PDA

View Full Version : Bell Boots???

die hard eventer
11-11-00, 12:51 PM
I have a young TB gelding who is always pulling his shoes off, on average about every 1 or 2 weeks.
This is of course a huge hassle, and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to keep his shoes ON between farrier visits.
At the moent I have bell boots on him, is it ok to leave these on all the time?
Thanks for any help.

Lorraine
11-11-00, 01:55 PM
All my shod horses wear bell boots all the time, as they all seem to fool around the paddock and they protect them from overreaches and pulled shoes. The only time I take them off is for dressage! I only use the pull on ones, as the ones with velcro sometiums get a sharp corner that can rub a sore spot. And the pull on ones are so hard to pull off too!! Try leaving them on and just check that they are not rubbing around the pastern.

Shahron
11-11-00, 02:23 PM
If you farrier fits the hind shoe a millimetre or two back, you horse wont forge and get his front feet and remove the shoe. In extreme cases, you can roll the front toe a little making the front feet leave the ground earlier so again, the hind foot wont catch the front.
Consider a new farrier - I have 6 horses shod and mine have lost two shoes (in total) in the past year. Both on same horse, both by bucking in the mud by the gate (that only he creates).
My farrier does all the horses here and has done mine for years and I've never had much trouble - not trying to sound like a pain, it's just that I used to have horses lose shoes all the time, and now I realise, they shouldn't if the job is done properly.

die hard eventer
11-11-00, 02:55 PM
Shahron would you be able to give me the name of your farrier?