PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of ferals. :( Dogs that is.....

MMC
06-01-14, 12:02 PM
This is just one of the many feral dogs roaming out area, ripping my little calfies apart. :( This photo was taken by a camouflaged motion sensing camera. We would never get this close otherwise. There is also a big German Shepard type with big pups in the area too. :( I am so angry.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp34/MMCHorses/IMAG0581_zps91dae5d9.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/MMCHorses/media/IMAG0581_zps91dae5d9.jpg.html)

teetee
06-01-14, 12:10 PM
What's your property size MMC? There is a bloke at my work who hunts feral dogs I got his details to pass on to you, not a yahoo at all quite a sensible bloke. I think you are on my FB list? If you are send me a message there i will send them through to you.

I can also make some enquiries to an LGD breeder if you are interested?

Samsdonks
06-01-14, 12:20 PM
Mmc where are you located? As I maybe wrong but that dog looks very much like a dingo.

Rosinante
06-01-14, 12:23 PM
Mmc where are you located? As I maybe wrong but that dog looks very much like a dingo.

That's what I thought too

md
06-01-14, 12:30 PM
Looks very dingo like to me, where we were in QLD had dingo's, saw one the first day we moved in, the property had been empty for some time so very likely he felt safe, there were many dingo's in the hills surrounding us as well.

MMC
06-01-14, 12:42 PM
What's your property size MMC? There is a bloke at my work who hunts feral dogs I got his details to pass on to you, not a yahoo at all quite a sensible bloke. I think you are on my FB list? If you are send me a message there i will send them through to you.

I can also make some enquiries to an LGD breeder if you are interested?

I have sent you a message on Facebook. :)

What is a LGD??

MMC
06-01-14, 12:46 PM

South of Toowoomba in Qld. It's the most Dingo like that I have seen. Another we saw looked to have a lot of German Shepard. The most recent one looked all German Shepard.

Theses are not domesticated dogs, they are very quick to bolt if they see a human or even a car. On the other hand, if they are trapped, they are VERY aggressive.

Samsdonks
06-01-14, 01:00 PM
I would say dingo then if qld

teetee
06-01-14, 01:05 PM
I have sent you a message on Facebook. :)

What is a LGD??

Cool thanks got your message and replied.

For those playing at home an LGD is a livestock guardian dog, I'm going to find out a bit more about them so I will post in another thread if people are interested. :)

skymare
06-01-14, 01:18 PM
I wanted a South East Asian Ovcharka a few years back. Because of their isolation and the way they are bred to work they are not over bred and don't suffer a plethora of medical conditions that just about every other breed does now.

shaiarabs
06-01-14, 02:28 PM
While visually the dog looks dingo if you DNA it, it won't be dingo it will be mostly dog

MMC
06-01-14, 02:39 PM
While visually the dog looks dingo if you DNA it, it won't be dingo it will be mostly dog

I agree. There are so many ferals around here there is no way that dog is pure. I think Fraser Island have the only pure Dingos left.

teetee
06-01-14, 02:40 PM
I wanted a South East Asian Ovcharka a few years back. Because of their isolation and the way they are bred to work they are not over bred and don't suffer a plethora of medical conditions that just about every other breed does now.

Yes I've messaged a friend who has central Asian shepherds to find out a bit more about their use on cattle properties so hopefully I will find out more, yes the breeders of these dogs are extremely careful about breeding and placing them as they are still a working breed.

True when many dogs revert back to a wild type they follow a regional trend appearance wise over generations and so in the South Asia/pacific region the proto dog form is a medium to large sandy coloured dog with a lean frame, so while phenotypically many wild dogs look similar they often have different origins.

MMC
06-01-14, 02:51 PM
True when many dogs revert back to a wild type they follow a regional trend appearance wise over generations and so in the South Asia/pacific region the proto dog form is a medium to large sandy coloured dog with a lean frame, so while phenotypically many wild dogs look similar they often have different origins.

How interesting. Many, many of the dogs we have seen around here are very similar.

vixen
06-01-14, 04:06 PM
I can send you a few more if you like,we have a shifting population,who come and go.I have to say that they don't seem to bother about the calves,too many roos around.We do actively use various control measures,they disappear for a while and then drift back to this part of their territory
Are you able to ground bait,either mound or along a trail?That dog looked like it might be looking for food.

Dresden
06-01-14, 10:46 PM
Looks mostly dingo to me. When we holidayed on Fraser Island a decade ago, the dingoes there were quite large frame, but thin and looked like that. Around here we see plenty of foxes, buts it the man sized roos who like to play havoc with us - usually taking on the big car like they are super Skippy's. Wouldn't dare want to hit one in my teeny car. The Captains Flat road and Majura Road areas are shockers.
Luckily no feral dogs to annoy my calves at home though, just fence jumping idiots.

