PDA

View Full Version : subplexed or surplexed? vertebrae

Shannon (Guest)
14-09-02, 02:42 AM
Has anyone heard of this?? Apparantly horses suffer from this because their backs are long and their bellies pull them down so that vertebrae, instead of sitting apart, comes together and fuses????

Do you have any suggestiongs where I can get more information on this?

Caroline (Guest)
14-09-02, 03:04 AM
subluxation

Shannon (Guest)
14-09-02, 03:13 AM
Just found out it's sublaxation. Finding a bit of info out on human chiro websites. Still interested to hear from anyone if they know anything bout this.

katie NZ (Guest)
14-09-02, 03:23 AM
As far as I am aware a subluxation is misalignment of the spine only. When the vertebrae fuse this is different and (I cannot remember the technical term)is known as "kissing spine". This can be extrememly painful for a horse and has no cure. Whereas a subluxation can be corrected by massage and maybe manipulation.

Caroline (Guest)
14-09-02, 04:00 AM
I've read a few english magazines where horses have had their vertebrae removed under operation to alleviate serious kissing spines.
Not for the faint hearted.

rappie (Guest)
15-09-02, 08:07 AM
I think it would be only the spinous process of the vertebrae that is removed - the body of the vertebrae would be left intact wouldn't it?

Astralabe (Guest)
15-09-02, 08:33 AM
I'm sure you're right, rappie. I can't imagine how a whole vertebra could actually be removed, leaving the spinal cord somehow intact but unprotected?

katieNZ (Guest)
15-09-02, 10:39 AM
I have only heard of the spinous processes fusing to form kissing spine. I would imagine it could be removed but cause me to wonder how comfortable the horse would be being ridden as the spinal integrity would be interfered with.