PDA

View Full Version : Hayley's Appeal as per The Australian

Berni
06-07-12, 10:50 PM
Last chance for rider to stake dressage claim

by: Margie McDonald
July 06, 2012 12:00AM

BEIJING Olympian Hayley Beresford makes her last push for London today, when she takes her case for being left out of the dressage team to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Sydney.

Beresford is alleging Equestrian Australia changed is nomination criteria between Olympic qualifying events in Germany (May) and France (June), which resulted in her being left out of contention.
The rider gaining one of the three Olympic spots, Kristy Oatley, is ranked No 283 in dressage on the world list, compiled by the sport's governing body, Federation Equestrian International. Beresford is the second highest-ranked Australian at No 111.
She further alleges the final Olympic selections were to come from a dressage "shadow" team of seven riders named in early March. But Oatley's name was added in April.
Additionally, while Oatley was given an exemption from competition when her horse fell ill, Beresford alleges she was denied the same courtesy.
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/05/21/1226361/905907-subs-promo-top-50-sport.png (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/top50?utm_medium=marketing_placements&utm_source=TA&utm_campaign=50_sport&utm_content=mp_story_free_seealso&creative_id=ta_50_sport149x181_gen1a&sourceCode=TAWEB_MPL120A)

EA has already dismissed an initial appeal by Beresford, who is from Western Australia but is based in Germany, after an independent tribunal was set up to look into her claims.
EA did not publicly release its findings.
But Beresford lodged a final appeal with CAS, based in Switzerland, which has directed a hearing for today, with the London Olympics just 21 days away.
"During this time Equestrian Australia and the Australian Olympic Committee are unable to make further comment," a statement on EA's website said.
Beresford took to her Facebook page to say she wanted the matter cleared up quickly.
"Please understand that I have not taken this decision lightly," she said. "I recognise that my decision affects people other than myself and I'm sorry for any hurt that my actions might cause. But I personally feel it is a matter of importance that I take all avenues available to me to achieve my dream of competing at a second Olympic Games.
"Whatever the outcome, I will attempt to take all endeavours to see that the process is resolved as quickly as possible to hopefully serve as small a disruption to the team's preparation."
EA named a five-strong team for the three-day eventing competition in London on Tuesday.
The three-person dressage team cannot be confirmed until Beresford's appeal is finalised.

More... (http://equestrian.cyberhorse.com.au/201207069706/Dressage-News/hayleys-appeal-as-per-the-australian.html)

Beneteau
06-07-12, 10:56 PM
and did not compete for 21 months, and was not on the A Squad until April, and was not on the Shortlist on the 5th of March and didn't compete in the first nomination event and and and..... lets not even go to the shocking display of bad sportsmanship in the stable blocks at Aachen which should have seen the perp booted off the team IMHO :(

Renvers
06-07-12, 11:01 PM
Beneteau, what happened???

belambi
06-07-12, 11:02 PM
????????????????? What happened in Aachen?

Beneteau
07-07-12, 12:06 AM
Hmmm, this may not be over just yet.......

As to what happened in Aachen, the stable allocated by the stable wardens for Bellissimo was turned into a personal tack room of a member of the Australian Team and the door name was removed without permission and placed well away at the other end of the corridor and well away from the Australian team. Disgraceful.

BUT I made Google my friend and am just reading the nomination criteria - talk amoungst yourselves for a bit

Silversonic
07-07-12, 12:16 AM
Was there ever a place available on the Dressage Team? I think its time the members of our EA stood up to be counted, the whole selection process has been farce from beginning to end. Selectors hiding behind the word "Discretion" which is unable to be contested.

Beneteau
07-07-12, 12:22 AM
Well this gets stranger and stranger.

The nomination criteria has been breached there is no doubt about that and its been admitted. As for the Courts finding today they have found that the original tribunal did not make an error on a matter of law.

Whether or not Kristy was correctly nominated to represent Australia was not decided. It didn't get that far.

The nomination criteria states (1) (6) If an Athlete breaches the requirements of the Nomination Criteria, the Selection Criteria or the Olympic Team Selection By-Law, Equestrian Australia or the AOC may suspend or terminate the Athlete's membership from the shadow team

If you are not on the shadow team (shortlist) you are not eligible to be nominated to the team team if that makes any sense.

