PDA

View Full Version : What are your dogs doing while they are not being watched..? N/H

cyrus
05-03-14, 05:44 PM
It is always interesting to see what happens to peoples dogs, this one was just random look as I drove out to my horses today, but a topic that has always been close to my heart ( owning a wandering dog was never any fun)

There seem to less dead roos since we have had some rain, along the stretch where there were plenty watch out for each day.
Yesterday there was a pretty mangled one, and it was still on the road today, as I glanced to the verge, there was a brown Labrador looking dog and a little white maltese terrier type dog, enjoying some extra breakfast... yummo.
At least they were clever enough to drag bits off the road and hopefully not get collected by a car in the 100k speed limited road.

Then- where I am got puppy for xmas.... it does get locked in when they are away at work, and he seems happy there watching me and the horses of morning. But when they are about, they just go inside, and leave it unattended - when he was tiny, he was happy to sleep. Now he sets off adventuring, as it is not a secure yard where he is left....

Sheep across the highway, my horses in the next paddock, ( I never do anything but usher him right back through the gate when he visits, eventually he wears out looking )

I just do not get why people allow a dog to be unattended and roam.... sigh.

acaciaalba
05-03-14, 10:26 PM
i can never get it either, Cyrus. why they allow their dogs to roam , and bark all day and half the night either.
some people should not have dogs, or cats, or hosses either. they should have a pet rock they can just go off and leave .

GoneRama
06-03-14, 09:51 AM
It's the standard rule here that if any dogs are seen unsupervised on the station then they get shot, no questions asked, especially if they are chasing cattle. Quite a few people cracked the shits that their dogs had been shot. I gave them no sympathy. Restrain/contain/look after your dogs and it wouldn't have happened. Simple as that yet it's amazing how many people don't get it. We make sure our dogs cannot escape and hidey ho neither of them have ended up shot or chomped by a croc, isn't that amazing.

I know for a fact that when we go away our 3 sit on the verandah and sulk until our return. We have someone to check and feed them once a day and always we're getting the same messages........... the boys don't look too happy :( Once we get home however...................... boy do we get a welcome and a half!

Rosinante
06-03-14, 02:01 PM
Where we used to live in sheep country it was as Gonerama describes ... Any loose dogs were shot. Where we are now, I find it difficult to understand that no one seems to lock their dogs up. They seem to just let them come and go as they please :confused:

GoneRama
06-03-14, 02:49 PM
one of mine right now.....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/q83/s720x720/10007411_10151886569131396_1969704096_n.jpg
Can just see the schnoz of one of the others in the top of the pic, beside him is the 3rd one.

Linon
06-03-14, 07:56 PM
As of this afternoon...

While we were out, Destructor and The Big Unit broke into the house paddock (long story - kind of everyone and no ones fault...) and did laps and laps and laps of the house gleefully chased by our blue heeler.

They put massive divots in the yard, broke up sections of the newly laid driveway (Destructor was about to be destructored by husband for that given that he laid the driveway), and even squashed and broke up an ants nest ffs.

The blue heeler, in the absence of parental guidance had a wonderful time doing what heelers do. Heel and bark.

All was seen by the contractor who accidentally sparked the whole thing off, and who then nearly had heart failure trying to calm everyone down when they were having such a wonderful time.

No one died, but a certain neddy is living on borrowed time...

:)

cyrus
06-03-14, 08:26 PM
:O More zappper to the fences needed :) naughty neddie- but she might then jump:O

moosh
06-03-14, 08:51 PM
I have no idea either Cyrus. I live in Suburbia in a villa, my lab goes to my Nonni every day to hang with them while I'm at work so she doesn't bark and annoy the neighbours. They spoil her rotten and she loves it. She was attacked 18mths ago by 2 loose dogs while she was being walked by my 75yr old Nonna, who was hysterical and trying to get the dogs off Holly. I fronted up to the owners home with my vet bill & he had the gall to try and get out of paying it!! I was ropable, I'm a responsible dog owner, she is well cared for, I clean up after her when we go for our runs and I regularly take her to the paddock. She knows not to chase the boys and to stay in our paddock and away from the other horses. Bax loves her and happily shares his feed, Benny isn't great with dogs and will chase them out but recognises Holly is higher up in the herd and leaves her be. She knows to avoid him too.

Irresponsible pet owners, be it dogs, cats, horses etc who don't do the basic restrain on your own property and care for them appropriately make my blood boil!!

