PDA

View Full Version : Top hats in hacking

Anna
10-03-00, 03:46 PM
Could someone please give me some advice about what to wear on my head when I take my dressage horse out hacking in a few weeks time?? I have not hacked for years but have noticed a few people wearing top hats lately. A friend is using my old show cap - can I wear my top hat without looking like an idiot? It is just a little local breed show with some hack classes. Any advice would be most appreciated!!

BLACK BEAUTY
10-03-00, 04:18 PM
Hmmm can you possibly be "uncool" and wear a safety helmet ?, I do dressage and I am one of few who actually wears a safety helmet, but hey perhaps I am the only 26yr old who realises their not immortal!!, my motto: "better a dork than dead"!!.
No seriously why dont you wear a safety helmet "new derby" make same beautiful helmets that dont make you look like your wearing a pumpkin on your head, otherwise I would think that a top hat at a local comp was a bit over done, and left to the try-hards, but if you compete at state/national level well then yes wear one.

Liz
11-03-00, 02:54 AM
Well, it seems dressage and hacking are the last to follow up on the saftey helmet laws. It will take a death or a serious injury and then we'll all have to wear ASA approved helmets. I know one thing for sure, it won't be my brain mashed up, I'm wearing an ASA approved helmet at dressage and shows because I won't sacrifice my safety for the sake of looks. Makes me laugh, everyone I know wears a helmet religiously when training at home or riding on trails yet they disgard it and wear the equivalent of a base ball cap at comps. Amazes me that the EFA insurance company don't make the wearing of helmets compulsory. So there's my little beef for the day.

glenn
12-03-00, 05:20 AM
stick to your velvet riding hat or bowler,
not the topper

bo-peep (Guest)
15-03-02, 05:44 PM
..and take the top hat along, you might need it for the championship..