PDA

View Full Version : Worst recipes EVER

skymare
16-04-13, 08:10 PM
Post yours. Missygirl shared this one with me. I will add in her defence for a laugh not cause she wants to make it.

http://www.recipelion.com/Casserole-Recipes/Cowboy-Casserole/ct/1#

There will be a pop up sign in thingy just close it top left corner.

I personally have heard of salads made with Marshmallows. That's from the 'deep' south of Nth America. Where I suspect many of the world's worst recipes derive.

missys-girl
16-04-13, 08:17 PM
i so laughed haha, marshmellows, who comes up with that...the last bit made me chuckle so much haha

cbrown
16-04-13, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDlIVvT9yxo

skymare
16-04-13, 08:50 PM
Oh god, cbrown, that's almost depressing. holy moly. We don't really need a youtube for it either.

k123
16-04-13, 08:54 PM
had someone make a quiche I think it was, with one of those shake and bake piklet mixes. Lets say it was as inedible as it sounds! Who in their right mind would use sweet cake ingredients in a savoury dish. It was a 'proper' recipe book too.

missys-girl
16-04-13, 08:59 PM
oh god lol...thats a recipe?...its a can and a microwave, there is no cooking, thats so funny, but...sad haha

OMG hahaha this thread will be hilarious, shake and bake piklet for a quiche

Linon
16-04-13, 09:02 PM
No one, absolutely no one from an place on earth, can do to food what the Americans can.

I lived there for 8 months, and just about came back anorexic. Even their chocolate is vile.

!!!

Linon
16-04-13, 09:06 PM
No one, absolutely no one from an place on earth, can do to food what the Americans can.

I lived there for 8 months, and just about came back anorexic. Even their chocolate is vile.

!!!

Mystery~Bay
16-04-13, 09:11 PM
Haha this is hilarious!!!! Im visiting my brothers at the moment and I just had a flick through one of those "4ingredients" books and there was a recipe for a starter involving microwaving a wheel of Brie cheese with strawberry jam and almonds on top. What a travesty. Along with most of the rest of the book!

missys-girl
16-04-13, 09:15 PM
bit like the canned cheese they have...just boggles the mind...i dont think they know what natural is, and if they ate fresh food the body would go in shock!

skymare
16-04-13, 09:32 PM
Linon, I've been to america too and I was excited to try Hersheys as id seen ti on american tv and it was raved about. Well pffft. it was so sweet and boring. I couldn't have cared less about a chocolate.
their orange cheese is confronting.

jumpingjack
17-04-13, 12:57 AM
Ok, not really recipes however, the food here in the USA is pretty funny. Here are some of the things I've seen in the past 18months;

Starting with catfood;
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo_zpsf0ec27d5.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo_zpsf0ec27d5.jpg.html)
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo1_zpsf50a2729.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo1_zpsf50a2729.jpg.html)

Sugary goodness in our small supermarket
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo6_zps144596d7.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo6_zps144596d7.jpg.html)

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo4_zps2b39d6b4.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo4_zps2b39d6b4.jpg.html)

jumpingjack
17-04-13, 12:58 AM
Continued....

Great sign
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo7_zpsdffd93da.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo7_zpsdffd93da.jpg.html)

In Walmart
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo5_zps4031b4d1.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo5_zps4031b4d1.jpg.html)

Now for the good stuff - popsicles!!
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/NYCjumpingjack/photo3_zpsa65d458a.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/NYCjumpingjack/media/photo3_zpsa65d458a.jpg.html)

It's taken a while, but I've managed to find places in Manhattan to buy great groceries (Wholefoods is my saviour). Prior to this I was going to three different supermarkets just to get the basics. I also bake my own bread now as I cant consistently find good quality, non sugary bread. I miss Woolies and Coles (and I never thought I would say that)....

thejoth
17-04-13, 08:10 AM
wholefoods is fantastic.

and if in nyc dean and deluca is great for ready made stuff

but yes, the land of orange cheese and giant fruit!

Speckled Potato
17-04-13, 11:27 AM
I may or may not have done a version of that one night when we went through a really bad money patch. It was a shredded BBQ chook, a can of cream of chicken soup, some frozen vegies and a bag of potato gems. I mixed the chook, soup and frozen vegies together and then topped it with the potato gems. It may read as gross and appear less than nutritionally sound(and I am now a practising Nutritionist lol) but there was none left and the kids fought over who got to scrape out the crunchy bits from the dish lol

At that stage I didn't care what it looked or tasted like. All I cared about was the kids being fed. And there was often times when DH and I shared dinner as there wasn't always enough for us. The priority was the kids.

thejoth
17-04-13, 11:49 AM
I can't see how processed food could be as cheap and nutritious as whole cooked food?

but that might just be me...

skymare
17-04-13, 12:11 PM
I have to agree with joth. you had the whole chicken, you had the vegies. potatoes are cheap. roast them or boil them up and then you had a proper family meal.
and yes i know alllll about scraping by. trust me. i've gone with out meals before.

jumpingjack. it's astonishing how much sugar there is in everything over there. i was blown away by the cereal aisles. no healthy options to the place i visited. i was bug eyed.
we are pretty lucky here that we have access to fresh fruit and veg all year round. and that we don't have a culture of processed foods. imagine trying to eat healthy in some places in the world. a real task.

vixen
17-04-13, 01:42 PM
It's not just the "food",it's the size of the portions,every thing can be "upsized"and usually comes with 3 scoops of icecream.We have a photo of breakfast, eggs,bacon,hashbrowns,beans,toast ,pancakes,maple syrup and icecream all on one plate!!

missys-girl
17-04-13, 02:25 PM
what the...who has a breakfast like that!!

