PDA

View Full Version : Copra

Rusty#1 (Guest)
16-08-02, 12:11 PM
Just wanting to hear any opinions regarding feeding copra to horses. I was thinking of feeding it to my just 3yo morab gelding as I've heard it has good protein content and is a good "growing" feed. Any info would be appreciated.

mm (Guest)
16-08-02, 12:37 PM
Copra is derived from Coconut. Harsh solvents are used to extract the meal from the coconuts therefore I would not be feeding it to my horse.

Soy bean meal is good for fattening or Equisoy.

Folly (Guest)
16-08-02, 01:43 PM
I've found soybean meal to be more heating than copra. I feed soaked copra in addition to economix (& bulk) and find it a good fattener and coat shiner without heating them (which happens if I feed extra economix to achieve the same desired result).

Judith NZ (Guest)
16-08-02, 08:44 PM
Copra Meal has the same energy levels as oats but of course is never fed in the same quantities.
Full fat soy has about 32% protein (about 3 times that of oats)
Soya Bean meal is the left over after the oil is extracted using chemical means (same as Copra Meal) so if you are adverse to using Copra Meal for these reasons then Soya Bean Meal falls into the same category.
I use full fat soy at about one cup per day.

Copra Queen (Guest)
16-08-02, 11:59 PM
I feed my horse Copra when he first comes back in after being spelled. He is 3yo gelding, I feed about 1/2 scoop (yellow mitavite scoop) then put twice the amount of water as well as mollasses and let it sit for about 5 mins. I only feed this at night. He just gets his normal feed in the morning and hay.

After feeding this to him for about 6 weeks, I find that he is progressing along nicely with his weight and has a great topline then i slowly take him off it and back to feeding him equestrian pellets, chaff, hay etc.

Everyone comments on how great his colour and coat is. But interestingly enough, if you look at the ingredients in Groom you will find that one of the main ones is copra meal.

Be warned, if your horse is a fussy eater, you can almost guarantee that it won't eat copra. The first few days I have a fair amount of copra left in the feed bin (everyone wonders how he sifts out the other feed), but after that he finished it off every night.

With regards to the chemicals used to produce this feed, if you think about it... unless you have organically grown feed (which i'm sure would be extremely uneconomical) how would you know what chemicals are used to grown any feed??

Fiona in Tassie (Guest)
17-08-02, 02:00 AM
Wow, this is my week for answering feed threads - first the Coprice one and now this! :-)

I feed my 5yo anglo mare copra (along with chaff and coprice), and she loves it. She has a lovely shine to her coat and doesn't get "fizzy". I put one coffee cup of copra in a 1 litre icecream container of water and let that soak while I prepare the rest of the feed, then stir through. Smells so good I reckon I could eat it myself!

Remember it is an additive though, not a complete feed, so you will need to feed some other sort of feed (such as coprice) to make sure your horse gets all its required vitamins, minerals and nutrients.

Caroline (Guest)
17-08-02, 03:21 AM
As with anything, introduce it gradually. I found my horse developed allergic bumps along his back from it.

Manomix is also a good fattener for young horses as is HiForm Equisoy.

Cynic (Guest)
17-08-02, 04:41 AM
In this day and age where there are more and more people saying that they are getting back to the basics of feeding, I do wonder why some people are feeding a coconut based product. I mean, don't you think that if horses were designed to eat coconut that they'd be born with an ability to climb trees and crack coconuts? I may be looking at it a bit too simply but that's just my opinion and I don't feed it for that reason. On the other hand, we have a client who supplies cattle for the EU and he must conform to very strict feeding requirements and in my last conversation with him he bagged me for not feeding Copra because it does such a good job fattening his cattle. Each to their own but the horses in my paddock didn't come off desert islands and coconut doesn't appear in any of my horse books as a part of any equine diet. :D

Fiona in Tassie (Guest)
17-08-02, 05:04 AM
Well yes, but how many horses in the wild have access to oats? corn? barley?

Plus, how many humans are eating what they would "in the wild"?

Improvements in technology and research into foodstuffs have been done for a reason - we are all better off than we would be "in the wild". Why not use the better products and knowledge that we have, rather than rely on how things would be without them?