The AOC still have some power to interfere with the selection process if they are minded to do so it would appear.

Maybe the selector who gave the evidence to the Tribunal needs a foot up the bum, she was wrong and her statements were taken as right. This is shocking.

The AOC need to urgently step in for the sake of our sport.

Berni
07-07-12, 12:48 AM
Beneteau, well researched, I have trusted that this information would get out. Mary Hanna suggested that I thoroughly read the selection and nomination documents as I did not understand them! So, I did - and guess what, this thorough familiarisation gave me confidence that Hayley was on strong ground, as the rules seemed quite clear and not all riders had complied with them. I find this whole horrible mess is entirely the fault of EA for not having stuck to the times lines and achievements criteria and giving certain people the right to discretionary favour. I have posted my own comments as well as an overview of the CAS decision which was sent by a person very close to the sport. He commented on the personal relationships which favour some riders and have discriminated against others. In this time of equal opportunities, anti-discrimination and other accepted social standards, the behaviour we have witnessed is absolutely unacceptable and I will not rest until I see changes which ensure that this crap stops.

http://equestrian.cyberhorse.com.au/201207069707/Dressage-News/hayley-top-aussie-at-aachen-but-loser-at-cas.html

Berni
07-07-12, 12:51 AM
Beneteau again, Do you think that anyone will have the decency to point out the omission of the court and error of the first selection or will they just sit back and allow the demise in confidence of members, supporters, sponsors and other people who are equestrian sport.

Beneteau
07-07-12, 01:17 AM
The problem is the Court has not necessarily made a wrong decision, it did not consider any of the information past the point of law of the EA constituted appeals panel. The rot started before it even got to the Court and it started with shockingly incorrect statements being made by somebody who should have been totally familiar with the whole process. If you don't know the rules under which you operate you keep your mouth shut and save idle speculation. That evidence was relied upon to make a decision that should have gone the other way. The Court only decided on whether or not the tribunal should have relied upon it, the answer is yes, rightly or wrongly. There was an opportunity to challenge evidence and it was not taken, but in fairness the tribunal had the right to review the documents put before it as well in its search for fact.

I did notice that the President of CAS is also the chairman of a company that has a finanacial relationship with EA and I would question whether or not it would have been proper in the circumstances for him to remove himself as President of the Court until the matter was decided.

Unless you are automatically selected, then all other decisions rest with the discretion of the selectors. Obviously discretion can be used in such a way as to favor some and not others. I think there may be more on that as time goes by. The selection process needs urgent review and should not be open to favouritism (sp).

From what I can see there are a number of combinations that made the trip and/or spent a tonne of money to get over there and get qualified. The decision for this team was made before they left and thats not bloody fair.

Its time for all concerned to not only be doing the right thing, but be seen to be doing the right thing.

Centaur
07-07-12, 01:27 AM
Seems the President of the CAS is also Chairman of the AOC and William Inglis & sons
http://www.kempstrang.com.au/person/john-coates-ac

Good grief, could this get any more mucky?!

Beneteau
07-07-12, 01:30 AM
Beneteau, well researched, I have trusted that this information would get out. Mary Hanna suggested that I thoroughly read the selection and nomination documents as I did not understand them! So, I did - and guess what, this thorough familiarisation gave me confidence that Hayley was on strong ground, as the rules seemed quite clear and not all riders had complied with them. I find this whole horrible mess is entirely the fault of EA for not having stuck to the times lines and achievements criteria and giving certain people the right to discretionary favour. I have posted my own comments as well as an overview of the CAS decision which was sent by a person very close to the sport. He commented on the personal relationships which favour some riders and have discriminated against others. In this time of equal opportunities, anti-discrimination and other accepted social standards, the behaviour we have witnessed is absolutely unacceptable and I will not rest until I see changes which ensure that this crap stops.

http://equestrian.cyberhorse.com.au/201207069707/Dressage-News/hayley-top-aussie-at-aachen-but-loser-at-cas.html

Sorry to correct that, but the nomination criteria allowed no such thing. Thats what makes this all so wrong. The criteria was set in stone. There was an opportunity to change it by making the appropriate submission to the AOC to amend the rules. This did not occur. It was not correct to extend a courtesy to someone who had no entitlement to it.

