PDA

View Full Version : age to start pony club?

helen (Guest)
29-05-02, 09:32 AM
hi

what age can kids start pony club?

thanks

ponies power (Guest)
29-05-02, 10:01 AM
I have a 5 year old that has started ponyclub this year, she has been doing leadrein classes since she was 3. We have kept her on the lead for this year as once you take them off the lead at a ribbon day you cant put them back on so you make sure there capable first . Its any age on the lead and then there is a under 7 class off the lead and so on .

helen (Guest)
29-05-02, 10:13 AM
thanks for that

Mel S (Guest)
30-05-02, 03:29 AM
My daughter started at 4 even thought the PC told me she had to be 5 because of the insurance.As I have my own insurance with my trainers licence they allowed her to join.
I still had to pay the insurance with the club as well though so work that one out!
I think provided a child wants to do it and they feel comfortable going then its fine.I never forced my daughter to go,sometimes if she had other activities on and she preferred to go there instead of PC then she did.......Other times she'd drive me nuts all week asking when she could go to pc next.She chose.
The main thing is they are happy doing it not because mummy or daddy want them to go.

Happy Riding!

Debbie (Guest)
30-05-02, 03:54 AM
I have taken 2 kids (niece & nephew) through pony club starting on lead rein (2 years each - great exercise :D ) and we loved it. Clubs have varying policies about starting age but it is usually about 5.

I was also involved as a sort of second instructor with this littlies group as up until about 7 or 8 they do need a lot of parental involvement and stimulation. The concentration span is not very long (all parents would know this) and having someone with them helps a lot. I used to carry treats (jelly babies etc)in my pocket and hand them out when the littlies were looking a little weary.

Our littlies group do lots of things not directly about horses but lots of games & activities that can be done on horseback. They are taught the basic theory stuff like the CORRECT way to mount & dismount, how to "park" their ponies in the lineup, how to hold their reins properly etc. they also have a short theory session each rally.

I absolutely loved this stage of pony club. It was just so much fun for kids & parents. Now my niece is 16 and has pinched MY TB mare so I can sit back and chat & watch now (I still love that too).

Debbie (Guest)
30-05-02, 03:58 AM
Just had to say that my niece started pony club at 4, is now 16 and has not missed one rally in that time (I have taken her to them all too)!!! She is really proud to get her perfect attendance medallion each year still.

Pretty good hey ?

Pony Clubber (Guest)
30-05-02, 04:11 AM
Just dont let Xteen respond to your forum - she thinks they are doing flying changes by this age!

Lauren (Guest)
30-05-02, 05:12 AM
Personally i dont think kids should start pony club till they are 4 or 5, because they are just to young, most kids cant cope with a full day of pony club, we have a lot of young kids at our club and they get so tired at the end of the day, there are always tears.

But most clubs dont like children under 5 attending pony club, but they are always welcome to join as a non riding member, they get to do fun things and still lern.
All children have to be 8 years old to compete at pony club.

Sarah N (Guest)
30-05-02, 05:26 AM
As a current member of Pony Club, i think the most important thing is that the child wants to be there.

I have been a member for over ten years and have enjoyed not only for the riding but the socializing.

at my current pony club i think the youngest are about 2. They are led and spend a lot of the day playing games and other activities. Some only come for half the day, but still enjoy it. We included them in most of the clubs activites.

We even have competions within the club, for our houses, so that they can gain experience before they compete outside the club.