PDA

View Full Version : Umbilical Hernia

Kelley (Guest)
10-12-02, 07:10 AM
On 5 October my mare had a gorgeous filly. She has since developed a lump in the remains of her umbilical cord. Some of it shrivelled and took quite a few weeks to drop off, but she is now left with a little bit of umbilical, a round lump the size of a 1 cent piece in diametre and then her belly. It is not sore to touch, does not have any discharge. She does not have a temperature so I know it is not an infection. It has been there now for about 4 weeks and is neither growing or getting smaller. Any ideas???

I have scrounged around the internet for pictures (very few and far between) and the pictures I have seen show HUGE lumps double or even triple the size of my girl's lump. I know that I am likely going to have to have a vet out to look at it, but if there are any people out there that can give me their experiences with umbilical hernias that would be terrific.

Thank you.

Safety First! (Guest)
10-12-02, 07:27 AM
If I were you I would be calling the vet to ask their advice not asking on a forum.

Do remember this is the area that all your little girls "stuffing" is in. You don't want her "stuffing" falling out do you.

It may not appaear to be much of a problem now, but perhaps professional advice would be the go rather than waiting to see what others say. The vet will most probably be able to set your mind at rest better, and you will know it is good advice that is corret.

:-)

sonya (Guest)
10-12-02, 10:02 AM
hi, i actually had a puppy that developed one soon after birth, now i know it's not the same, but we had a few people tell us including the vet to just try pushing it in just gently a few times a day, but i didnt do that as just didnt want to i thought it would hurt my dog, but the vet also said it might just go away, so we left it and after a good nine months you cant see it anymore so i spose you could say it has gone, but i would get your horse seen by a vet just to be sure everything is fine.

good luck.

jogy (Guest)
10-12-02, 10:11 AM
From what you have described the hernia does not sound very big and a vet probably won't worry about it if it is only small.
I have had two foals that have had unbilical hernias. The first one was huge and I put her in to have it done under general anasetic. The second one was not very big and the vet came out, drugged the foal, turned him upside down and put a type of rubber band on it. After a week to 10 days it fell off and healed up completely, no problems.
As I say, it all depends on the size of it. You should contact your vet to see which course of action he will take.
It is alot easier to treat when they are little though.
Good luck with your foal.

Berni (Guest)
10-12-02, 01:41 PM
Bill and I used to breed quite a lot of TB foals and one year we had one with a sizable umbilical hernia. The surgical cure will involve spending at least $1,000.00 and so Bill looked all over the Internet to see if he could find some alternative ideas (or just more information).

Sure enough he found some advice which recommended the manual retention method. This involved pushing the hernia back up into the abdomen.

Gravity unfortunately works against this so I got a piece of soft plastic about 2-3 inches round in diameter and put a piece of cotton wool against the horse and then the plastic, then I bandadaged it to with elastoplast (vetwrap slipped) and left it for abour 4 days (obviously checking it several times a day to see that it was not too tight or causing any problems.

I did this for 3-4 weeks and reduced the hernia and it went away.

My vet was a little disbelieving that such a simple remedy could work! It is worth a try. But do be careful that you do not cause other problems such as restricting things by having the bandage too tight.

Oh...by the way. By the end of the 4 days the elastoplast was still holding but not all that difficult to gently pull away from the foals coat.

Good luck and please let us know what your outcome is.

imported_bill
10-12-02, 01:47 PM
Berni's explanation is a little easier to understand if you realise that the elastoplast was wrapped right around the foal's abdomen like a girth.