PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhhhh Brumbies!!

Reata
29-04-13, 11:44 AM
We took the ponies up to the river (Murray) last weekend for some camping, riding and maybe some Brumby spotting. We had a great time..
We were riding out on a bit of a clear area near a creek and found lots of evidence of the wild ponies so we thought we would go into the trees and ride along the creek for a ways and maybe see some. There was a clear area on the other side of the creek and we spotted a mob. As we watched them in the distance they started to slowly move towards us. Then they gathered a bit of speed and they were coming straight for us. Something had frightened them from behind. They got closer and closer and we were watching them from behind some trees. They got to the creek and jumped in and crossed right in front of us. A chestnut mare leading the way. About 12 mares and 5-6 foals, one pretty little chestnut foal, and a dark bay stallion bringing up the rear. WOW!!! what a sight!! Our horses hearts were beating almost as much as ours. So close and they never saw us.. they all crossed the creek and went behind us, still in the cover of the trees and then went out into the clear area where they motored along kicking up a huge cloud of dust as they headed out of sight.
Wow Wow Wow!!! what a experience..AND I had forgotten my camera!!! I would have had all the time in the world for some great shots..:mad:
I have seen lots of bachelor groups and fleeting glimpses of herds but never so close and with a spectacular creek crossing..The foals almost had to swim...They were all wet and shinny out the other side..They looked great!!
It was a fun weekend!!! :)

edelle
29-04-13, 12:46 PM
Definately one of those WOW moments :)

We came across a herd of brumbies up on the Bogong High Plains last summer. We came up over a rise and there they were. We all stood there looking at each other until they quietly wandered off. We were able to get photos. Definately one of those magic trail riding moments never to be forgotten

cbrown
29-04-13, 12:59 PM
OH brilliant! That would have made my weekend. What a lovely thing to share. Thanks

teetee
29-04-13, 01:05 PM
That is very cool! :) I love having the camera on my phone for things like that but sometimes you miss the moment trying to get the shot lol

Jcr
29-04-13, 09:07 PM
What a wonderful experience. I envy you.