KBauer
07-07-12, 01:32 AM
Beneteau again, Do you think that anyone will have the decency to point out the omission of the court and error of the first selection or will they just sit back and allow the demise in confidence of members, supporters, sponsors and other people who are equestrian sport.

Berni I simply cannot fathom how on so many points EA are able to get away with this. Surely errors of this kind should not be able to occur in a court? I have no idea as I am not legally savvy but it does seem totally bizarre.

How can this go further... another round of legal hurdles for Hayley?
Should the FEI perhaps not be paying some attention to what is going on? I have no idea what their role is within the Australian Federation but should they not also be questioning the integrity?

Beneteau
07-07-12, 01:34 AM
Thanks Centaur

from your link:

Mr Coates was appointed as a Companion in the General Division of the Order of Australia (AC), Australia's highest civilian honour "for service to the development of sport nationally and internationally through the Olympic movement promoting the well being of youth and values of tolerance, understanding, peace and mutual respect between peoples of the world."

I think we might all be needing some of this :confused:

KBauer
07-07-12, 04:53 AM
Seems the President of the CAS is also Chairman of the AOC and William Inglis & sons
http://www.kempstrang.com.au/person/john-coates-ac

Good grief, could this get any more mucky?!

Could it be then that both cases of Hayley's appeals were rigged? I believe that her first panel was also anything but independent.
The more we learn about the goings on of EA/AOC/CAS the more I can only shake my head in disbelief. That an Australian Sporting Federation can be so dishonest and corrupt is so saddening.

Especially when it is a federation made up of people that love their animals and love the sport.

Shame, shame, shame.

Over The Hill
07-07-12, 07:52 AM
All I can do is shake my head in wonder.

tickle2
07-07-12, 09:42 AM
G'day

Dressage is not my gig however given the drama associated with the Olympic selections I found this article in the SMH this morning; not good news for Hayley

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/row-over-olympic-dressage-team-defies-resolution-20120706-21mw8.html

Cheers
tickle

Berni
07-07-12, 10:38 AM
I reported on the findings of CAS yesterday and added a comment I received from someone with an interest and insight into the way this messy, unfair and biased process has unravelled. There are highly improper relationships at play and an ordinary rider/member like Hayley did not stand a chance. I cannot imagine any joy in riding at the Olympics knowing that the country you are riding for is not behind you and blames very poor management (which is already under a serious cloud!!!) very poor procedures and people with that appear to have vested interests. It will be a faint "Come on Aussie" that we hear at the equestrian events in London. Read below the comment I received - very telling! I blame EA and not the riders as they are expected to fight for their place on the team but they needed a framework to ensure that team spirit and public support was never compromised.

The sport of Equestrian is in Crisis in Australia.
The management team and selectors of Equestrian Australia should not be slapping their backs in self-congratulation as a result of the Court of Arbitration in Sports dismissal of the appeal of Hayley Beresford against the decision to exclude herself and her world class dressage stallion Bellissimo M from riding for their country at the London Olympic Games.
The fact that all three disciplines of equestrian,(showjumping, dressage and eventing) were subject to multiple appeals should be sending a clear message that the rank and file membership are most displeased and will no longer tolerate the favouritism, cronyism and corruption that dominates the sport at international levels.
The result of this Court of Arbitration in Sport appeal is almost a mute point, with a huge majority of the rapidly declining 20,000 strong membership dissatisfied with the actions of those charged with selecting the best team to represent Australia at London. The facts send a clear message to any Olympic hopefuls, and that is that they should hang up their boots and not chase their cherished dream of representing this Country unless you are extremely well connected within team management and have a very, very healthy bank balance.
The Equestrian public is baying for blood at the obvious team management connections between athletes and those charged with advising all team members in relation to achieving their Olympic dream. Athletes that secured their positions on the Olympic team with the assistance of any sort of conflict or bias must be sent home now, and their position to be filled by athletes that are truly worthy, before they are named and shamed.
Members should voice their concerns the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission about the anti-competitive behaviour of the newly formed events entry system.
The newly appointed Minister for Sport has been handed a golden opportunity to clean up a sport that is riddled with corruption that has gone unchecked for decades.
Written by a prominent member of the Dressage Community

Centaur
07-07-12, 10:41 AM
Berni, has that been sent to EA? Perhaps it should, along with a petition (signed in our real names of course!). Surely now is the time to act or this will all blow over and rear it's head again in another few years...just like the Rozzie & Excellent saga.

