PDA

View Full Version : Definition of 'Timewaster'

Bad Bones
18-02-13, 10:51 AM
I regularly browse the 'for sales' and I don't know about anyone else but as soon as I see the words "no timewasters' or ' no tire kickers', I automatically think I wouldn't bother calling about that one.

It really irritates me seeing those words.
I never use them myself but I do make sure I put all pertinant informationa bout the horse in the ad.

But 9 times out of 10 you see those words at the end of an ad that doesn't tell you all the things you need to know.

eg the add doesn't mention either colour or age or height (or all 3).
Or doesn't mention breeding or rego number but states horse is reg'd.
Or worst of all an ad that says how beautiful the horse is but doesn't include any photos at all.......

If I were to phone up to get the relevent info & then decided I wasn't interested, would that make me a 'timewaster'?
I wouldn't think so myself but no doubt the seller probably would so I never enquire up about anything that has those words included in the ad.

BB

Cannondale
18-02-13, 11:03 AM
In my mind the definition of "time waster" is someone who doesn't have a clear idea of what they are after and/or is not ready to buy yet.

I would also like to add terms such as "no dreamers, no chancers, no teenagers who do not have approval from Mum and Dad to buy, no hagglers, no self appointed legends, no know-it-alls and above all no clowns."

I also don't send additional photos. If you cant tell by the 6 photos on the ad and the video link, I'm guessing you won't be able to make your mind up with another 6 as well.

Horsegears
18-02-13, 11:23 AM
If you go shopping and take your goods to the counter only to wait until you're told the cost before opening your hand bag to search for your purse etc, you're a time waster!

ShoeMan
18-02-13, 11:23 AM
No self appointed legends?

Well there goes 3/4 of your marketplace! :p

kait21
18-02-13, 11:28 AM
A timewaster IMO is someone who is not ready to buy or committed to buying because of funds, husbands approval etc, but they ring, request more info and even come to see the horse with no intention of carrying through with the sale.

I've recently travelled interstate to look at horses, and also purchased a couple of horses interstate sight unseen. Unless it's a very well done online ad, most ads, online or in HD only have 2 photos and I ALWAYS seem to need more pics and a video before I either fly down or purchase sight unseen. Usually the ads show the horse doing ridden things and a pic of his face, but I like to see a conformation shot without the saddle, boots etc, and also a pic of the legs showing hooves.

Having said that, I've got a horse for sale and the vide is about 7 minutes long and shows the horse doing everything he is currently capable of. I have people ask for another video to see more of the horse..... I think if after 7 minutes of seeing the horse do everything you aren't sure, then he most likely isn't the horse for you! I have given the link to another older 5 min video and they still want more!!

zak
18-02-13, 12:12 PM
@Cannondale, I am with ShoeMan... No self Apointed Legends??? No Know It Alls??? and No Clows??? Who on Earth are you selling to, that rules out just about everyone I know...

LisaL
18-02-13, 12:25 PM
How on earth do the no timewaster people shop? Shop for houses? For clothes? Etc. Who are these mythical beings that buy the first house they look at, the first piece of clothing they see in a advert? The first anything really.

I think the people who use the term timewaster really need to have a good hard look at how they shop and then realise that they are dreaming if the first to see will buy.

Bats_79
18-02-13, 12:34 PM
I don't say "no" anythings. I give my time and attention to everyone who calls, emails or messages me. I also (usually) say that I get some many enquiries from people who have no intention of buying that I sometimes get behind or get mixed up.

What I hate is people who make a vague enquiry and when you question them further about what they want they then say "just tell me what you've got". Well no thanks, if you don't even have a general idea of what you want then why should I waste my time telling you about what you might not really want. :(

So I believe that buyers AND sellers need to be realistic about what they want and what they will pay for it.

skymare
18-02-13, 12:41 PM
I had an enquiry about my colt recently and she stated in an email that she didn't want to seem a time waster. I replied that purchasing a colt (for stud) is a big investment and should not be taken lightly and that she was not wasting my time.
Im my mind a timewaster is someone who was never going to buy said horse or can't make up their mind and string you along to the point you tell other prospective buyers your horse is sold or put a deposit down and then change their minds (probably because they realized they didn't have the money afterall). I too am getting sick of seeing it everywhere and it would put me off calling about said horse too. I reserve the right to decide that the horse is not for me without being labelled a timewaster.

melly90
18-02-13, 02:36 PM
I remember when trying to find my first horse, came across an add of a horse I liked. Was a pinto gelding, something like $1500 ONO. Excited and naive I prompty called owners.

