PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the fibreglass roof on floats.

carbon
09-07-12, 07:30 PM
I am about to do a maintenance clean of my float roof and was wondering what to use to clean it??

Should I think about polishing it as well?

Also how are people reaching the top safely.

Shapeshifter
09-07-12, 07:54 PM
Use Simple Green, it cleans just about anything. If not engine degreaser will work a treat.

I just use a normal ladder on a flat surface and a long broom.

MMC
09-07-12, 08:18 PM
I use the Gerni from a ladder. :)

missys-girl
09-07-12, 08:56 PM
words cant explain how bad mine was...it was red from some kind of mouldy thing as well as those fungus growths....pressure cleaners are your friend and a small ladder.....mould spray or white viniger...my roof top looks like new....not so much the rest of the float haha thats a work in progress...but go the pressure cleaner...least amount of effort for the most amount of clean!!!

RAB
09-07-12, 09:10 PM
It depends on how serious you are? Pressure wash and detergent will do a reasonable job.

If you want to get it better than original get a figergalss cutting compound from say a boat shop. I am pretty sure it involves HCL acid. You will need to watch it does not get to any metal.

OakyPoke
10-07-12, 01:54 PM
If you want to get it clean right up on top, you can take it to a truckwash. You park it and then climb up on the platform (so the truck/float is now lower than you) and wash from there. There are a few in Sydney. One in Smeaton Grange, one in Chipping Norton that I know of.

screwloose
10-07-12, 03:06 PM
I use sugar soap a semi stiff bristle broom and ladder
The sugar soap also inhibits it growing back so fast. My float was done at Xmas and is definitely the cleanest float in the line!!!! No mould or scum has grown back.

caddy
10-07-12, 03:07 PM
Oakypoke, where is the one in smeaton grange. I found one that charges you for them to wash it in Smeaton Grange but are you talking about one that you can do yourself? That would be awesome.

OakyPoke
11-07-12, 01:58 PM
Caddy I'm useless with street names. If you go from the shops on the opposite side of Narellan Road, cross at the lights, stay straight ahead, go through the round about, follow the corner round then its a couple of hundred meters down from thre on your left.

I've not yet been able to get there. dont tell me they dont let you do it yourself? Hope its not the same one :(