PDA

View Full Version : Cuts, Gashes and Abrasions

princess (Guest)
01-10-02, 02:53 AM
okay so what are all the remedies for these?? What maximises healing and minimises scarring?
What does everyone find sucessful?

For cuts = purprle spray?
Gashes = honey? or yellow lotion?
Abrasions = Sea minerals ointment and alpha kerri moisturiser.

any other suggestions would be great as my young horse and just cut all along the inside of his upper hing leg and the outside of his front leg and its swollen...

Bec (Guest)
01-10-02, 02:57 AM
Gashes - Prednaderm, nothing is better!

Lindy (Guest)
01-10-02, 03:27 AM
I have found Aloe Vera very good and yes Prednoderm was very good for a young horse who cut a piece of skin under the front leg. Healed up with no proud flesh and hair back. Aloe Vera was used on a horse who had barbed wire wrapped around his hock which was areal mess that healed up with no scars and all the hair grew back. Just used the Aloe leaf opened up and then put staight onto wound and then bandaged to keep on and clean. Again no Proud flesh just nice clean skin.
Lindy

Cosmic (Guest)
01-10-02, 04:18 AM
I agree with Lindy, I have used Aloe Vera on all of my horses sometime or another, mainly for swelling. I also open the leaf up and just bandage it on. Although you do have to be careful on open wounds because the aloe vera heals quite quickly you have to make sure there is no infection otherwise it will close the infection in.

Debbie (Guest)
01-10-02, 04:27 AM
The thing I wouldn't be without (have all the stuff above plus more!!) is Lyddys "First A" ointment. Brilliant for most things.

moose
01-10-02, 07:15 AM
Im just treating a realy bad overreach with yellow lotion & its comming along wonderfully. By the sound of your horses injuries I'd bandage on as much yellow lotion as possible - saturate it. Sounds too big for ointments & probably too sore as well

major cut (Guest)
01-10-02, 08:11 AM
Well I have a lovely yearling filly who up untill Saturday had not a blemish on her!!!! She was set to be a lovely show horse untill she decided to gash her fetlock joint open (unstitchable due to position ) but at least didn't invade the joint itself.
The vets sugested that i have it operated on where they will stich it up and place in a cast or allternatevley treat as an open would. I have chosen the later as i have heard some not so good stories about operating and casting.
Anyway I am going to try Manuka honey on this would as i have been told that it gives a really good result.
So first bandage change is tomorrow and the honey treatment will begin. I n the past i have to say i have always used lotogen in either a dilute of neat form depending on the stage of the wound with very good results

SLINKY
01-10-02, 08:48 AM
My absolute first choice is Lucas Pawpaw Ointment - you can get it at chemist or health food shop - bandage on a blob and leave for 24 hours - leave open for 24 hours & repeat as long as necessary - this stuff is magic and will draw all debris and infection out of a wound, and make hair grown back. I've seen it do unbelieveable things! Also excellent for chapped lips (human, lol) and drawing out splinters!

Rae (Guest)
01-10-02, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure how bad it is but anyway:

A friend of mine, and very experiences and caring horsewoman, gave me this remedy she used on her QH who ripped most of the inside of his back leg off.

Everytime it would start to heal, he would rub it raw again, or finally, grabbed it with his teeth and ripped the whole thing open again (the flap of skin). Basically this is because he got so damn itchy as it was healing.

She rinsed the area and threw a handful of clean or neat lime onto it (not the chemically treated industrial stuff naturally). This stopped it irritating him and it has healed almost seamlessly, it's beautiful.

If you're interested I can find out from her exactly what she used and how she continued treatment? Just post your email and I'll give her a ring.

Cheers

Judy R (Guest)
01-10-02, 02:18 PM
I have an ointment made by a Mr Francis in Toowoomba Qld - called " cut'n'cure". Have had horrendous unstitchable wounds- used this and in no time at all well on the way to being cured with NO proud flesh.. After using this product I had literally NO scarring and hair grew back.
For drawing ointment for foreign bodies in wounds - magnoplasm - can be bought from chemists- expensive but REALLY works even for drawing of hoof abscesses..

Hope this is successful.

For information re the ointment - email me on judkin@hotmail.com

princess (Guest)
02-10-02, 02:21 AM
prednaderm - from a chemist or from horseland
yes i have heard of pawpaw cream and am getting some today.
with honey do you just put it in the wound?? and leave it or what?
what is the fastest thing for growing hair back like for rubs etc???
and lastly - hoof ointment which one is THE BEST???
i am fond of stockholm tar (watered down with metho) and of joseph lyddys hoof grease smells great...
thanks guys

Debbie (Guest)
02-10-02, 03:11 AM
Hmmm... don't like the sound of metho. Wouldn't that dry the hoof out?

I like the one that smells of lemon - is that Lyddys? The one that I think works best though is Effol - the green one.

Autumn
02-10-02, 03:17 AM
I use Sea Minerals the minor things. Havent had any major wounds for ages but my friends have had great success with raw honey and also aloe vera.

Best hoof treatment is water. Oils and other stuff do absolutley nothing - ask any GOOD farrier :D Hoof dressings arnt absorbed more than 2mm at the most so are a waste of money.

princess (Guest)
02-10-02, 06:51 AM
so get your horse to stand in a bucket of water?? :) hehe
i think it is watered down with Kero because straight stockholm tar is something ? can't remember but wouldn't that make it flammable?? even if its only a bit?

ooh well bought some pawpaw cream today and will give it a go this arvo.
thanks guys
another good suggestions??

silly_chick_18 (Guest)
02-10-02, 01:44 PM
My mare has a habit of cutting her face at every opportunity (although I don't know how she does it). I've used Norvidine cream on every cut she's had and they've always healed really well. The hair grows back very quickly and there is rarely any scarring. I get mine from the Vet but I don't know where else you can get it from.
Silly...