Not holding back my excitedness as he sounded perfect (not just looked pretty, sounded nice, but I think they were lying upon reflection on that too). At the end of a decent conversation I ask, hey, I have to get him up here, how negotiable is his price?

They said not negotiable at all price is firm! Oh I say, it says or near offer on the add.

A quick good-bye. I check the add later, price is now firm and add now includes 'NO TIME WASTERS'

I would have taken that horse too. Oh well, ended up with a dream horse.

thejoth
18-02-13, 03:07 PM
the term is a seller's lament. if you want to sell something, you have to deal with potential purchasers, end of story.

and besides it is a waste of time saying it, tyre kickers/timewasters like narcissists are the last people to see their behaviour as a problem.

LirioJaguar
18-02-13, 03:25 PM
I agree, thejoth. You never know when someone coming out on a whim decides they NEED to have your horse because they just hit it off!
I told a seller the other week that I'd stop short of arranging to meet her horse unless she couldn't find a buyer and could think of an alternative arrangement, after describing the home the horse would have and my intentions for him. She contacted me the following week and made me a very, very cool offer. And there I thought I'd been wasting her time drooling over her yearling ;)

Leahrydeary
18-02-13, 03:38 PM
The last time i sold a horse, I sent videos etc of him - very quiet safe all rounder show galloway - all over Australia, and then got no response back, no acknowledgment at all from any of them.
I had people lose interest in him when i said on the phone he'll never be a royal champion even though I had basically stated that in so many words in the ad. Just because he placed at 2 royals doesn't mean he's got champion potential, just means most of the others were off their faces and he went round nice and safe... And he was only priced at $7500.... not exactly a top show horse price. If you want a potential royal show champion, please be prepared to spend more than $7500!!!!
But I did sell the horse to the first caller who also managed to come and look at and ride the horse in person. She came with her deposit clutched in her hot little hands! And she wasn't a showie....

lalique
18-02-13, 04:22 PM
After having to deal with "time wasters" and "tyre kickers" I dont have any problem with an add stating the sellers dont want their time and effort wasted.

The internet is a wonderful tool, but it also means that there is a huge amount of deception- 12yo kids responding to ads and asking for all sorts of info and for photos/videos etc, sticky beaks who want to know the price of a well known horse or to see its video etc etc- none of whom have any intention of ever buying the hrose- these are time wasters

If an add sounds promising and you feel the horse might suit you (and you have the money ready to go) then no question is silly and no amount of questions are a nuisance. Actually it is worse if not many questions are asked and the buyer wants to ride without making any realy effort to see if the horse will genuinely suit them!

AppyGoLucky
18-02-13, 04:43 PM
The number one thing that annoys me is when sellers don't put the price on their ad, or say 'POA'. And then say no timewasters.

Jcr
18-02-13, 08:47 PM
I have been put off by the "No Timewasters" in ads; also the POA. I've been looking for a horse for my daughter and want videos, to talk about the horse and finally to go and see the horse. If the initial phone call isn't satisfactory, I feel I'm a timewaster - it just turns me off making the initial contact.

I have had sellers refuse to send me videos - they insist I must go to them to see the horse - they don't seem to appreciate it when I tell them I want to see if the horse is what I want in order to make my expense of flying interstate (or whatever) worthwhile!
As for POA I feel, rightly or wrongly that it puts the horse out of my budget.
So I won't waste my time following up on the ad.

Bookra
18-02-13, 09:07 PM
Anyone who doesn't buy your horse.

I think it is a ridiculous thing to put in an ad as it obviously puts off prospective buyers, whereas surely the whole point of advertising is to attract buyers.

tiernanock
18-02-13, 10:26 PM
dont usse it or like it!!

but my top 10 timewaster recently was the woman who emailed made an offer on the horse it was accepted no money shows up when asked point blank do you want her or not due to other intrest said "oh i need to ask my husband havent even shown him yet" then got the dirts when the horse sold!! to me you NEVER make an offer unless you have the money and are ready to buy id sure as hell discuss and show a horse to my hubby before i even made contact with a seller

LindaH
18-02-13, 10:40 PM
I love the ones who reeeaaalllly want to buy the horse, they "just have to wait untill they sell their horse first"! So i'll just keep feeding, rugging and working the horse untill you get your stuff sorted out then will I? Or the ones who want the yearling, but can they just pick it up after it is broken in and going. Sure, i'll care for it for another 2-3 years, get it broken in and going for you for free, NOT!!!