I remember when i first tried Hersheys, i expected great things as well......i must confess, the peanut butter cups were not too bad, but, only if they are not same branded knock offs, ones i got from aldi ones, meant to be proper brand, were very much not like the others i tried....but amazes me too how much sugar they have in shit

Noah'sArk
17-04-13, 02:51 PM
First meal I ever had over there, courtesy of my ex MIL, was tinned beef stew reheated with instant Deb mashed potato, served with yellow pineapple jello and Caesar salad and gravy oh and a white bread roll - all on the same plate, all oozing into one another.

I still feel sick 25 odd years later remembering that particular gastronomic epic...

Speckled Potato
17-04-13, 04:28 PM
Such ass - sumptions lol

The only part of that meal that was bought as is was the soup. The chook was home grown and then BBQ'd, the frozen vegies were from the garden the year before(blanched and then frozen) and the potato "gems" were my own version that I make ahead from potatoes from my garden(again frozen uncooked). The only reason the soup got used was because I found it at the back of the cupboard after I'd used everything in front of it.

vixen
17-04-13, 05:31 PM
.We have a photo of breakfast, eggs,bacon,hashbrowns,beans,toast ,pancakes,maple syrup and icecream all on one plate!!
I forgot the "whipped cream",that awful squirty stuff in a aerosol can.

skymare
17-04-13, 05:40 PM
Such ass - sumptions lol

The only part of that meal that was bought as is was the soup. The chook was home grown and then BBQ'd, the frozen vegies were from the garden the year before(blanched and then frozen) and the potato "gems" were my own version that I make ahead from potatoes from my garden(again frozen uncooked). The only reason the soup got used was because I found it at the back of the cupboard after I'd used everything in front of it.

oh don't be such a child about it. you wrote that post and you knew how it looked. why on earth would you ruin a perfectly good homegrown chook and veg with a can of soup?

skymare
17-04-13, 05:43 PM
oh god jelly with beef stew and ice cream with bacon and eggs. WTF?

missys-girl
17-04-13, 06:22 PM
i agree, you left out all that and would know how it appeared so you cant complain.

I was camping and did try bacon and maple syrup, real maple, not the fake stuff, and i have to say it is not too bad, i was rather shocked

Noah'sArk
17-04-13, 06:26 PM
oh don't be such a child about it. you wrote that post and you knew how it looked. why on earth would you ruin a perfectly good homegrown chook and veg with a can of soup?

Puff Puff - wait for me Skymare I'm puffed out from all this back Pedalling ;)

Speckled Potato
17-04-13, 06:34 PM
Right....

So the thread was about "worst recipes ever" and I said that I had made something similar with what I had at the time and I get jumped on because I supposedly "ruined a good chook and vegies"? Anyone with half a brain would realised it was leftovers and what I could scrounge up at the time. But let's not let that get in the way of actually reading what I wrote now will you :rolleyes:

Noah'sArk
17-04-13, 06:40 PM
Don't worry about it - we're only pulling your leg.

You sound like a lovely mum to me (and dad) going without for the sake of the kids.

Bloody hell - Emmi had pancakes last week for dinner!!!

Xxx

thejoth
17-04-13, 08:00 PM
achewly spotty potato person if you look at the words you used they include canned good and brand name processed food. so sorry for not magically knowing you strive to reproduce such delights as something called a gem!

what was obvious to you, was not so to others. soups can make wonderful bases, but best to make it yourself, don't you think? it was at the back of the cupboard for a reason.

AppyGoLucky
17-04-13, 08:03 PM
I've had bacon and maple syrup on pancakes -- actually not bad.

I used to be a fan of peanut paste and jam or honey on toast as well, haven't had that for a looooong time.

Noah'sArk
17-04-13, 08:03 PM
achewly spotty potato person if you look at the words you used they include canned good and brand name processed food. so sorry for not magically knowing you strive to reproduce such delights as something called a gem!

what was obvious to you, was not so to others. soups can make wonderful bases, but best to make it yourself, don't you think? it was at the back of the cupboard for a reason.

Ooh stop it - now I've got the giggles again.

thejoth - you are a gem....a potato gem....

Hazel
17-04-13, 09:55 PM
Spent 6 weeks in America a few months ago, shopping for food was a real eye opener over there!