Berni
07-07-12, 11:05 AM
Further to a post on page one about proper and improper associations. I was told soon after the event in Compeigne that some of the Aussie riders and partners were noticed dining with the Selectors. I let it go at first, but now I wonder whether this sort of interaction has influenced the decisions. I thought at the time that it was in poor form. We all know it is not WHAT you do, but what is SEEN to be done and the person who told me was aghast that this blatant fraternisation was being indulged. Now I am a little on her side!

Berni
07-07-12, 11:09 AM
Yes Centaur, the whole sorry tale of the 2000 selection completely divided the Australian dressage community and instead of sharing a wondeerful time and enjoying playing host to the best riders and horses in the world, we were questioning what strings were pulled to overcome the score sheets. The same inter-personal relationships that seem (to me) to have been behind some of the current decision making and influences, were at play then and Australian dressage fans and EA members have been lulled into a sense of acceptance when in fact it is very wrong. I wonder if the AOC is aware - I think it is about to erupt.

Linon
07-07-12, 12:26 PM
Deborah McNichol is has been a paid employee of the Hanna's company for at least 10 years.

Deborah McNichol is the Chef d'Equipe of the Dressage team and in a position of great power and influence.

Mary Hanna is a member of the Dressage team.

Rob Hanna is the Chef d'Equipe of the Eventing Team.

Linon
07-07-12, 01:11 PM
But wait! There's more!!

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2012/07/06/hayley-beresford-loses-appeal-cas-australian-olympic-selection

From the Eurodressage website:

Australian Olympic reserve rider Hayley Beresford has lost her appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland. The German based Beresford appealed because she did not get an Australian Olympic team spot.
Beresford, a 2008 Australian Olympic team rider, and Zuchthof Schmidt's Westfalian licensed stallion Belissimo scored the third highest qualification score at the two official Olympic selection trials in Mannheim and Compiegne but was not granted a team spot by selectors Joanne Fowler, Maria Schewennesen, and Virginia Creed. The selectors made last minute changes to the selection rules to "legalize" their current team selection.
"I have lost my appeal and last chance to represent Australia at the Olympics. I am deeply devastated and at this moment cannot find the words to explain the selection process," a very disappointed and saddened Beresford said.
"I wish team mates Kristy and Lyndal Oatley and Mary Hanna the very best and will endeavor to positively support you as the reserve until the Games."
At the 2012 CDIO Aachen yesterday Beresford scored the highest mark of all Australian riders in the CDIO Grand Prix, beating both Olympic nominated Lyndal and Kristy Oatley. Despite being selected on the dressage team for Aachen, Olympic team rider Mary Hanna elected not to contest this year’s event with Sancette (by Sandro Hit).

teetee
07-07-12, 01:42 PM
I'm going to look into my crystal ball and predict that somebody's horse will go lame allowing Haley to ride thus getting the selectors off the hook and there will be a case of all is well that ends well - until next time.

Elvis
07-07-12, 01:47 PM
it just keeps getting more and more ugly.. who would want to be part of such a sport... ugly

Linon
07-07-12, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately there is even more than that...

The sensible thing now if for the Minister of Sport to intervene, or better still to bring in ASIC and ACCC.

If you care for your sport, ring the minister to tell them how unhappy you are.

Her name is Kate Lundy, and her Canberra Parliamentary Office number is: 02 6277 7977; her other office number is: 02 6230 0411.

I knew her briefly many years ago and I knew her to be a good person and a hard worker.

EA has a monopoly on how we compete, and increasingly how we enter competitions.

