Smile How do you cure dandruff in horses??

hello everyone. my horse has dandruff in his mane and tail, and for months i have been trying to cure it but i cant. anyone got suggestions?

What products have you tried?

could it be something else rather than "just dandruff"?
    Maree

Elmo gets a bit of dandruff or scurf when his mane needs a wash. I find even just ordinary 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner fixes it, but if it's persistent, you could try some Head & Shoulders etc. Unless of course your horse has some sort of sensitivity to something.
    After washing, it's important to rinse really thoroughly - and get out ALL the shampoo. That's also a cause of scurf.
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses"

My horse has started to get an itchy, dandruffy mane lately too. I don't wash it weekly he will rub I wash it thoroughly to remove all scurf and then I condition it for a while to try and be kind to the hair and skin. I thoroughly rinse it all and dry it off with a towel, which usually removes the last of the little scurf pieces. Then I put moroccan oil in his mane, on the rubbed part (about 10cm long). I think the problem with my horses mane is the skin gets really dry and itchy as it has been dry and windy here and I have noticed my skin is feeling a bit dry too. This causes him to rub and make little scabs. The moroccan oil seems to really keep the skin soft and moist for days, and also causes all the little scabs to fall off. This has been what has worked best for him.

Adding Silica to the feed may help! I have found this beneficial for both standard dandruff and the itch. I use Fossil Shell Flour as it has a very high silica content and is fantastic for hair, skin and nails.
    Also Garlic is rich in sulphur which is essential for healthy skin and hair.

I would probably expect to see results in about 6 weeks, by treating from the inside and out you will probably have more success.

I would prob also recommend more brushing then washing so as to not strip to many oils and dry out the skin. And with those awful flakes the horses get it will help to remove them, i find a comb works best in the mane! Brushing will also stimulate blood flow to the area (provided the brush massages the neck/dock as you brush) which will help encourage hydration and cell growth and recovery to the area!

Hope that helps

tell us what you've done, what results you got when you tried these things...

so none of us waste our time writing long complicated answers before you say "oh did that, didn't work".

Head & Shoulders
    or
    Tea Tree Oil shampoo
    or
    If you suspect a cause other than dry skin - betadine iodine wash stuff

Add some oil to diet (if not getting any).

As mentioned what have you tried? It will help with suggestions.