Linon I guess you didn't have to work about working horses today, your dog did it for you! Hope hubby cools down and Destructor lives to destroy another metal object :)

Mystery~Bay
06-03-14, 11:01 PM
Well apparently mine is killing and dismembering rats, according to the present he left me on the front mat today. I guess he's useful though:cool:

mindari
06-03-14, 11:38 PM
Well apparently mine is killing and dismembering rats, according to the present he left me on the front mat today. I guess he's useful though:cool:

That sure brings back memories.
The one good thing about Green eyes getting too old to catch rats and mice was she finally stopped bringing them to place at my feet when I was on the throne of meditation.

sassie_pony
07-03-14, 01:31 AM
My Daughter has a young Staffy puppy, which at the moment is locked in kitchen/dining area while she is away from home. She arrived home the other day to be greeted by the remains of the puppy's Santa cushion. (Santa is the red thing).

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/sassie_pony/PoppysSantacushion_zps9ac9f5a8.jpg

The culprit - Poppy the Staffy pup.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/sassie_pony/Poppy_zps159d5de1.jpg

cyrus
07-03-14, 07:43 AM
I sure recall those days... my dog ended with pillows covered in shadecloth type material and he still ate and dug them out...

TrotOn
07-03-14, 07:46 AM
Our dogs get hay in their kennels now - it is the only thing they can't destroy! We have gone through so many blankets and cushions that I just got fed up of picking up the remains all the time and said no more!

We had a problem with our dogs wandering off until we installed a hidden fence (the kind where the dog wears a radio collar) and that has been great. Occasionally one of them will get out but I just leave him tied for a day or two and that reminds him that he needs to stay in!

Littlelamb
07-03-14, 08:37 AM
A nearby farmer was complaining that a fox had killed a large number of ducks (meat) because their Mareema was chained up. Why was the dog tied up? Because neighbours had complained about dog wandering. Then they have the audacity to say that a neighbourhood education campaign was needed! We are in a grazing farming community with calves and lambs. The Mareema had been with another dog on a property across the highway. Roaming dogs are a big no no.
Our SIL has built a lovely dog run for their young mini schnauzer to reside in if they have to go away for the day. Sensible.

Miniature Lover
07-03-14, 11:54 AM
My dog sleeps.... Every time I come home she gets up off her bed runs across the yard and chases the resident magpie to make it look like she was actually busy and then goes back to bed.

If she isn't sleeping she is chasing cars along the fence line (Kelpie X cattle) and if none of the above she is standing at the electric fence of the stallions yard barking at him when he calls out to the mares.

Jcr
07-03-14, 04:05 PM
Just come hoe from a couple of hours grocery shopping to find that our dog had been playing in the kitchen rubbish bin! At least the kitchen has now had its overdue floor wash! Dog also had a wash fortunately its a warm afternoon:)

k123
07-03-14, 09:19 PM
I will admit to nearly running my dog down late one night when he was young. He got a hiding for leaving the yard, which was repeated every time he attempted escape. That probably seems harsh but it was in his best interest. I'm 5'8" and he could clear fences higher than me when he chose to.

he is a staffy and they need work. From around 2yo on, he has been the perfect dog. He was walked 5-10 kms daily, plus Frisbee and was always adored by our neighbors. Even under 2 he was loved, just not a perfect dog as he was learning. He is now 13, living in a unit, with huge courtyard and is a model citizen according to our neighbours. He barks at 'unalloweds' which all the neighbours appreciate. Unalloweds are people he has not met.

He is the best dog ever and my world will be less when he finally departs.

pepe001
07-03-14, 09:28 PM
No problems at our place with wandering pet dogs. The wild dogs eat them.

Mystery~Bay
07-03-14, 09:45 PM
Staffiea are hard work I've had 3 all amazing dogs but 2 of them were terrified of storms and one of those 2 had terrible separation anxiety develop around age 4. Lost all of them around age 4 - 1st one stolen and taken to qld for dog fighting (happy ending as ran away in storm and lady who found him kept him and rehabilitated him as I couldn't take him back as I had a new baby), 2nd had a stroke and 3rd one hit by a car

Now we have a mini foxie and he is perfect. Doesn't wander, dig, bark or seem to poo anywhere! He just has the run of 20 acres, amuses himself with bones, chooks, the cat, the kids and our daily life. Love him to death.