Bats_79
19-02-13, 10:06 AM
I agree, thejoth. You never know when someone coming out on a whim decides they NEED to have your horse because they just hit it off!
I told a seller the other week that I'd stop short of arranging to meet her horse unless she couldn't find a buyer and could think of an alternative arrangement, after describing the home the horse would have and my intentions for him. She contacted me the following week and made me a very, very cool offer. And there I thought I'd been wasting her time drooling over her yearling ;)

Why didn't you buy the horse at the time? Was it outside your budget or where you just hoping they couldn't sell or was it a bad time?

EG - I recently had someone pull out of a sale because they were terrified that they would lose a new horse in fires. I can't say that I agreed that they were more likely to lose the new horse over their other horses but I could certainly relate to their fear with the conditions around here. They have just decided to put off purchasing for a few more months.

thejoth
19-02-13, 11:14 AM
if you offer a horse for sale for 20k (your opinion of its price). I view the horse and decide it is worth 1/2 that (my opinion).

it is every sellers job to get the best price and every purchasers objective to get the lowest one.

oh and bats, that is the lamest excuse I've heard in ages. she isn't going to buy your horse ever. that to me is time wasting.

wtk
19-02-13, 12:51 PM
I have a friend who is a classic tyre kicker and time waster, she would have 100's of photos and videos of horses that she has no intention of buying. If set a task to ring one horse out of HD she will end up ringing about 50 all over Australia!! I was mortified when I saw a list once of horses and comments from owners, all of which were not suitable to her needs.

So it is people like her that these ads are aimed at.

Bats_79
19-02-13, 03:22 PM
Not necessarily Joth - they have evacuated 5 times in the past two months. Worry worts or not, that's the type of excuse I can live with. :)

LirioJaguar
19-02-13, 06:52 PM
Bats, I'm not in a position for the whole outlay but can offer a great home and installments, so we've ended up in a Lease to Buy scenario that's yet to be finalised. I'm getting a vet check this week. She needs him moved on, much to her own discontent (but life is life) and no-one else came forward with offers. I just let her know that I was open to alternative arrangements. I don't think I'm wasting her time ;)

Bad Bones
19-02-13, 07:09 PM
Oh and we should not forget the sellers who are timewasters.
I'm sure a few here remember my angst several years ago, after countless long drives to look at horses that were totally not suitable. After extensive phone or email discussion with sellers who assured me that the horses were just what I was looking for.....
eg the one we drove over 5 hours to view. Having been assured that he'd been out & about. Lots of trail rides, cattle work a few shows. Was responsive to ride with a good stop & turn........
And turned out to have no mouth whatsoever and couldn't canter to save himeself as well as having huge cysts in both nostrils!!! (of which no mention was ever made in email or phane conversation!!)
Or another that we drove 2 hours to see (taking float & money with us 'just in case') only to find that the horse was profoundly lame!! (actually we've done that twice - 2nd time just recently & was a 3 hour trip each way!!)
And so on & so on.

Timewasting goes both ways. But IMO when I'm a buyer wasting my time costs me a lot more money than it does when I am selling.

BB

Bats_79
19-02-13, 08:23 PM
Bats, I'm not in a position for the whole outlay but can offer a great home and installments, so we've ended up in a Lease to Buy scenario that's yet to be finalised. I'm getting a vet check this week. She needs him moved on, much to her own discontent (but life is life) and no-one else came forward with offers. I just let her know that I was open to alternative arrangements. I don't think I'm wasting her time ;)

Awesome result. :)

thejoth
19-02-13, 08:31 PM
I stand corrected.

LindaH
19-02-13, 10:21 PM
Not much you can do about lame. We've had one get kicked in the knee by a paddock mate literally minutes before prospective buyers arrived after a 5 hr trip. Too late to call them and put them off for a fortnight. They arrived to see a youngster with a blown up knee pointing a front foot :mad:.

Bad Bones
20-02-13, 07:23 AM
Not much you can do about lame. We've had one get kicked in the knee by a paddock mate literally minutes before prospective buyers arrived after a 5 hr trip. Too late to call them and put them off for a fortnight. They arrived to see a youngster with a blown up knee pointing a front foot :mad:.

Yes Linda I can understand that one but in the 2 cases I looked at 1 had chronic laminitis & the other had an old injury......... both sellers knew I was looking for a sound riding horse.

BB