PDA

View Full Version : Is $200 a week a fair price?

Broke (Guest)
28-05-02, 11:16 AM
I am sending my hack away on Saturday to live with a showie. I was told it is $200 a week for stabling, feed, rugging etc and work.. Does this sound like a fair price? As he is in paddock condition it will basically from sratch - show prep..
Thanks

KatieMegan
28-05-02, 02:13 PM
to tell u honestly i have no idea...but it seems a resonable price to me!!

KT (Guest)
29-05-02, 01:31 AM
From all my research into sending a horse off for training - $200 a week inc GST, feed, agistment and training is a VERY good price.

jj (Guest)
29-05-02, 03:56 AM
yes most are at least $200 up to about $380... so you are getting a good price

show sham (Guest)
29-05-02, 05:05 AM
$28 - $54 per day for a blue ribbon and they say racing is expensive? Lets see to get him fat we overfeed and underwork then to get him going we lunge with side reins, chambon or pesseo we'll give him a dose of arsenic for his coat (do the mice at the same time) and of course don't forget the sling for the trainer, the jock and the strapper if neddy happens to beat any of the other five looking over the stable door after all we are paying for the trainer to enjoy thier hobby aren't we.

lovlee (Guest)
29-05-02, 08:21 AM
Yep ! That the going rate. Provided the horse is going to a profesional! When you think about fed for the week, stabling,cleaning, excerise, and this I take it will be for at home only and not going to a show? (That extra!)

interested (Guest)
29-05-02, 12:56 PM
How much would it be for taking the horse to a show? Who supplies the gear for the show eg saddle bridle including browband, numnah etc?

Kaylene (Guest)
29-05-02, 02:29 PM
Sounds like a good price to me - think of it in terms of how much more you will enjoy your horse when you get him back.

Just be sure to ask around others that have used your trainers etc as you will get better service (value for money?) from some trainers than you will from others. Also make sure you find out whether things like transport to shows etc are extra. They probably would be at that price, but be sure to check so you don't get an unexpected financial surprise!

vps (Guest)
29-05-02, 03:07 PM
I think considering the time and effort that goes into producing a horse that is a fair price. We have all long term customers on a whole and as the horses live here 12 months of the year dont charge that much. But I am thinking that when you put into it shavings, box cleaning, feeding, rugging, riding ( lunging well waste of time really) holding for farrier , admisinstering of drench, etc etc etc and put it down to an hourly rate it is fair enough. I think at the end of the day the most important thing is to have clear communication as to what your expectations are and to have an honest trainer who can tell you honestly whether they feel the horse has the potential ( barring judges opinion which are all differant or nobody would ever show) to achieve what you intend it to. We have clients that we are honest with and they are happy with our advice and still wish to put the time and cash in. As long as you are happy and feel you are getting your moneys worth then you are getting a fair deal. Just remember and bear in mind things do not happen overnight and horses take time to get into top show condition ( not weeks) and proper education takes many months not weeks. So be clear, you want good basics etc or you want the blue ribbon quicky job. Big mistake I made once in sending a mare away when I was pregnant once. Do state what you want!!!!! If this is clear and your comminication is clear you shall not have any excuse to be disapointed!

Broke (Guest)
30-05-02, 10:45 AM
Thanks Guys.. Yeah he is going on Saturday! I have all my own show gear so that doesnt matter.

VPS - I CAN understand how much effort you put into your horses... I LIVED WITH YOU LOLOLOL Now.. guess who I am? Haha Yeah its "Reggi"
Cheers