PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where to buy.....

Haffyluv
12-09-12, 01:52 PM
Ok so this might be a strange question but does anyone know where i could buy some sort of stuff to make a mold of my horses back? I was looking into plaster strips ect but was unsure if they would stick to the fur..... I'm wanting to make a mold of her back so that i can take it with me when trying saddles :p since i live in the middle of nowhere....

Any ideas on how i go about doing this would be greatly appreciated :)

teen
12-09-12, 02:34 PM
You could still use the strips or plaster of paris and place some glad wrap on her back first- so it doesnt stick OR mould her back with play dough/plasticence (spelling??) and then use that as a mould.
Good luck

tgh05
12-09-12, 03:28 PM
Google the Port Lewis Impression pad

EarsForward
12-09-12, 03:48 PM
Re the impression pad,pm if interested in a make it yourself recipe.

amarok
12-09-12, 05:00 PM
Another idea is to make a pattern from a number of cross sections. You can buy at hardware shops a thing that is basically a bit of bendable wire inside some moldable plastic padding and then you can use it to create a replica of the top line and across ways every inch or so along the back. Copy each one to a piece of cardboard and you can make a 3d replica. I did this for a saddler once, very easy to make and to post!

Haffyluv
13-09-12, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I think i'm going to have a go with the plaster bandages and plaster of paris and see how it goes. They use it for human lifeforms so if i put enough vasiline one i'm hoping it won't stick :)

teetee
13-09-12, 11:44 AM
I'd probably use cloth or plastic wrap to stop it sticking as Vaseline is very hard to wash out and it burns in the sun so I'd avoid using that if you can.

G Dog
13-09-12, 11:47 AM
Plaster is fine.BUT put down glad wrap first!!!!!!!! Plaster will stick like you know what to a blanket.

ksm77
13-09-12, 12:45 PM
Get a whole roll of glad wrap and just wrap it around your mare, from around the base of her neck, over the whither, round her belly, over her back etc... otherwise you'll be fighting to keep smaller bits of plastic in place. Could be a messy process - but sounds like fun :)

Toriadore
13-09-12, 01:23 PM
This is fascinating! I want pics of each step of the process please?! :)

Haffyluv
13-09-12, 02:18 PM
Yep I was thinking of doing the glad wrap around and around her :D or maybe over her rug....will have to see how it will work. The hard part will be trying to get it onto the plane to take with me.....people may think i'm a little crazy :rolleyes:

will update with photos of me and her covered in plaster ;)

horsesRgr8
13-09-12, 09:33 PM
i've never done this...but what about getting a piece of fibreglass matting, lay it over the area ( plastic wrap on back first) brush on the resin and it should harden and take the form of the area...?

NikJ
13-09-12, 09:52 PM
Yep I was thinking of doing the glad wrap around and around her :D or maybe over her rug....will have to see how it will work. The hard part will be trying to get it onto the plane to take with me.....people may think i'm a little crazy :rolleyes:

will update with photos of me and her covered in plaster ;)

Before putting the glad wrap on (please get someone to video..) pop on lots of mayo and her coat will look wonderful when finished ;)

I am teasing, good luck and please give feedback.

storm horse
13-09-12, 11:37 PM
http://www.equimeasure.com/

there was an OZ saddler that used to sell these. can't remember who it was, but i'm sure he was from vic. might be worth while with the good exchange rate.

sharyn
14-09-12, 08:17 AM
I think Peter Horobin uses a product similar to that for saddle fits.

Haffyluv
14-09-12, 05:39 PM
Before putting the glad wrap on (please get someone to video..) pop on lots of mayo and her coat will look wonderful when finished ;)

I am teasing, good luck and please give feedback.

Arh a good thought but then what would i do with a horse with only half her coat shiny :p

Ok so i have all the supplies....plaster bandages, plaster of paris, glad wrap and vasiline....so off to experiment tomorrow :)