MMC
06-01-14, 11:40 PM
Looks mostly dingo to me.

Dresden, this is NOT a Dingo. There may be some Dingo in it, but it is many generations feral dog. There are many types here, but as has been said before ^^^^^^, it is not a Dingo. It is a Feral dog that is intent on killing and eating what it can. And often my calves. And sometimes just for fun, :( :( The most recent calf we found torn apart was a 200kg plus beast. Bigger than my Shetland Pony. Do you see why I want them gone. The picture you see is a small, small dog. :(

I am a massive animal lover like all of us, but these dogs are back to their most basic killing machine instincts. :(

vixen
07-01-14, 06:43 AM
If you do manage to shoot/trap or otherwise catch a dog there is a research program going,tracking their DNA,a few hairs,with root from the tail are required,in NSW it's being done through the Rural Lands Board.

LisaL
07-01-14, 08:37 AM
Get the shooters details and clean them up.

The guardian dogs have to be raised as part of a herd. If they are treated as pets they won't bond and become part of the problem. One of my uncles has shot a few of the big white ones that got bored with their families and sheep and decided to hunt his cattle.

teetee
07-01-14, 09:42 AM
The "big white ones" would be mareemas, they are an LGD breed originating in Italy and which has been ill served by a number of bybs in Australia who have moved away from the original working purpose of the breed and bred for the pet market as a kind of 'big fluffy dog'. There is one such so called 'breeder' in my area, mating poor examples of the breed and selling them as anything from pets to guardians, often being suitable for neither as they haven't been bred from working parents nor raised in working conditions, yet retaining many traits of the breed that make them unsuitable for a backyard pet. A good LGD breeder will liaise with their puppy buyer and know what sort of working environment the pup will be going into and ensure that the appropriate conditions are met as closely as possible, like any working breed they require a certain amount of training and habituation, and it is particularly important for a well bred working LGD if it is to effectively serve the purpose for which it was bred and purchased. They are proven to be effective in drastic reductions in stock losses on sheep properties in Australia, but I don't believe there has been much research on their efficacy in cattle production hence why I have contacted a breeder to find out more.

This is a handbook about LGDs produced by the invasive animals CRC for those who are interested
http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Guardian-Dogs-web.pdf

Rosinante
07-01-14, 10:07 AM
There was an interesting program on ABC tv before Xmas called Dingo Wild Dog at War which showed the dingo in a different light. The plot summary ...

'The Australian bush is at war... 'DINGO' follows farmer and canine advocate Dave Graham as he hunts for solutions to the dilemma surrounding Australia's native canine the Dingo. A secretive and stealthy predator, Dingoes are responsible for devastating livestock losses. Farmers, in defense of their livelihoods, have long retaliated with culling. It's a battle for survival, and it's escalating. But is the Dingo really a villain? New research shows the Dingo may play a pivotal role in protecting Australian ecosystems. Sadly, this research also shows that the pure Dingo is on the brink of extinction. Featuring stunning behavioral photography and a wide cast of passionate stakeholders, this one-hour natural history documentary will attempt to untangle one of the most complex and emotional debates facing the Australian landscape today.'
- Written by Essential Media & Entertainment

They also showed these guard dogs. Worth watching if you can find it. It's no longer on Iview :(

Silver Taffy
07-01-14, 12:32 PM
I watched that Doco and it's online if anyone wants to watch it. It was really good and gives a variety of situations and options. There was no one size fits all.

I have a Malinois x dingo. He was dna tested as a pup and is 70% dingo (he would have been put down if pure). I live in the Fraser Coast so that could explain the high percentage dingo blood. I didn't set out to get a dingo cross but instead was open to offer a home to a shep x that was going to the pound otherwise. After I met him, I was told about his breeding. We introduced him to our dogs and cat before agreeing and he looked like he could fit in with us all, so we decided to take him. No regrets, love him but we have a suitable home for him too (he wears a containment system collar so does not leave our yard unless on a leash). Our horses don't interest him (we sussed that out too) but he also doesn't have access to them. He is very intellegent and picks up things quickly.

That dog posted by MMC may not be pure dingo but he certainly is part dingo. Our dog looks very dingo and we often get asked if he is one. I think the biggest issue is feral dogs breeding with them. Dingos are aloof and tend to go after stock when there is sudden movement, it's instinctive. Dogs on the other hand can become more confident and cocky. Mixing those traits into a dingo cross is a real worry. Fortunately for us, our cat even keeps our boy in line.

I hope I don't get any negativity towards our dog. He really is quite a lovable, affectionate boy.