We are completely at their mercy, but we have numbers on our side.

Time to use them!

Linon
07-07-12, 02:06 PM
I'm going to look into my crystal ball and predict that somebody's horse will go lame allowing Haley to ride thus getting the selectors off the hook and there will be a case of all is well that ends well - until next time.

Teetee - yep, I think I can smell a dodgy abscess or tendon!!

You know, the ones that are soooo easy to diagnose, but soooo difficult to cure... :)

Silversonic
07-07-12, 02:13 PM
I think someone should contact A Current Affair Show or Sixty Minutes. Hayley ticked the boxes, got the scores on the board and has earned the right to ride for Australia in London.

Centaur
07-07-12, 02:57 PM
Let's not let it bring out the ugly side of us though...unsporting comments (not that there've been any...yet) about the other team members wouldn't be a good thing. Remember it's EA that has brought this around. Riders are all going to try as hard as they can to get on a team. EA shouldn't be putting them in such a situation. If things were above board and crystal clear everyone would know where they stood.

I'm just sayin'

Oh...here's a thought, perhaps they could ask Hayley to do a 'display' ;) :rolleyes:

ruppetto
07-07-12, 04:22 PM
Well thats it - after deciding earlier this month not to renew my EA membership and that of my 4 registered horses, due to the debacle that has become our governing body, my decision has been validated. For the first time in 20 years, I will not be a member of, and therefore will not support, the EA.
I am sure my paltry $400 or so will not make or break them, but it is seems to be the only way I can have any input into the EA anymore. Its the point that counts.

I have been one of the "valued" volunteers in the past, but that too will cease as of now. I realise I am narrowing my options re. competing, but don't see any point in doing so anyway - afterall, I don't own a yacht, so why bother even riding anymore??
I always used to joke about the "Dressage Mafia" in this country, but now it doesn't seem so funny.
At a National Championships not so long ago, I was working as a Volunteer Steward and had to pull up one of our Olympic Riders for failing to wear her helmet in the Warmup Arena - the look I received could have shattered glass!!

But what's the problem - is it one rule for the Wealthy and another for the Plebs??

It seems so.......

Sad, Sad Day...

Berni
07-07-12, 04:48 PM
Good point Centaur - I hold the very transparent (NOT) Grant Baldock accountable for the 2012 stuff ups. He has not acted with the "transparency" that he prides as his trademark in fact there has been very little information come from EA - even the Dressage Team announcement was 6 days overdue.

I was told the other day that Mary Hanna was pulling out (this seemed to fit in with her not taking part at Aachen) and having a start with team mates would seem to have be prudent as the last team rehearsal before the Olympics. Then I spent an hour on the Internet trying to find the comment that was quoted to me. Having failed to find anything, I wrote to Brett Mace and Grant Baldock and asked the question. Neither of the "Mr transparencies" paid me the courtesy of a reply.

I do not blame the riders for the unrest and my reading of the criteria points to confusion between EA's definition of the term "Shadow Squad" and the way the AOC views this term which seems much more state of eligibility used across all sports and has certain AOC markers which are tied to dates and achievements.
It is clear that these markers have not bee reached by some riders and the original appeal seems to have accepted Joanne Fowler's assurances that the Selector's recommendations were properly nominated as per the AOC's "Shadow Squad" definitions. The second appeal did not go back to these specifics and it seems that the public are more on top of the relevant rulings than the officials. The AOC needs to step in and clarify as the present situation is absolutely wrong and most people in this day and age understand about the saying "being seen to do the right thing!" the lack of thorough clarification - particularly when it appears to most of us that Hayley has fair and square earned her place - will have long reaching ramifications that will not go away anytime soon. No wonder EA's member numbers are dropping and this fiasco will not make people return anytime soon.

I suspect that Australia will do the same as Ireland and a second official body will be formed leaving the present bunch to pat themselves on the back for "a job well done" and being successful in reducing their workload!

