PDA

View Full Version : 'Working with Horses' Versus 'Office Work'

Jess (Guest)
28-11-02, 06:40 AM
I am currently working in a reception/admin position which I have done for several years now. However, I am now finding it difficult to keep my butt in my seat, I need to be more active. Therefore I am considering an alternative job with horses possibly in the Racehorse industry. Has anybody made the move from Office to Horses. Although there are not many options in the horse industry and wondering people's experiences - good and bad would be great.

Showgoer (Guest)
28-11-02, 07:25 AM
If you earn good money working in the office.... stay there cause you're never going to earn great money working with horses.... If you don't earn money can't pay for your own horse!!

freedom (Guest)
28-11-02, 08:35 AM
life is about living! If you can't stand your job.. move on! Obviously it is harder to come accross a well paid position in the horse industry, but if you enjoy your job it would be worth it. What about going for a compromise, an admin position within an equine industry, even a position in an agency that deals with animals such as the RSPCA, National Parks and Wildlife, CSIRO etc.

Mel (Guest)
28-11-02, 08:49 AM
On days like the last couple that we have had, i would pick an office anyday. Between the heat and the flies and staff leaving early,working with racehorses is driving me nuts. Seriously i love the horses but this heat, dust and no rain is not making the job very pleasurable. So maybe stay in the office until summer is over. By the way money for working with horses is not very good either.

rubiton (Guest)
28-11-02, 11:08 AM
After I left school I worked for a small country racehorse trainer mornings (about 5.30 to 8am) then later had an office job during the day. Only drawback is that you are all but asleep by 7pm.

Have you considered perhaps seeing if you could work somewhere in the mornings then say work part time (or say temping if you find something to try around horses) in an office instead of giving up the admin job all together.