Also, how healthy are horses "in the wild"? How long and how well do they live?

Sorry, I sound like I'm on the pro-technology bandwagon. I'm not really, but I'm not convinced by the whole "back to nature" argument.

Incidentally, John Khonke is supportive of copra in his book 'Feeding and Nutrition of Horses'.

But each to their own of course :-) :-) :-)

Kylie27 (Guest)
17-08-02, 07:07 AM
"... I mean, don't you think that if horses were designed to eat coconut that they'd be born with an ability to climb trees and crack coconuts?"

Ok Cynic - I just could not resist this comment (no hard feelings - I just found it a little to irresistable to comment on!!!) but do you feed your horses apples?? Cause if they weren't meant to climb trees to get at those coconuts then they sure as hell weren't meant to climb trees to get those tasty apples either!!!!

Seriously though, it is really up to the individual and what they think their horses are more suited to. My quarter x mare gets lucerne chaff and oaten chaff with brewers yeast and sea weed meal mixed in it (garlic powder 2 a week) and she has never been sick in her life. She likes her feed, she does well on it and I stick with that mix for her. My 2 yo riding pony colt gets lucerne chaff, oaten chaff, copra, equibix, garlic powder, seaweed meal, brewers yeast etc and he blooms on that. Each horse has different requirements. I love the smell of copra though and my pony absolutely loves it too. He thrives on it!

KD

Cynic (Guest)
17-08-02, 08:07 AM
Ah yes Kylie but you've got to admit that chewing on an apple is a little different to chewing on the coconut husk. Imagine having to dig all those long bits of husk out that would get stuck in their teeth. Just like that yucky barley grass that they get out west, it gets stuck in their gums, the roof of their mouths, the corners of their mouths, anywhere and everywhere. Hey, one of my horses picks the pears off our tree too, but only the ones she can reach. I make her wait for the others to fall off themselves. I've been dying for someone to bring the Copra subject up so I could say that bit about climbing trees and cracking them open. Oh gosh, it's Friday, I needed a good laugh. Only one hour until they open the door and let me out for the weekend. TTFN

MandyE
17-08-02, 12:26 PM
I was actually talking to a friend about Copra meal today. My experience with it is that it didn't do the job I wanted it to, ie, fatten my horse. Instead I now use Mitavite Economix for my riding horse (and the old retired gelding), and the girls get Breeda or Economix, along with their chaff and hay.

I don't feed anything else now, although when I first started using the Economix I was also using rice pollard to fatten the horse, when I rang Mitavite to ask their advice they recommended replacing the rice pollard with their extruded corn Turbo Gold. I only needed half the amount of this a I fed of the pollard, and after about two months I was able to stop using it entirely, however I would use it to help fatten a horse quickly if I needed to.

With regard to the coconut line of thought, well, I've seen a horse eat a raw coconut! When I was on holiday in Fiji about 15 years ago there were a couple of horses on the island we were staying on (Plantation Island incidentally, where they filmed the Australian Temptation Island!), and those horses would eat anything! Including the cardboard box my sugar cubes had been in! LOL, but I do have on video, some footage of one of the horses eating a cracked coconut, scooping it out with his bottom teeth! We were naturally quite fasccinated with it, and I guess it's just a question of what you're used to!

trisha (Guest)
18-08-02, 03:46 AM
copra is as another posted stated not a complete food, it has the ability to fatten due to its high oil content, but it has little in the way of nutrient value vitamins and minerals, the people form copra will tell you this too, so if you are feeding a horse that needs extra nutrient requiremenst ie young, pregnant, lactating etc, then you would need to ensure that the extras are met with addition of further supplements. Soya Bean meal will do a similar job(if you are looking for weight gain), you feed less though but will provide more in the way of nutirents, the bright yellow soya meal needs to be used with care and is more suited to pregnant mares at the end of pregnancy and early lactation and fast growing young ones. the whiter soya meal(flour) which is available commercially as Meadow-soy and Equi-soy, (both the same product just different price) is less heating and will not go rancid as fast , it also has a higher level of amino acids.Once agin though these are not complete feeds just additives. hope this helps

