PDA

View Full Version : Otford Valley Farm, Glen Kieri in Helensburgh and Kurnell Boarding Stables - info req

Odessa
15-07-12, 02:34 PM
What do you know about Otford Valley Farm, Glen Kieri in Helensburgh and Kurnell Boarding Stables?

I have searched on google and in old threads but can't find anything recent. I know that kurnell still exists because I've found their website, but no website for otford valley farm or glen kieri, does anyone know if these places have shut down?

When I google, all that comes up are very old entries on cyberhorse (2003) about how bad glen kieri is and how horrible kurnell boarding stables is. But since that was almost 10 years ago, I am hoping that they have changed for the better? anyone know? I've found out from my google research that otford valley farm is okay but they don't seem to have a website, or contact details or anything.

Any current information that you have will be much appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if you can agist horses at sydney international equestrian centre horsley park? or is it just a place that you go to to ride, but no horses are kept there?

thanks!!

moosh
15-07-12, 03:30 PM
Both are still operating. I have heard good things about Otford Valley Farm. Darkes Forest Riding Stables may be another one to look at in that area. I would agist there or OVF if I ever left where I am.

KLB4
15-07-12, 06:50 PM
I have agisted at all 3 before moving out of Sydney 10 years ago.

I worked at Kurnell Boarding Stables through school and uni and it was great for what it was. You would be best to go and have a look and see if it would suit you and your horse. I have no idea who runs it nowdays. The stables were tin sheds with wooden railed yards and the whole place was on a sand hill. For all the horror stories of horses and tin sheds in the many years I was there there were never any stable injuries, not were there any incidents of sand colic. There was great riding out the back and along the beach of Botany Bay, or alternatively head the other direction and ride into Cronulla. I had a ball in my years there. I moved from KBS when I was looking for a more dressage orientated environment.

I agisted at another place in Kurnell which no longer exists prior to moving to Glen Keiri due to the indoor and other facilities. Did not stay long. The day I left so did friends and we took about 10 horses with us. Can pm you if you would like more info.

Moved down the hill to Otford Valley Farm and stayed there for years before leaving Sydney. Would be back there in a shot if I had to return to Sydney. The people running it are still there and they are lovely and extremely knowledgable. I really miss Otford!!!!!! The facilities were great and there is access to plenty of trails on the property if you are that was inclined. My boy was very fit whilst there as his off days from the arena involved trail riding up and down the hills.

Jane_1
15-07-12, 06:59 PM
If Glen Kieri is still owned by the same people I would steer well clear. I think if you search on here you will find some threads explaining why. OVF was great when I was there. DF is also good and I think Andoran (next to DF) may still do agistment.

Bohdi
15-07-12, 07:07 PM
Hi Odessa

I have agisted at Otford Valley Farm, Darkes Forest Riding School, Andoran Stud, ( next door) Kurnell, and a property across the road from Glen Kerri.

Which property would suit you the best, will depend on a number of things, including your budget, each of these properties have very different facilities and agistment costs. Also your discipine and whether they have the facilities to meet your needs. What kind of agistors are already there, if lessons are available and how far you want to be away from your horse and what kind of care is made available.

I am more than happy to provide opinion and advice on any of these properties if you want to PM me

Cheers, Bohdi

KLB4
15-07-12, 07:29 PM
Jane_1 did you own Shredder???? Just wondering if I have right person.

Cybergirl
15-07-12, 08:21 PM
Can you hire the indoor arena at Otford Valley Farm? Anyone know?

Flike
15-07-12, 08:52 PM
KLB4 - Who the heck are you? I to worked at KBS through school etc, and also know Jane.

OP- Kurnell Boarding Stables is now owned by different people then when I was there. They charge through the roof for very run down walk in walk out stable and yard. The arena is pretty good, but i am sure you are not suppose to ride out on the beach these days and so you are limited with riding space. It is a riding school, so it is a busy place. I do have very happy memories from there though. Shannon Omeara is also located at Kurnell and can be contacted through the web.

I was next door to Glen Kerri for ages and have never heard a good thing about them. The indoor arena that they use to have is now full of sheds and private business stuff. There is an outdoor flood lit arena, round yard, paddocks and stables with yards. again agistment is quite costly. No train riding, unless your horse is good out on roads and you can travel fast if seen by rangers in the national park.. lol..

Darks forrest, though never agisted there, I have friends who love it there. they have paddocks, shared paddocks, stables and yard and stables. Trails you can ride on, indoor arena, outdoor arena and round yard. Though it is a school so you have the public to attend with.

Andoran Stud is lovely. but the lady can be quite fickle as I have been told (I have never personally had a problem) You have several rules that include raking the arena and picking up poo after use and a few others. they have yards, stables and paddocks all self feed from memory. Arena is gorgeous, but no trail riding though most do out on the roads.

Otford Valley Farm - would be back there in a heartbeat. Awesome facilities, Awesome friendly, knowledgeable owners/ caretakers. Great feed, paddocks, yards, stables. Indoor and outdoor arena, outdoor jumping arena, 350 acres of bush trails.. It is about $150 a week from memory but haven't been there for about 2.5 years as I am now in Wagga but when I return to Sydney, I will be there in a flash!

If you need anything else.. let me know :)

Flike
15-07-12, 08:54 PM
Cybergirl, you can as an agistee, or an instructor.. but not as a person coming in just for the day/ride...

KLB4
15-07-12, 09:32 PM
Happy to out myself Flike - I am Kim Balfour. (I am hardly hiding behind my sign in anyway as it is my initials! :) )

I worked at KBS for quite a few years, finishing up in 1994 when I went to the Academy. I owned Cassie, a little bay TB mare who I still have. I moved from KBS to Kareena for a few years before venturing to Glen Keiri in 1997 I think. Whilst I was at Glen Keiri Cassie initally stayed in a paddock belonging to Liz Hayes which was on the opposite side of the road to Glen Keiri at the bottom of the dip heading towards the temple.

I wasn't at Glen Keiri very long before moving to OVF, so I would have been at OVF from 1997 till I moved to Albury in 2002. I moved down with Jo, Jill and Sharon as a bulk lot! At OVF I had Cassie in a shared paddock down towards the end of the lane and Motley (Grey ASH dressage horse) stabled overnight. I still miss OVF, but I am still in contact with Bec W (I actually have one of her horses at the moment).

I know CateH and Julie used to be on here quite a bit but I haven't come across them for ages.

Jane_1
15-07-12, 10:09 PM
KLB yes I did, you have the right person. :) He is retired and living in Vic with a friend, I had a sit on him in May, he's 22. I have known who you are for a while (figured it out from various posts.) :)

KLB4
15-07-12, 10:13 PM
I thought I had it right before but had never checked. :)

Odessa
16-07-12, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for your answers.

I went to kurnell boarding stables yesterday to have a look. Like some say, its very run down, they have way too many horses, the grounds are wet and dirty and not very well organised. and yes, all the horses go out together during the day. but it wouldnt take much to get the place looking a lot better. some new boards to fix the fences and stables, and would need to fence-in the outdoor arena and to make it rectangular instead of oval hectagon shape that it is now.

However!!! it had the nicest atmosphere! the kids all looked so happy and the horses looked well looked after. i saw one little cute girl riding a pony across the field, running through puddles and jumping fences, just having the time of her life. I also saw two young girls with one horse, must have been around 12, who had been out on the field and when they were going back to the stables the girl on the ground jumped up on the horse and both of them walked back in the sunshine across the field. it was so nice to see. brought back some nice memories!

It looked like a perfect place for kids to be at and I would love to have my kids riding there! however, not so good for the competative rider.

I also went to Shannon Moerers place which looked great! A bit expensive for not yet having an indoor arena, but nice clean stables, nice paddocks and grounds with two outdoor riding areas, close to trail riding and the beach. and shannon seems really good too. so thats definanly an option for me!

Just wondering if anyone has the websiter for Otford Valley Farm or for Glen Kieri? or a contact number?? I've tried to google but nothing comes up. am I right that Otford farm is not the same as otford valley farm?

Flike
16-07-12, 11:46 AM
Hi, Yes. Kurnell Boarding stables was ALWAYS a happy place for me :) You get use to the weird shaped arena. I am not too sure if the 'proper' arena is still out the back.. But I think the tides took it away.

Otford valley farm can be contacted on 02 4294 2442 and you will need to speak to Shane or Janet Everingham.

Glen Kerri, I am very reluctant to give out the number. Sorry.

Odessa
16-07-12, 12:19 PM
Hi, Yes. Kurnell Boarding stables was ALWAYS a happy place for me :) You get use to the weird shaped arena. I am not too sure if the 'proper' arena is still out the back.. But I think the tides took it away.

Otford valley farm can be contacted on 02 4294 2442 and you will need to speak to Shane or Janet Everingham.

Glen Kerri, I am very reluctant to give out the number. Sorry.

oh you are making me curious now! what happened there that is so bad?

I have tried to search but all I can find is that people have heard from other people that it is bad, but not any examples of what has happened.

yes Kurnell does have another nice outdoor dressage arena out the back which was a rectangular shape with white fence around it and letters out which looked good.

Thanks for the number, I'll give them a call!

Just Archie
16-07-12, 08:56 PM
I would ring Otford Valley Farm. A friend agists there and is very happy and Shane did some training with a little stock horse mare I had and did an excellent job.
As for Glen Keiri - please be careful!

Jane_1
16-07-12, 09:30 PM
Agree, OVF is great, and has the advantage of the indoor, the trails on the property, and Shane, who is an excellent horseman.

-Lex-
18-07-12, 09:23 PM
I have also agisted at Glen Kieri and took my horse away very quickly once he was bullied and abused by the other horses in his paddock and no one even bothered to tell me.
Kurnell BS is a great place for kids however they charge way too much for their facilities.
I kept my horse at Darkes forrest for about 18 months and they were pretty good, just expensive for what I got - my horse is basically a lawn mower these days due to injury. Theres another place in Helensburgh called Cambrey (spelling) left off the roundabout from the southbound hway and right after the plant nursery. I kept my boy there for a few years and they were great.
Im looking at Centennial park now and for what they have they are surprisingly cheap $80 a week for stable and tack room, they also have a more flexible option now for those who need help feeding etc.

Odessa
19-07-12, 12:14 PM
Im looking at Centennial park now and for what they have they are surprisingly cheap $80 a week for stable and tack room, they also have a more flexible option now for those who need help feeding etc.

I am also looking at centennial, it would be the best option for me since i live almost next door. but I wouldnt be able to stand to have my horse inside all day! it would break my heart!

How are you planning on getting your horse to cope with it?

Jane_1
19-07-12, 04:18 PM
I am also looking at centennial, it would be the best option for me since i live almost next door. but I wouldnt be able to stand to have my horse inside all day! it would break my heart!

Some people's horses seem to cope fine with the 24/7 stabling there. Unfortunately mine didn't, even though he had been stabled before. I rode him morning and afternoon and had him handwalked by someone during the day (an additional service you can pay for) but he was never relaxed there. I do know some people who have been there for ages though and whose horses seem fine with it. I'm happier with mine living outdoors with access to shelter.

-Lex-
19-07-12, 08:10 PM

I havent yet bought the horse I plan on stabling there. So Ill have to be pretty picky when it comes to finding the right horse. Hopefully Ill have the option to buy one that has been stabled in a similar situation before.
We'll see i guess

And too the OP, if youre under 25, have you considered the Pony Club in Menai? The have stables there and are relatively cheap. You just have to be a active member of the PC

CateH
05-08-13, 11:34 AM
Hi to Jane and KLB :) Long time no chat! I'll give OVF a big rap for facilities, trails, service and expertise of the managers. I was there for many years and still miss it :)

Brumby
05-08-13, 08:55 PM
if you are on face book, search for Glen Stibbard, he sells horses out of Glen Keriri. I went to his July horse and gear sale, I was not impressed with the b.s told to prospective buyers. I never went to inspect any facilities, so no help there sorry.
Personally I would steer clear,
cheers

Jane_1
05-08-13, 09:18 PM
Hey Cate!!! How the hell are you? Where have you been forever?

CateH
06-08-13, 11:21 AM
Hey Jane :D I've been living in Bungendore area for the last 2 5 years. Been through a divorce and a lot of upheaval, but I've still got the horse, float and 4 WD so it ain't all bad ;) I had to put Storm out former than a year, but now I'm renting a place on 25 acres with the new man and we've got Stormie here plus dogs and chooks :) I'm hoping to get back into the saddle soon as the weather improves And I find a good teacher maybe :) How about you?

Centaur
06-08-13, 12:17 PM
I used to teach at OVF. In fact I used to teach Jane & Cate H. I LOVED it!! Great days!
HI GIRLS!!!!
Cate, Simon Kale teaches at Bungedore every month I think.

CateH
06-08-13, 06:12 PM
Bloody hell Centaur Pm me! So nice to get in touch with old friends :D

CateH
06-08-13, 06:28 PM
Bloody hell Centaur Pm me! So nice to get in touch with old friends :D