PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred with heat stress???

Mel (Guest)
27-11-02, 10:01 PM
I am concerned about my 11 y/o thoroughbred gelding. Went to feed him last night and appeared dis-interested and reluctant to move. This horse is usually one which jumps all over you to get his food and the change was rapid. There is literally no ground cover here with the drought and what there is he doesn't eat anyway, spends most of his day just standing in the one spot with his head hung low. He has never carried any weight and my efforts to 'beef him up' just havn't worked now with him loosing his appetite I am rather worried. It's not colic, well there are no prevailing symptoms of colic, his feed regime consits of bran, cool grains, sunflower oil, livamol, mollasis & lucern chaff, along with hay, he seems a little more interested with hay and left the mix alone (I found it partially eaten this morning) I am wondering if the heat is causing the loss of appetite and what can I do to encourage him to eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Lisa (Guest)
27-11-02, 11:30 PM
Mel do you know if he is dehydrated at all? I did once see a horse with sunstroke (not sure if this is what you mean by heat stress or not) and the horse was given some IV fluids and hosed down. I would definately check first though his water intake, try and keep him out of the sun, and try and keep track of whether he is still doing droppings and wee'ing. At least by doing that if you need to call the vet you have some extra info to give him.
Good Luck

Jomac (Guest)
28-11-02, 12:57 AM
Mel, I have had a horse do exactly the same thing and to me, my horse looked depressed. (Standing in paddock, head hanging, little or no interest in his feed.) I checked his vitals and everything was fine and when I worked him, everything was alright although he was lacking his usual spark. I assumed he had gone off his usual feed and even rang his former owner to ask for advice. My horses were agisted at the time and there was little or no pick in his paddock, which I was supplementing in his feed. Over the next few days, whilst trying to sort out a new diet for him, I asked the property owner if I could move him to another paddock which had been rested and had a fair bit of pick in it. Within 24 hours, he was back to his old self, eating his feeds although not as interested in the hay as he had grass as a better alternative.

Could this relate to your situation? If not, check his vitals and then ring your vet for advice - you may need to run blood on him to fully check him out. Don't worry, it can be sorted out, and don't forget to give us an update.