.

A lot of illness in horses in long distance transport is through horses not being able to lower their head and the hygiene of the trucks. You would be surprised how infrequently those large semis are properly cleaned out properly and washed.

Horses in the straight load trucks that load from the side cannot put their heads down causing all sorts of respiratory complaints, combine that with a dirty truck that could have been traveling sick horses just recently and you can imagine why so many horse arrive sick.

Equine Answers trucks are thoroughly washed and cleaned after every run. The horses travel on an angle and aren't tied up so they put their heads and clear their airways.

My advice is to stay away form the big companies where possible and go with the smaller Owner/Driver operators as some big companies are very unnotable.