KE (Guest)
18-08-02, 10:05 AM
It is interseting to read all the replies.. One lady said the other week that Economix was not pelletised but extruded. Well petelletised has nothing do with how it is made but what form it is made in Eg powcer pellets etc. I was surprised to hear that copra has had so much chemicals used as we were advised by a equine specailist on two seperate occasions by two different equine vets that it was the best feed to help a horse that has had s set back whether injury or other to regain weight the healthy way. We mix about a cup of copra to a litre of water made up of hot water with a about a dessertspoon molasses together and in all that makes about an i\small ice-cream container of copra. Each of the big horse get that in either half morning and night or as the stallions get hay nets of grass and lucerne hay in the morning and hard fed at night they get the lot in their feeds at night. Boy isn't it the truth that it can be hard to get them to eat it. Most of ours start on it as baby foals with their mothers and they will always eat it but if theyv'e never had it I've sometimes needed the patience of Jobe as it's taken a couple of weeks to get them to take to it. I've never had a horse that couldn't tolertate it health wise and it certainly bangs the weight on, I find it a good starter when they come in out of winter for the show season it gives them a kick start for the first few weeks and is gradually cut back as more grain etc is included and they are working harder.
How amny of you realise the danger of large amounts of Lucerne in any form it can and has stopped a horses heart and needs to be fed in well blalanced proportions. I imagine most of you would know if you read the side of the bag on most feeds it has three really important things, protien ie fattener, energy (heat's them up) and sodiuim the level of salt which if high can do damage to kidneys if fed to much or not enough water is available.

KE

trishk (Guest)
18-08-02, 01:10 PM
just to lighten things up a bit - When I lived in Darwin, mine got very good at picking mangoes and papayas off trees. They could actually pick the mango, suck the skin off, chew the fruit and spit out the stone. Funny, I tried giving him a mongo when I brought him back to Vic, and he didn't want to know about it? (mAngo that is - not mOngo!!!

shaz (Guest)
18-08-02, 01:52 PM
Back to the Copra issue(sorry). I have fed this once when I sent my better half to get "COPICE" & he returned with "Copra". My guys weren't to fussed about it a left it at the bottom of the bin but wet it down with molasses & they loved it. So I kept them on it for while. It did the job...fattened them up but about the nutrional value....not sure. My personal opinion....can't go past the basics....good quality hay....good quality oats & work them.
I know of some pony people that feed tonnes of bread....don't know about that one either.Any thoughts???

Oat Muncher (Guest)
19-08-02, 02:20 AM
Interesting subject, one of the reasons that I returned to basic feeds rather that processed, pelletised, extruded etc etc is because I can tailor make the feeds to the individuals requirements. Yes it does take me longer to make up the feeds but at least I know how much of vits, mins, salt, oil, grain etc etc that I am feeding. Lucerne is also a great feed and yes it should be fed in a balanced diet. Never heard of it stopping a horse heart though. Would like to see the autopsy results to confirm that one (sorry could help myself).

Copra Queen (Guest)
20-08-02, 06:00 AM
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was, last time i overfed my horse copra for a number of months he came out in heat lumps, this was purely feed related!!

Cynic (Guest)
20-08-02, 08:47 AM
Picture this: There is a little country out there in the Pacific Ocean and their only export product to support their economy is coconuts. Now, Australia enters into a trade agreement to buy coconuts from this island country to help them out. There are only so many Bounty chocolates that can be made and sold so after a late night brainstorming session, some bright spark comes up with the idea of selling off the rest of the excess coconuts to the stock feed industy. They do a bit of analysis and find that it can be used as a fattener and they market it as a horse and cattle feed supplement, do a bit of advertising and it becomes the latest and greatest fad. The government on the little island country is happy because their trade figures look good and John Howard and Peter Costello are happy because they don't have to eat the coconuts themselves. So, which country are we supporting?

Rusty#1 (Guest)
20-08-02, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments/opinions. Gives me something to think about. As suggested I would be feeding it as part of his diet along with oaten and lucerne chaff, oats and vitamins.
Thanks again.