PDA

View Full Version : Getting out and visiting studs in order to find the next neddy

carbon
29-05-12, 09:18 PM
I am very excited because I have decided to get out and see some studs in order to start the planning process for my future horse.

I am off to a very good PRE stud to take a peek at their stock. Over the next few weeks I will be seeing a few studs.

So how many of you are researching the next horse? Have you been to studs? What was it like? What questions did you ask??

For those of you who breed horses what do you expect from the people who come to visit? How do you have faith in selling the visitor a horse?

LisaL
29-05-12, 09:41 PM
Ive done stud visits and ended up buying. Big hint, manage expectations, let them know before you go that you are just looking.

And be polite, never ever tell people what you dont like about their horses. They have given up their time for you, and some go to a lot of work, so even if you loathe their horses you treat them with respect and kindness.

Stud visits are a great way to get your eye in and learn family types

GDR
29-05-12, 10:18 PM
As a stud owner, the thing that annoys me the most is when people make an appointment to visit and then don't turn up. I usually spend a few hours getting the particular horses they are interested in ready and usually have to employ people to help me. I know I'm not the only stud who does this either. The least people could do is give the stud a call and cancel. No one is going to complain if there is a genuine reason why the visit cannot go ahead.

I don't mind at all if people just want to come to have a look at my horses. In fact I encourage it. I usually get a feeling which ones are ready to buy and which ones are months (years?) off purchasing. I'm a firm believer in prospective purchasers visiting as many studs as possible to get a feel for the different bloodlines in their chosen breed.

carbon
29-05-12, 10:39 PM
Gosh I would never be telling someone I don’t like their horses. People don’t breed horses unless they love them and they usually breed traits they personally like, so I imagine pointing out flaws in their stock would be the rudest thing a person could do. Although I did mistakenly point out my friends horse who had floppy ears (which I love!!) but she hated and I only realised after I said it. But I really do like floppy ears on horses, they are cute! I will never point that out again to anyone.
Oh and I have already been very clear that I am not after a horse for 18 months. The few studs I have booked don’t have anything for sale atm so that works well. I don’t think there are many time wasters in the PRE field so I am lucky that most breeders and studs want to share their interest and are keen to get more people interested in their horses.
And heaven help me if I ever become a person who would ask for someone time and then not turn up without letting them know. That goes for more than stud visits. I think people’s time is precious and I am asking for their time with no guarantee of purchasing a horse, so really they are doing me a favour 
But it is exciting to start the process of looking and we are going to take a look at the stud books to help me understand the PRE rules and breeding.

windsweptfarm
29-05-12, 10:47 PM
I've been having a bit of a look around, but nothing serious as a new horse is probably at least 18 months away *sigh* And I can't get around on my own yet...but when I can I'll most likely go have a look around at some local studs, even if I'm not looking specifically yet, more just to get an better idea by seeing horses in the flesh.

Harriette
29-05-12, 11:30 PM
I have been to a few studs,
shopping,
Its hard because I have an idea in my mind, and you don't always know if the stud may have 'one'?..three studs didn't.

Looking for Jazie, I considered a 2yo, but was really worried about a stifle. Breeder was an acquaintance, so I asked if I could look at the next foal drop, as I was really keen to have a youngster by her snr stallion...didn't like the jnr stallions much, or their get.
only really liked one or two mares out of the band. I admit I do not like brood mares...find most of them very ugly and 'distorted'
Annoyed the breeder for a return visit and voila, saw THE perfect animal, when he was 3 and a bit weeks old. Didnt look or ask about the dam or the sire, luckily...
jazie was by the right stallion, and my fav mare of the stud.

He is growing to exceed my expectations, and for a clumpy hairy cob...that's saying something.:)

Honesty is the best policy imho
And if your not able to buy, should you be taking up their precious time, without giving them the choice? Dunno, personally it makes me cranky, preparing a horse, giving a demo ride, stranger riding my horse, horse puts in monumental effort...person says oh I really want her, but I am not in a position to buy a new horse just yet. My time and ponys effort for nothing...so a stranger can have a nice afternoon out.Not very fair.

glen_lomond
30-05-12, 08:00 AM
We love having visitors to see the horses we breed. And we like potential buyers to come and spend some time here so we have a better idea if they're likely to be someone we want to sell to.
That's one of the benefits to only breeding a few I suppose.
Having said that, there are probably better times to see our weanlings than right now. They have both turned into stunted hairy yaks!! Luckily I have photographic evidence that they used to look better! And by 12 months or so they have usually improved again.

