PDA

View Full Version : Ulcers

Cinderella
15-05-12, 12:06 AM
What are people feeding their horses with ulcers?

and what feeds to avoid?

Any info would be great!!;)

Banjo
15-05-12, 08:27 AM
Huge fan of alkapellets for my ulcer horse. His condition and temperament have improved so much on this feed.

gdh
15-05-12, 11:25 AM
The same as for laminitis i.e. plenty of roughage, low carb, low sugar. Hygain Zero, any of the beet or soy hull products :)

Harriette
15-05-12, 11:38 AM
Good feeds

Oats
Lucerne
Protein
Alkaline

I don't let him face any stressy situation without some protein and carbonate in his belly.
Even better is the slow feed haynets, so he always has something in his belly.
He now eats more, puts on weight, and is more even in his temperamant

Dressagedelight
15-05-12, 01:40 PM
My boy doesn't have a problem with weight, but he has lots of grass hay, sometimes oaten hay.

Fed twice per day
oaten chaff - lots
small amount of lucerne
small amount of SR Barley

I also add a supplement Bariki Organics Digest - this seems to have really helped him as a maintenance.:)

Supersport
15-05-12, 01:49 PM
Tuffrock GI supplement

KTpi
15-05-12, 02:25 PM
It's great to feed to prevent ulcers, but treating them is a different story.

My horse is fed 'normally' (white chaff, green chaff, easi-result) but is given Omoguard daily. It's a paste to treat ulcers that is prescription only. He has been diagnosed with ulcers by scoping.

woodstar
15-05-12, 08:00 PM
Like KT i recently had one of my horses scoped for ulcers (yep found em). The only thing to really fix them is the medication from the vets.

but as a preventative- lots of lurcerne (it creates saliva) and low starch concentrate. Ifeed a fair amount of lucerne hay as well as chaff so he is always munching.

ALWAYS feed a small amount of hay/chaff before work/travel/stressful things so they have something in their belly if they start producing lots of acid.

I also recently switched from easi-response to nutririce versitile due to the lower starch content. I was a bit worried they might fall off due to the much lower energy (i have eventers) but my horses have never been fatter or shinier and are being very well behaved on it.

Ive read alot of great things about alkapellets but i have no idea where i could get them near me (hawkesbury)....

gdh
15-05-12, 08:40 PM
It's great to feed to prevent ulcers, but treating them is a different story.

My horse is fed 'normally' (white chaff, green chaff, easi-result) but is given Omoguard daily. It's a paste to treat ulcers that is prescription only. He has been diagnosed with ulcers by scoping.

Gastrozol is the identical product but much cheaper, 10ml daily x 2wks then 5mls daily x 2wks & they should be healed :)

Cinderella
16-05-12, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys...have got my boy on omoguard at the moment.

Where do u get Gastrozol from? the vets? Sounds likea good option!

I have heard of alkapellets but being in teh country I reckon it will be hard for me to get my hands on. Now the Nutririce might be a great option for me.

I like teh idea of a feed before being ridden.

Funny thing is, I started him on the omoguard on Friday adn today I had the most loveliest ride I have ever had...Im thinking ulcers have been niggling for a while

Harriette
16-05-12, 01:03 AM
I started a thread a while ago, about my pony.
It may be of interest to you re 'niggling things'

http://forum.cyberhorse.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=98886&highlight=Ulcers+case+study

Banjo
16-05-12, 08:08 AM
If anyone is trying to source alkapellets, the wholesaler is Tallahasee Feeds 0430 836 719. They organised to send the products to my usual produce store

Dressagedelight
16-05-12, 11:20 AM
Cinderella, it may also pay to have bloods done for your horse. Just a thought....I actually engaged an equine pathologist to do my boy and not only was he positive for ulcers but he also was showing an allergice reaction, his system had gone into stress reversal and his adrenals weren't functioning properly. So, it just wasn't the ulcers we had to consider with the feeding it was the food intolerance - which we could only put down to pellets at that time. So, they were eliminated immediately.

So, I suppose all i'm trying to suggest is that there could be something else there too. I'm not sure where you are based, but I am very happy to recommend this person, PM me and I will pass the details to you.

:cool:

gdh
16-05-12, 11:50 AM
Informative site dealing with ulcers & the pressure point diagnosis as well as video showing how:
http://www.depaoloequineconcepts.com/library/ulcer_treatment_protocol.aspx