Centaur
07-07-12, 05:05 PM
ruppetto; can't say I blame you. However, it's only a good protest nif you let EA know exactly why you aren't renewing. For that matter, we all need to let EA know exactly how we feel. It's no good bleating about it on here (well, it is because, although they all hotly deny it, EA keeps a strong watch on CBH I can assure you!) we need to write to the powers that be and demand answers. I for one, have contacted the AOC. Then again, my pathetic little email may not be worthy of an answer. So Berni, what about a group letter/petition to get some answers?

ruppetto
07-07-12, 05:19 PM
Centaur, you are so right. I WILL be emailing Mr Baldock, and whomever else in the EA Hierachy I can CC the email to, to let them know how cheesed off I am.

And My pathetic little email may Also not be worthy of an answer, but we have to do something, don't we?

Plebs Unite!!

Chris Hartigan
07-07-12, 05:24 PM
Surely a "Motion of No Confidence" would be far better than dismantling the whole structure.

There are many many MANY genuine people within the EA movement and they don't deserve to be kicked in the G*** because of those that head up the organisation.

Far better to replace those that seem to be at odds with the rest of us

Better still - it might be SO hot in the kitchen that they all resign :D - after their free trip to London of course - silly me

Chris Hartigan
07-07-12, 05:27 PM
deleted as I posted twice and now can't get rid of it.

KBauer
07-07-12, 06:13 PM

Tee Tee the only problem with that prediction is that Kristy is allowed to have Ronan there as a reserve horse all of her own to substitute thanks to the rule change of EA!!!!!!!!!

Linon
07-07-12, 06:36 PM
The Samanthat Lane article is now in the Brisbane Times:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/row-over-olympic-dressage-team-defies-resolution-20120706-21mw8.html

Pigeon
07-07-12, 07:26 PM
Well, this is a dressage thread, but I cannot believe that the eventing team got the nod, after all Andrew did not have the performances as far as I can see and as for the show jumping , I think that is still going. My calculations had Amy in there. So really it is all disciplines, who would want to be trying for any team today.

Fyadara
07-07-12, 07:29 PM
As a non EA member I am still disgusted that we don't send our best dressage rider to the Olympics. So who do I contact to express my opinion?

Linon
07-07-12, 07:30 PM
And where is Mary Hanna??? Surely this is the ideal big comp exposure - and to prove her worth on the team....!

KBauer
07-07-12, 08:04 PM
As a non EA member I am still disgusted that we don't send our best dressage rider to the Olympics. So who do I contact to express my opinion?

Fydara I have put the two following links up on my Facebook page, sadly I don't have an email for the minister of sport but someone had given me her phone number...

The Minister of Sport- If you care for your sport, ring the minister to tell them how unhappy you are. Her name is Kate Lundy, and her Canberra Parliamentary Office number is: 02 6277 7977; her other office number is: 02 6230 0411.

People wanting to contact the AOC to ask for scrutiny of the Australian Olympic Dressage Team selection process can use the following link, or they can contact John Coates AC, President of the AOC, directly at johncoates@olympics.com.au. Alternatively you can also email the CAS info@tas-cas.org

Jane_1
07-07-12, 09:50 PM
Fydara I have put the two following links up on my Facebook page

I've done the same.

Shabby and shameful. Makes me wonder why we bother.

kizzy
07-07-12, 10:09 PM
Are you sure of those email addresses? I just tried but it said they were invalid adresses?

Linon
07-07-12, 11:02 PM
Hi Kizzy, try the australian parliament house webpage.

I've had the same problem when trying to contact people.

But don't let it stop you from making your feelings known!!!

kizzy
07-07-12, 11:39 PM
Thanks, I will. Anyone who knows me knows that I do at least put my money where my mouth is.:)

teetee
08-07-12, 12:35 AM
Tee Tee the only problem with that prediction is that Kristy is allowed to have Ronan there as a reserve horse all of her own to substitute thanks to the rule change of EA!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it won't be Kristy to fall on her sword? I can't see Kristy being allowed to ride two horses if one of the others pulls out?

Centaur
08-07-12, 01:50 PM
Surely a "Motion of No Confidence" would be far better than dismantling the whole structure.

There are many many MANY genuine people within the EA movement and they don't deserve to be kicked in the G*** because of those that head up the organisation.

