Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to 'stretch' new boots

Apart from just wearing them.

I bought a new pair of Ariat short boots and the size I tried on in the shop was just fine. However they didn't have black so I ordered them in.
    Got them home and wow are they tight
    So much so that I took them back to the shop to make sure the size was right. It was. Tried on the pair in the shop again and they both fit just fine - so not even as if it was the 'try on' one as its mate fit fine as well.
    Next size up was way too big.

So I'm doing the wet newspaper thing.
    Any other suggestions as 5 minutes walking around just kills

Thick sox and bandaids for a while They'll loosen up. The ones you tried on in the shop had probably been tried on by hundreds of others and stretched. If you're really not sure taken 'em back before you wear them outside and swap for a bigger size.
    Cheers

The shoe repairers sell a shoe stretching liquid for about $11 that you spray on. I would spray it and squeeze in with thick sock and have a stagger about. A few times and it should help. The other option is to soak the newspaper in water.

Or my favourite, soak boots in water and put them on and have a stagger about.

Don't shoe repairers stretch shoes/boots with a special insert?

I have a pair of Ariats I bought a number of years ago and they finally fit me well. Lots of hosing horses after work did the job for me.

Those boots are a 10, my usual size, but the other day I bought another pair of Ariats, different style, and the 9 1/2 were the best fit. Odd.

Now I want to buy another pair (well, you can't have too many pairs of shoes or boots!) but the on line shop won't take returns. Argh! Tempted to buy the 9 and 1/2 and do some of the tricky stuff suggested here, but geez, $220, to hope they fit? Apparently, there is a difference in quality since Ariat moved to China, but size change?

Not sure about Ariats but I used to wear army boots years ago when I was a commercial cook.

The Army boys gave me some advice which was wear them in the shower with woolen socks (MUST be wool or you'll rub yourself raw) and wear them all day till they dried. It worked. So perhaps wet them on the outside and wear with wool socks till they dry? I probably wouldnt suggest soaking them inside out. Those old army boots we wore didnt have nice innersoles or anything. They were good ole plain leather on the inner sole.
    OakyPoke

'..his neigh is like the bidding of a monarch and his countenance enforces homage.'
    Shakespeare

Years ago I bought new top boots and put them in the bath and walked around in them until they were dry. Never got a single blister or rub and they fitted beautifully. Seems the army has chosen to use my idea ;-)

same as turtle,
    fill them with toasty warm water, wait a min, empty, and wear till dry= perfect fit
    '..his neigh is like the bidding of a monarch and his countenance enforces homage.'
    Shakespeare

I've used the spray-on leather stretcher from the bootmaker or from some shoe shops, and it works very well.
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses"