PDA

View Full Version : Good hotels in Melbourne

foxni483
18-07-12, 11:40 AM
My parents are going to Melbourne at the start of December this year.

Mum is freaking out about where to stay

Any good places, reasonably priced & not too small
I've been helping her look on tripadvisor etc, but it's not helping her decide ;P

They want a queen bed & at least a couple of lounge type chairs so they can watch tv etc

any ideas much appreciated

Djangoandjacana
18-07-12, 11:53 AM
Ill be staying at the Vibe Savoy in October so can give a report but that might be a bit late for them if they are freaking out now. Have stayed in a couple over on Southbank before which were good. Stayed one in a 5 star and had a bad experience. One not really the hotels fault - someone had drunk a beer then filled it with water, recapped it and put in back in the fridge to avoid paying for it. Clearly they had just done a count and not found it. The other was our room didn't get made up for two days. Yes I was back and forwards to my room (it was a conference) a fair bit but the room next to mine was being cleaned when I left mine empty and still it didn't get done. Most 5 star hotels will leave you a not to say they weren't able to get in and to contact then when the room is free. Anyway sounds like they don't want 5 star anyway so that isn't a concern.

We found staying in the centre of Melbourne city that nothing much around the hotel was open on a Sunday. Better off staying over on Southbank if they are there on the weekend.

Depends on what they want though. Anything on a tram line is really easy to get around and probably better value than the city etc.

Lin2
18-07-12, 12:12 PM
There are stacks of good hotels in Melbourne.

What area do they want to stay in?

foxni483
18-07-12, 12:24 PM
There are stacks of good hotels in Melbourne.

What area do they want to stay in?

Either right in town, or possibly out towards st Kilda

Hazel
18-07-12, 12:45 PM
Ok, so how much do they wish to spend per night? This will be dependant on what they get!

ScottishSazzy
18-07-12, 08:21 PM
Love love love the Blackman, I stay there when I go to Melbourne for work - and never want to leave my room!

acaciaalba
18-07-12, 09:11 PM
foxi,,,why are they going to Melb, and wanting good chairs to watch TV ????
There is so much good stuff to do and see in Melb !
I cant even imagine worrying about TV chairs !!!

Grasshopper
19-07-12, 11:40 PM
Just spent a week in Melbourne for a work conference then extended it for a holiday.

Stayed at Crown Promenade, 4.5 star, about $230 per night, crown entertainment complex is next door, really lovely hotel. Top breakfast, comfortable rooms with lounge, desk. Highly recommended.

We then stayed 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt. Location was great but it was the most underwhelming place I've ever stayed. Payed nearly $500 a night to hear th surrounding rooms showers/toilets running. Rooms were far smaller than crown, and older decor. Oh and breakfast is $40 a pop. Average!!

foxni483
20-07-12, 08:12 AM
foxi,,,why are they going to Melb, and wanting good chairs to watch TV ????
There is so much good stuff to do and see in Melb !
I cant even imagine worrying about TV chairs !!!

They want some room in their room so if they don't go out for a night they don't have to sit on the bed.

I'd say they would want to spend under $150 per night as they're over for 10 nights

Djangoandjacana
20-07-12, 09:34 AM
I had a look at the Blackman (it came with such a recommendation from Scotishsazzy :)) because I am always on the look out for a good "base" when interstate and it looks really nice and was offering long stay packages at a much better rate than the nightly rate.

Djangoandjacana
20-07-12, 09:53 AM
Here you go Foxni this might suit them. A suite at Crown Towers - a mere $27,500 per night

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-feature/height-of-luxury-australias-top-five-hotel-suites-20120719-22cco.html

foxni483
20-07-12, 10:20 AM
Here you go Foxni this might suit them. A suite at Crown Towers - a mere $27,500 per night

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-feature/height-of-luxury-australias-top-five-hotel-suites-20120719-22cco.html

I'll make sure I suggest it!

curlyloc
20-07-12, 04:26 PM
Here you go, $139 per night (I always prefer serviced apartments) :
http://getawaylounge.com.au/getawayoffers/1-night-2-adults-studio-deluxe-apartment-fraser-place-melbourne-july-product?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=

And just gotta say: Bridge Road Richmond shopping!!!!!!!

dante
20-07-12, 08:59 PM
I've stayed at Elwood Sands Motel with my family. Had a family room and it was lovely.
http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W10291&
I think part of its charm was the Fawlty Towers ambiance but the people were terrific. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

acaciaalba
21-07-12, 01:39 AM
dont you know Black anything is naughty now ??
Hayes had to change his horse,s name from Blackman as it was considered racist !!
By Excellent Art and named after Charles Blackman.
So that place has a bad name, Django !! Cant stay there !!
LOL.
We stayed in a place across the road from the theater, just near Chinatown, and it was great !
Cant remember the name !!