Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has anyone ever used any horse first aid products for humans use before?

Probably not the most well phrased question, oh well.
    I was curious, has anyone ever used, or heard of, usng ointments/creams like White Healer etc, on yourself?
    Or veterinary prescribed products?
    I know there a few uses for horse grooming products, like Cowboy Magic etc.

The stud I am currently working at had a lady use 'Its Magc', which I believe is made in NZ?, and take teh liquid for her auto-immune disease and cleared it up apparently (normally used to clear cold symptons in horses)

Would never ingest anything designed for horses as the ingredients and doses are very different. But I have been known to use rapigel on a sore muscle. And I used a bit of bonjella on my horses gum when her tooth was coming through. We like to share

I don't know if it counts, but a little while ago I cut my finger in the tack room and when it wouldn't stop bleeding, I went straight for the horses 1st aid box. Bandaged it up and finished cleaning stables.

I cut my hand working in the shed and I put some iodine on it - never again. Bugger me did it sting. It didn't get infected though.

Regarding Vet products and in particular prescribed ones: It is a very dangerous habit to get into!

Some of the topical ointments for sprains etc **might be OK** to use but it seriously is not worth the risk.

The concentrations and ingedients are specifically designed to be absorbed by a horse and usually they are calculated to be used on a 500kg horse- so unless you weight 500kg it is way too strong/much for human use

Humans are relatively delicate creatures whose kidneys and internal organs do not cope with abuse. If you do abuse them, then by the time the symptoms show you usually have serious complications or failure

There are specific human versions of most horse realted substances and it pays to use the correct medication- if there is not human equilivalent then chances are it is not designed for human use and can be detrimental or possibly fatal.

I have no objection if anyone wants to use cowboy magic on their hair or on their dogs etc- but I do ** STRONGLY OBJECT** to any one suggesting prescription Vet items to be used on humans- it is irresponsible and plain stupid to suggest it!

I know a few people who use Voltaren gel on their horses legs and swear by it. I think it swabs so I can't use it (so many events that swab close together).

Quote Originally Posted by kait21 View Post
    Would never ingest anything designed for horses as the ingredients and doses are very different. But I have been known to use rapigel on a sore muscle. And I used a bit of bonjella on my horses gum when her tooth was coming through. We like to share
    good old rapigel is great for sore muscles and arthritic joints !
    wouldnt ever TAKE anything tho !

forget the name but won a bottle of linament for sore legs and hubby swore by it for his bad back.

as for pink eye powder.... heaven sent... infected cut... by Hartley, throbbing so bad i could scream.. rubbed it into the cut and pain free by Lithgow..n all the redness gone. great on pimples too. as well it stops proud flesh soo any cuts, pack it in the before and after shots of misty are mind boggling.

as for the horses, houridid is always in my box for bruises both equine, canine and homosapien. the biggest tubes available are where the greyhound trainers shop incidently, n the cheapest too.

Always happy to use the iodine on my own cuts. Have also used all different kinds of linament on my aching back at different times with varying degrees of success - never had any allergy to it.
    Had a friend who used a few grains of bute on his toothache and claimed it helped ... he lived to tell the tale so I'm assuming he didn't ingest too much.

I'm pretty sure Rapigel is used by more humans than horses.
    Terrific stuff!
    I would never ingest any horse meds, but some topical treatments are almost identical to human versions, just cheaper and come in bigger tubs.