Djangoandjacana
30-05-12, 08:23 AM
Carbon whilst I am sure you wouldn't say anything be aware that sometimes the face is a dead give away :) keep smiling and asking questions.

This time of year you are not going to see many at their best as they will have sprouted their winter coats. My biggest problem is always my embarrassment at having to show people itchy horses. Itch is pretty much endemic in the breed. It is easy to say do not breed from itchy horses but with our severely limited gene pool virtually impossible. The old Australian lines from the 70's seemed to be freer of it but all my unrelated mares suffer from it. I do my best with rugging and repellants but I much prefer visits in spring when they look their best.

That said I am happy to have visitors any time that is possible. Have to fit it around work. Too small to have staff but too big to make it easy to manage!

GDR
30-05-12, 09:23 AM
Also take advantage of any stud Open Days. I had my Open Day a couple of weeks ago and although it was a huge amount of work, it was a far better way of showing off my horses to many more people than I could cope with in a normal stud visit. Visitors are usually much more relaxed as they don't have to talk to the owner if they don't want to and can spend as much or as little time as they like wandering around.

Djangoandjacana
30-05-12, 10:50 AM
If I had an open day I'd imagine after spending days in preparation only to spend the actual day sitting around twiddling my thumbs whilst no one turned up. Last time I organized one was when we had our AGM in Newcastle. Apart from the fact not many members made the AGM even less of them came to the open day. I ended up inviting all the neighbours over for a BBQ so there were people there to demonstrate to. Had Django up and ridden as part of it.

On the other hand going to other peoples open days is something I love to do if I can manage it. Great way to see a bunch of horses without feeling like a time waster if you are not in the buying phase. Really gets your eye in. When they have the big stallion show in the Netherlands most of the studs and training stables put on open days over a few days after the show. As distances are small you can plan to go to two or three a day for a couple of days. Wonderful experience.

Not something so easy to do here when the studs you want to visit are flung all over the country.

Look out for classification days too. They are over now but the Lipizzaner Association had them running through May in QLD (actually north NSW), WA, NSW and SA (no Vic for some reason)

GDR
30-05-12, 11:19 AM
D & J, my stud is also located a bit out of the way. I overcame the problem by hiring some facilities closer in. It wasn't as hard as it sounds getting all the horses there (used a transport company for the PREs and other big horses and two floats for the Minis). The cost of hiring marquees etc for my own place would have been much greater than what it cost me to hire purpose built, weather proof facilities in a gorgeous location. Even though it was Mothers Day, I still managed to get around 250 people there.

carbon
30-05-12, 06:40 PM
I have been very clear that I am only in the research phase and that I wish to look at Spanish horse studs but have no intention of buying for about 2 years. I have then asked if they would still have me and the response have been yes. I have confirmed via email the same thing. So I think I have been clear and concise about when I am able to buy and that I am only in the research part of horse buying. Interestingly the owners are most interested in promoting the breed and they seem really happy that someone wants to visit and find out more about their horses. One lady has warned me that she has some really woolly horses due to the time of year.
Glen-lemmond the studs I am visiting seem to have the same attitude as you.
D&J – I have a great poker face. But also I genuinely love horses and am far from snobby so I don’t think I have to worry about insulting anyone. Also I can’t believe no one turned up to your open day... while I have not every considered owning a Friesian I would jump at the chance to go to an open day because I know nothing about them and they are obviously beautiful horses.
The thing is I have to choose my next horse very carefully because it’s a big important decision and I am going to spend the next two years researching to ensure I get it right. I have a few options and I want to make sure I make the best choice. The next horse I own I hope will be a future champion with me as its rider. I am sure that I am the kind of owner even the pickiest person would sell a horse too... but I won’t buy any horse it has to be the right horse for me and the only way I will know that is by doing the research.

LisaL
30-05-12, 07:46 PM
In the arabian world open days are usually well subscribed, but they are also very well advertised in magazines and lists. They are a great way of seeing a lot of horses. Stud visits can be as casual or as formal as the stud owner wants to make them.

Attending breed shows is also a great networking opportunity, also, volunteer to steward, often the judges will tell you stuff they wouldnt tell competitors and this is another great way to learn about your breed of choice.