PDA

View Full Version : Renaming a competition horse

Foogini
20-09-16, 06:19 PM
I know I have not posted on here for a very long time however I would like people’s opinions on competing a horse under a different stud prefix or name than the original.

I know it is quite common to rename a horse once their racing career is over I am not including this, nor animals whose registered name can be considered vulgar.

What I am referring to is a horse that is registered with its breed society (some with a performance history in lead and or ridden) being registered with a different body (eg. EA registration) under a new stud prefix or a different name entirely.

Personally i think it doing this is in poor taste however it is a personal decision for the horse’s new owner.

seedytoe
20-09-16, 07:31 PM
Theft in my opinion.
The breeder has put a lot of time and effort into researching bloodlines etc, to produce that performance horse. Their stud name is there in pride of place to acknowledge their achievement. And for someone else to alter the stud name to one of their own is nothing less than theft. You want your stud name in front of your horse's name...go breed one yourself.

mindari
20-09-16, 10:55 PM
Theft in my opinion.
The breeder has put a lot of time and effort into researching bloodlines etc, to produce that performance horse. Their stud name is there in pride of place to acknowledge their achievement. And for someone else to alter the stud name to one of their own is nothing less than theft. You want your stud name in front of your horse's name...go breed one yourself.

Exactly.
about time it was stopped, not fair the the breeder at all, or to anyone wanting to reseach that horse either

HussaarsRider
21-09-16, 10:47 AM
Even if not theft (I have no stud nor any plans to pass a horse off as one that I have bred) I fully agree that using the name registered by the breeder (including any stud prefix) is simply a sign of respect.
The other issue that springs to mind is where a horse has had problems in the past (soundness etc) and re-naming it can be seen as an easy way to gloss over those issues with a view to a quick sale.

Shoes
22-09-16, 12:09 PM
I am with you HussaarsRider, re changing the name how could you review the horse's competition history if its been changed.
We have one that competed under his racing name in a different field, we changed one's name because it didnt suit his nature, plus it was a crap name" sundries" but he failed barrier trials so he had never competed under his racing name and was headed to the doggers, he competed in a different field
one we changed the name because on the competition forms you couldnt fit the whole name in, we basically left two of the three names together, the horse had only done two dressage tests and now if you were to research her history you would recognise the horse on its cometition history with the two tests were two different name versions so we made it simpler.
We added an extra name to one as it was given a very feminine name we kept the stud prefix just gave him a more manly touch to his name

leesa
22-09-16, 12:15 PM
I am with you HussaarsRider, re changing the name how could you review the horse's competition history if its been changed.

We added an extra name to one as it was given a very feminine name we kept the stud prefix just gave him a more manly touch to his name

So, what you're saying is that you agree that people shouldn't change a horse's name... but you've done it three times including one in particular that was a registered name with a stud prefix?

teetee
22-09-16, 12:50 PM
I think it's fine to change a racing name, once the horse has left the industry it's no longer relevant who bred it, and you can easily trace it with microchip number anyway.

But a purpose bred horse absolutely not. I might change the prefix to initials to fit it on an entry form but the only time I've registered a foal I didn't breed with my own prefix is when the breeder didn't have a prefix.

The work that goes into breeding good purpose bred horses should be recognised. I know a breeder who sold a horse the new owners changed its name and dropped the prefix, it is out there performing at high level eventing and the breeder gets no recognition for this. The prefix is the only thing that the breeder has to show the work that has gone into producing the horse, it should be respected.

Linon
22-09-16, 01:19 PM
What if it is a dud name?

The big girl has a name that many people think is odd (so does my other one). I don't want to piss off the breeder, but at the same day, the names are duds.

What do i do??

:)

teetee
22-09-16, 01:22 PM
Have a chat to the breeder :) I think most breeders would be ok with changing a name as long as their prefix was retained. But it depends why they chose that name, she might be named after a beloved granny or something ;)

Realistically a show name is only used at comps so it's not something I stress about day to day.

leesa
22-09-16, 01:25 PM
Does it make the horse go any worse?

Linon
22-09-16, 01:29 PM
Does it make the horse go any worse?

Yes.

It.

Does.

leesa
22-09-16, 01:36 PM
Hahaha yeah fair enough, can't argue with that :)

Zamarie
22-09-16, 02:16 PM
What if it is a dud name?

The big girl has a name that many people think is odd (so does my other one). I don't want to piss off the breeder, but at the same day, the names are duds.

What do i do??

Is it only the name part that is a dud or is it also the stud prefix?

Any stud owners that I know don't care in the slightest if you change the name part as long as you keep the stud prefix part.

I think in some instances it is mildly acceptable to remove all traces of a stud prefix and just register a simple name with the EA.

However I think it is totally unacceptable when you see studs who buy stock bred from other studs and then remove the breeder's prefix and put their own prefix on, when they had nothing whatsoever to do with the breeding of the horse.