Werdun
08-03-14, 09:09 AM
I don't mind helping out the odd loose dog, reuniting with owners, etc...sometimes a responsible owner can have accidents too. But a repeat offender or a dog caught in the act of chasing stock will not get treated so understandingly.

I like the idea of simply calling the pound for repeat offenders because (a) you don't have to get involved (b) the owners have to pay money to take back their dog who "never wanders", and (c) they can't accuse the dog officer of walking into their yard to take their dog, so that leaves only one other option.

However, funny story....

A couple of years ago, my housemate was driving home and saw a dog standing by the road near a gate (rural area). No house or owner in sight so she picked it up and we started trying to track down an owner. It took several hours, but it turned out that the gate the dog was standing by was actually the start of a driveway...the house was way back off the road and we didn't know someone lived there!

It is the only time we have ever seen that dog (apart from a glimpse of it in the owner's van) and I am confident to say that the owner, who is a bit of a recluse, is very responsible and that the dog is very well behaved....and was probably just waiting at that spot (as far as he was allowed to go) until Dad got home.....AND THEN THIS CRAZY WOMAN CAME ALONG AND DOGNAPPED HIM!!!! LOL! :)

Horsesforcourses
09-03-14, 01:17 PM
Our dogs get hay in their kennels now - it is the only thing they can't destroy! We have gone through so many blankets and cushions that I just got fed up of picking up the remains all the time and said no more!

We had a problem with our dogs wandering off until we installed a hidden fence (the kind where the dog wears a radio collar) and that has been great. Occasionally one of them will get out but I just leave him tied for a day or two and that reminds him that he needs to stay in!
I've just ordered one of these - one of my dogs took off 5kms up the road last week via an emu carcass and delivered my bemused neighbour a single emu leg as he lay on the ground working on his combine. Apparently she didn't want to sit a storm out alone and she thought the emu leg would sweeten the deal. This is the second time she's been up there & of course the neighbour is within his rights to shoot her so I'm not going to let it happen again. We did have a one dog tied up one dog off policy day & night which worked well until these last two visits. So, if it works then no one has to be tied up which will be absolutely wonderful! Hope ours works as well as yours TrotOn - how big an area have you installed the fence in?

opensky
09-03-14, 05:11 PM
Horsesforcourses if you are interested, I have one of those brand new still in the package for sale. Cost $350 sell for $250. It's this one:

http://www.dogmaster.com.au/shop/item/pac-invisible-dog-fencing

Bought when we got a young kelpie, but she came good. Built a dog run instead....our dogs are off all the time when we are home but in their run when we leave the property.

Horsesforcourses
10-03-14, 04:29 PM
Opensky thank you for the kind offer but we've already ordered & paid for it ... I honestly didn't think it would work too well so I'm very pleased your kelpie got the message.
Our dogs are fine when we're at home too & even though my husband made a little pen it's pretty basic & they have 10 times the energy to burn off when they come out. We can't tie one of them up, even with a choker chain because she has a gift for slipping it off so this is the next thing to try for a peaceful life.

opensky
10-03-14, 04:54 PM
No worries HFC...I figured you may have pre-paid when you ordered, might put it on the for sale thread. We didn't even unpack or use ours, our young kelpie just suddenly started to stay in the house area rather than roam further into our paddocks. A dog run is ideal. We bought pre-made mesh panels on ebay that a bloke near Geelong manufactures, especially for dog runs. You buy whatever panels you want and they slot together, and there is a gate. Got ours for about $350, good steel and last forever. We made an L-shape around a pine cubby-house that is their kennel. (Kelpie and a Whippet...good mates.) Good luck with your 'hidden fence', hope it works, nothing worse than roaming dogs or the worry of it when it's yours...

TrotOn
11-03-14, 06:38 PM
I've just ordered one of these - one of my dogs took off 5kms up the road last week via an emu carcass and delivered my bemused neighbour a single emu leg as he lay on the ground working on his combine. Apparently she didn't want to sit a storm out alone and she thought the emu leg would sweeten the deal. This is the second time she's been up there & of course the neighbour is within his rights to shoot her so I'm not going to let it happen again. We did have a one dog tied up one dog off policy day & night which worked well until these last two visits. So, if it works then no one has to be tied up which will be absolutely wonderful! Hope ours works as well as yours TrotOn - how big an area have you installed the fence in?

Our dogs have about half an acre. It keeps them in the house area and out of the horse paddocks, unfortunately they can still get in the garden and it gets abit trashed....grrr :( !