The irradescent orange cheese was weird! I also thought I had struck gold when I found a box of Special K only to be disappointed upon opening that it was not the same as ours! It was sugary and vile cardboard, yes ours is cardboard like as well, but I am used to our texture and taste!

Everything is in a packet, finding everyday fresh fruit and veg in some places was extremely difficult.

We found a Kroger supermarket (thank god) in Nashville that saved us, as it had a fruit and veg section.

So much pre made meals wherever you go, like a bakery or sandwich shop or diner, so much pre made meals, we struggled to just get a sandwich with a selection of our own choosing, you could only select what is already made up in there window..so much is served on paper plates, even at a lot of sit down restaurants, which I found weird.

Anyway, still loved US, but jeez, food was certainly "interesting"!

ShoeMan
17-04-13, 10:24 PM
Spent 6 weeks in America a few months ago, shopping for food was a real eye opener over there!

The irradescent orange cheese was weird!

I spent my first 11 years of life in the US, Because of that iridescent orange cheese, I had an aversion to any sort of cheese for the following two decades (thankfully resolved :) ). But to this day, due to an incident in kindergarten, I can't even look at macaroni 'n cheese, or anything remotely orange in colour LOL

Anyway, still loved US, but jeez, food was certainly "interesting"!

Mmmm yes, Everything is soooooo sickly sweet... yuck.

I do have fond memories of pumpkin pie however :) <ETA> Curiously, the only thing "orange" I can eat :p

skymare
17-04-13, 11:00 PM
oh now Pumpkin pie I like. And pumpkin spiced muffins. chilli fries. there were lots of food I did like over there. peanut butter ice cream. saddens me we don't have that here.

pilchybabe
17-04-13, 11:16 PM
oh now Pumpkin pie I like. And pumpkin spiced muffins. chilli fries. there were lots of food I did like over there. peanut butter ice cream. saddens me we don't have that here.

Baskin Robbins has peanut butter ice cream.. It may not even be remotely close to the American stuff but it's delicious anyway!

Norbit
17-04-13, 11:33 PM

cbrown
18-04-13, 09:10 AM
Oh Norbit those chips sounds sort of disgustingly attractive.

I was obese a year or so ago and I think partly because I kept re-creating this thing I bought at a fruit and vegie market stall. The original was a piece of dough stretched out to the size of a small thick pizza and deep fried until puffy and chewy/crispy. It was then brushed with garlic butter and served with sour cream, hot chilli sauce and grated cheese. I was kind of awful/awesome and the markets were a Sunday morning so I would go hungover and get one of these.

THEN I started making my own version by baking the bread in the oven and then layering on the sat fats LOL. I've anyone wants to 'bulk up' or narrow their arteries a bit, I'm happy to oblige with the recipe :D

Linon
18-04-13, 09:31 AM
Next time I go to the US, I'm going to fatten up for the trip. I lost about 10 kgs (at least) last time I was there.

Seriously, if you are a bit overweight, go to the US. It will either kill you quicker, or save your life.

:)

skymare
18-04-13, 11:26 AM
Baskin Robbins has peanut butter ice cream.. It may not even be remotely close to the American stuff but it's delicious anyway!

The last time I saw a Baskin&Robbins I worked there and it was twenty years ago. Didn't have peanut then. I have found a place that sells Ben&Jerry BUT they don't stock all the flavours and some of them are a bit 'interesting'. Maybe I should be making demands. I loved PB ice cream the one time I tried it.

Linon I actually lost weight over there, but that's because I was living on the streets after losing all my possessions. I was forced to eat some rather dodgy food from homeless shelters. But one of the delights was a bag of day old donuts delivered from a local donut store to the shelter line-up. big sack of donuts you just dug your arm into and hoped it hadn't grazed the hand of the smelly guy in front of you. Hey when you're starving it's a great treat!

Oh I nearly forgot a worst recipe experience right here. Visited some people on a farm who were friends of my friends. we were passing on through to the Sydney Olympics. stayed the night. was given dinner of casserole. ehem. it consisted of dried up pieces of beef in a sauce made using arrowrrot. this created a gelatinous sticky substance that when you touched with your hands stuck to your fingers a stretched several centemetres. it actually made me convulse when i touched it. on the side was a lonely piece of plain old cauliflower. i rarely eat at other people's homes now. you can blame that experience. oh and then in the morning i got sauasge on toast, yay. nope. the sausage was boiled not fried. took me AN HOUR to eat the damn thing. it was torture. and the top it off the toast was served with margarine. *vomits* worst cooks EVER. i gotta wonder where some people get their tastebuds from. do they scrape them off a sidewalk in Carlylse (sp?) st, St Kilda? (where junkie prostitutes work) I mean it's not hard to make good food. but it is hard to make it taste like shit. consistently. i mean unless you have utterly no knowledge of food and since people eat food three times a day how the f#$^ do so many people go through life not knowing how to make something taste edible?