Far better to replace those that seem to be at odds with the rest of us

Better still - it might be SO hot in the kitchen that they all resign :D - after their free trip to London of course - silly me

Absolutely right Chris. There are many at EA who are genuine, and yes, a vote of no confidence would be the most effective. For this to happen, don't we, the members have to call and extra-ordinary meeting or something?

Centaur
08-07-12, 01:52 PM
Maybe it won't be Kristy to fall on her sword? I can't see Kristy being allowed to ride two horses if one of the others pulls out?
Are you serious??? I couldn't see Kristy allowed to make a late bid for the Olympics, but she did! Do you really think they 'won't allow' Kristy anything?????
;)

DMM
08-07-12, 02:40 PM
I don’t think any approach to the Minister of Sport or the Sports Commission/Minister would have any effect at all : They are not going to interfere without an investigation and as we know from other investigations, this can take time- lots of it!! – and would be unlikely to be resolved in time to make any difference to the decisions in time for London.

I am curious to know the real reason why the decision was made to select the current team, given that the official reason given by the EA appears to be ‘manufactured’ and goes against the procedure and results.

Why is Kirsty being given these opportunities? Granted she is wealthy – but the fact that all the team members are wealthy is surely irrelevant , unless of course they are using that money to influence the decision, and so far as I know, no one has suggested that.

However I do see the connections mentioned by another poster about the ‘conflict of interest between Mary Hanna whose husband is Chef d'Equipe , and Deb MacNichol as their employee could certainly be seen to be influential in decision making.
All in all it’s not a good situation and seems to indicate an arrogance and disregard for transparency which is hard to accept.

Elvis
08-07-12, 03:02 PM
http://www.efavic.com.au/default.asp?Page=29581

Arrogant....

Linon
08-07-12, 03:02 PM
I don’t think any approach to the Minister of Sport or the Sports Commission/Minister would have any effect at all : They are not going to interfere without an investigation and as we know from other investigations, this can take time- lots of it!! – and would be unlikely to be resolved in time to make any difference to the decisions in time for London.

I am curious to know the real reason why the decision was made to select the current team, given that the official reason given by the EA appears to be ‘manufactured’ and goes against the procedure and results.

Why is Kirsty being given these opportunities? Granted she is wealthy – but the fact that all the team members are wealthy is surely irrelevant , unless of course they are using that money to influence the decision, and so far as I know, no one has suggested that.

However I do see the connections mentioned by another poster about the ‘conflict of interest between Mary Hanna whose husband is Chef d'Equipe , and Deb MacNichol as their employee could certainly be seen to be influential in decision making.
All in all it’s not a good situation and seems to indicate an arrogance and disregard for transparency which is hard to accept.

Hi DMM,

I don't think anyone is game to mention any money changing hands - even if they had the evidence right in front of them!

It reminds me of the old jokes about Rupert Murdoch: he doesn't have to tell his editors what to write. They already know.

Linon
08-07-12, 03:19 PM
From EA:

Statement by Paul Cargill Chairman of EA - Dressage Selection

Sunday, 8 July 2012
Statement by Paul Cargill Chairman of Equestrian Australia

Equestrian Australia (EA) rejects the false and unfounded allegations that have been made in relation to the selection of the Dressage Team chosen to represent Australia at the 2012 London Olympic Games and more particularly, the failure to select Ms Hayley Beresford.

The selection of the Dressage team was referred to an independent Appeals Tribunal and the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), with both appeals dismissed.

“The dismissal of both of Beresford’s appeals necessarily confirmed that the original selections stood and recent performances outcomes are simply not able to be taken into account,” said EA Chairman Paul Cargill.

“EA fully supports its Dressage Team, its selectors and its team officials and stands right behind them.

“We dismiss all allegations made, especially those that are unsourced and are not accompanied by anything other than a personal view of what should have been.

“Ms Beresford has had the opportunity to put her case before two appellate bodies and she has not succeeded with either.

“It is now time for our selected athletes to get on with their job and do their talking where it counts, at Greenwich Park,” said Mr Cargill.

The decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport is final, with the findings to be released in the coming days.

Hairybeasties
08-07-12, 03:31 PM
Check out equestrian australia's facebook page. People are not happy.