Muzziet
22-09-16, 03:18 PM
I don't like changing names in general but I have two friends who each had a breed registered horse that they then registered with EA with a much plainer name.

This was to remove any bias towards the particular breed as they are not typically considered a dressage horse and that's where they were competing.

Plus one name was god awful and his new name summed him up perfectly : )

Bats_79
23-09-16, 12:15 AM
Have a chat to the breeder :) I think most breeders would be ok with changing a name as long as their prefix was retained.

I always say to buyers that they are welcome to change the horse's NAME but not the stud prefix. I do believe that the EA don't agree with this practice today though I could be wrong.

Cannondale
23-09-16, 06:57 AM
I always say to buyers that they are welcome to change the horse's NAME but not the stud prefix. I do believe that the EA don't agree with this practice today though I could be wrong.

Stud owners need to either write it into contracts or behave in a manner that would want to see us advertising their stud by keeping the stud prefix. In my experience neither happens.

Stud owner - and I use the word stud loosely here, couldn't be arsed sending on papers once the money was in her bank. So after 14 months of requests for papers and being fobbed off with implausible reasons why papers couldn't materialise, I EA registered the horse under a new name dropping the stud prefix.

Papers eventually arrived and the registered name was sooooo pretentious it's unusable.

Be professional in your dealings and people will do the right thing.

Shoes
23-09-16, 11:10 AM
Leesa, yes we changed parts of the name for three horses,one was done because the name was so long that it didnt fit in the space allocated for the competition name and as a result the two tests the horse did two different names were allocated we modified the name keeping two of the three names it was given to reduce the possibility of confusion with variations of the name and to add some consistency in the horse's competition history.
One we kept everything the breeder had registered the horse with but we added an extra word, we asked the breeder if we could do that and he had no problem.
The third horse hadnt raced it failed barrier training and was on to the doggers sale noone knew what the horse's name was, but it was the 150 th foal born to that racing stud that year, we researched his brand found out what his name was and it was crap, he never raced and competed in a different field.
Maybe breeders should give a bit more thought into the names they give, there are people out there that change names to avoid the horses competition history, once these three started their competition life the names have not been changed and their competition history is there to be looked at if they were to be sold

Bats_79
23-09-16, 11:45 AM
Stud owners need to either write it into contracts or behave in a manner that would want to see us advertising their stud by keeping the stud prefix. In my experience neither happens.

Stud owner - and I use the word stud loosely here, couldn't be arsed sending on papers once the money was in her bank. So after 14 months of requests for papers and being fobbed off with implausible reasons why papers couldn't materialise, I EA registered the horse under a new name dropping the stud prefix.

Papers eventually arrived and the registered name was sooooo pretentious it's unusable.

Be professional in your dealings and people will do the right thing.

Really? You've had a bad experience therefore every stud owner is the problem and the buyers never do it wrong?

Not likely. And how about when a horse is sold on again and the name changed? How is that the stud's fault? It is simply lack of respect for the BREEDING of the horse and the horse's genetic background.

Linon
23-09-16, 01:11 PM
I would like to add that I am very proud of Destructor and she turns heads whenever she is out and about (sometimes even for the right reasons!!), and I always recommend the breeder.

Bookra
23-09-16, 01:52 PM
I don't believe in changing a horses name from its registered name, but if you must don't put your prefix on a horse you didn't breed. That to me is simply fraudulent, pretending to be the breeder of a horse you bought. In dogs the prefix of the owners is sometimes added as a suffix eg Dooenbrae Myola Lass of Eireannmada. Dooenbra is the breeder, Eireannmada is the owner. To me it is sufficient that competition records list the owner/rider of the animal, surely that is enough credit for your contribution.

Zamarie
23-09-16, 07:00 PM
I don't believe in changing a horses name from its registered name, but if you must don't put your prefix on a horse you didn't breed. That to me is simply fraudulent, pretending to be the breeder of a horse you bought. In dogs the prefix of the owners is sometimes added as a suffix eg Dooenbrae Myola Lass of Eireannmada. Dooenbra is the breeder, Eireannmada is the owner. To me it is sufficient that competition records list the owner/rider of the animal, surely that is enough credit for your contribution.

There is a stud near me that if they buy a horse not only do they remove the stud prefix and put theirs in front of the name, I then saw them have a go at someone who bought a horse from the stud that the stud had not bred but put their prefix on it, and they then had a go at the new owner for removing their prefix!!! It was never their prefix to begin with!

... Taff
24-09-16, 10:22 AM
I think having a chat to the breeder is a great idea (and one that I might not have thought of) if you want to change the horse's name.

Regarding the Stuf Prefex, that is an entirely different kettle of fish and should never be changed. I mean the Stud Prefix good grief.

ETA: In fact, up until I read about it on here quite a few moons ago that that had ever been done, I had assumed that no one would ever do it.